Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Best breathable Waterproof?.
  • huggis
    Free Member

Is it possible to get an operation to have your sweat glands removed? Might be cheaper!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

This is the worst time of year for breathability – too warm and damp outside for the temperature and humidity differential needed to drive vapour out through the fabric.

molgrips
    Free Member

I rode to the station wearing an old Goretex GTX top, and got very clammy and damp. I rode from the station at the other end in just my base layer, and arrived just as clammy and damp, despite it not raining.

Just that time of year 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve done 30 odd miles over the Pennines and back in pretty much torrential rain, on the road. Haven’t got my act together to sort out mudguards yet, so had to grin and bear it.

I got wet.

This time of year is difficult partly because it’s still warm, so over-dressing can be a problem, and where I ride, with big ups and big downs, overheating and overcooling are issues.

To some extent I’m not bothered about getting wet; I’ve done it for so many years that it’s simply not an issue, and I’ve got so many bloody cycling clothes that I can dress in a different outfit everyday if I want to.

I wore a Gabba short sleeve jacket with armwarmers and 99p gloves from Ulverston market plus bib tights and rubbery overshoes.

As noted, I got wet.

I was comfortable and warm all the way round, sweating a bit up the hills, but not cold going down them, and the jacket let me walk out of the door, knowing I was in for a soaking.

The perfect waterproof is still a long way off and claims of breathability and waterproofing are largely fantasy. We are better equipped than ever before, it would be nice to think that this will translate into more actual riding being done…. 😉

huggis
    Free Member

on and on..if you’re still on … any idea on the weight of the Altura Varium jacket?

Can’t believe how few manufactures quote weights!

huggis
    Free Member

Between that and the Mavic Equipe jacket

onandon
    Free Member

I just stuck it on the scales and the large is 372 grams.
    Edit- the mavic is very similar to my mavic inferno but without the additional padding and insulation.
    They are the two best winter jackets I’ve ever used but the varium gets the medial for lightweight waterproofness 🙂

huggis
    Free Member

cheers on and on….slightly concerned about the breathablity of the Varium. I assume it has some sort of membrane?

onandon
    Free Member

No membrane , the fabric is a real bizarre texture – I think treadz do free delivery and returns if you fancy having a look without cost

huggis
    Free Member

cool – will order one. how is the sizing? I’m 5’11 and 85kg, 40 inch chest, 36inch waist. Was thinking XL?

onandon
    Free Member

Go for the L
    I’m 12.5 stone 41 chest and 5.10
    The XL was massive on me

huggis
    Free Member

Hmm – I want to be 12.5 stone! Maybe I’ll sweat down from 14!

onandon
    Free Member

Tough call. Free returns so one of each size 🙂

Kryton57

I found last year that my Altura Transformer was ace – kept me warm an not very sweaty with a 90min window for rain. I tended to ride in that and keep a montane velo nearby – the two together would probably be as close to hot/dry ish as I’d ever want to be.

I am on search for an “ideal” jacket hence reading this thread, but I’m think the only real compromise is to accept that you will get wet, so just try to do the best you can to stay warm.

Kryton57

@ crikey if you are reading this – which Castelli arm warmers – nanoflex?

crikey
    Free Member

Sorry, been watching that bloody bake off thing.

No, I’ve not got the Nanoflex armwarmers, just standard Roubaix lycra ones. At this time of year I don’t mind having wet forearms; they act like a radiator for when you get too hot.

The short sleeves on the Gabba and on the Sottile shorty jacket are very reminiscent of the way we used to cut down the boil-in-the-bag jackets for racing. Short sleeves on waterproofs are a great idea for everything other than long freezing winter rides; I can’t remember ever getting cold arms!

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone got an Endura Flite or Windchill II jacket then? They both look good.

Kryton57

Or a Photon?

huggis
    Free Member

…Torpedo?

huggis
    Free Member

So I got my new jackets. Turns out I’m a fat b@@s. None of this roadie kit seems to fit! So back to square one. Need to pick MTB or general outdoor stuff me thinks.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Best breathable Waterproof?.’ is closed to new replies.