Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Best breathable Waterproof?.
  • huggis
    Free Member

So what does everyone think is the best of current generation jackets? Namely for road biking so want something that packs down small ( ideally less than 300g). Been looking at the Castelli eVent jackets and the Sugio Neoshells. Had bad experience with Goretex (paclite) so not so keen on those..

molgrips
    Free Member

Goretex and most others are a membrane that sucks water through it. eVent and I think Endura’s PTFE actually contain thousands of tiny holes that actually let air through. A slight decrease in wind resistance, but way more breathable. The airflow is perceptable as being slightly cooler when in wind but this is perfect for riding of course.

I’m never buying Goretex again.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

eVent FTW.

huggis
    Free Member

Yes would be good to see some technical bunff comparing different fabrics. Manufacturers also are very poor at a) stating weights and b) waterproof and breathability ratings.

And WHY THE **** DO SO MANY TOP JACKETS ONLY COME IN BLACK OR GREY! Possibly the two worst colours for biking!

crikey
    Free Member

Castelli Gabba for foul weather riding, but you need to choose the day to wear it. It can be too warm if you get it wrong.

Best new bit of Castelli kit other than the Gabba is this, from here.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Castelli/Sottile-Shorty-Jacket/2AAB?gclid=CPDZvIivo7oCFXMRtAode1EAJw

I used to use boil-in-the-bag jackets in the past, but cutting the sleeves off at the elbow makes them smaller, easier to get on and off while still riding, but almost as functional.

huggis
    Free Member

Should also add I want to use it for touring (if that makes a difference!).

matt_outandabout

The problem with breathability ratings is they are lab based, not real world. How many seams, double fabric layers at pockets, dirt, temps, humidity, the base layer below, cut of jacket, How well you vent it etc is far more important than a rating of some kind.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Possibly the two worst colours for biking!

Agreed. For road cycling anyway. But if anyone can tell me how to remove black chain oil stains from my hiviz Montane jacket, I would be very grateful indeed. I have no such problems with my grey Pace jacket.

matt_outandabout

I agree, we need some nice bright colours that are not just lumi yellow…

huggis
    Free Member

Yeah Matt guess this is difficult for overall jacket. The materials however…

matt_outandabout

As I said, I would look for good cut, fewest seams and pockets, a ‘good’ known fabric from a known brand – and use the zip and any vents as much as you can..
    Montane Minimus / Patagonia M10 / etc could teach a few bike jacket manufacturers a thing or two.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a normal yellow jacket, which is a good compromise between visibility and yuckiness. It’s a crap jacket though. Sorry, that does not help much.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I have one of those Altura ‘Night Vision’ ones. Boil in the bag hell. But well visible so I put up with it. Cutting the arms off sounds a very good idea.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have a look at the Bontrager Packable eVent. Available in a red that isnt ‘safety’ red. Top kit.

IHN

Flashy – do you know anywhere actually selling them?

or, there’s this:

http://www.pacecycles.com/?page_id=132

huggis
    Free Member

Found the Bontrager jackets at Trekcoventry.com.

Look really good

huggis
    Free Member

Ok the Bontranger eVent, Castelli eVent and Gore Oxygen Active Shell (due to huge amount of positive reviews) are on short list. The Sugio neoshell seems to be a bit heavy and poorly cut. Anyone own any of these?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IHN et al, I bought mine from Triton. Not sure if they still have any, though.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Neoshell, best fabric by someway in my experience…if you have not tried it you really can’t comment

Spin
    Free Member

I’m never buying Goretex again.

I’m never buying eVent again.

The two items I’ve had lost all waterproofness within a year of purchase. They did breath well though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Waterproofness or did they just loose the DWR coating? That you ate supposed to renew regularly?

I’ve never known a jacket of any kind actually leak.

Spin
    Free Member

Properly gubbed. No amount of DWR treatment would help.

karnali
    Free Member

Pearl izumi wxb

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Been riding with a sugoi RSE neoshell jacket recently and it’s been shitting all over the gore active shell and eVent jackets I’ve also been riding in. If the figures are too be believed it’s not as waterproof as the others but if you’re looking for breathability, it’s a stunning bit of kit.

angeldust
    Free Member

Neoshell is the best material, but jacket choice is still fairly limited.

scotroutes

GoreTex Active Shell really is rather good. You are right to have it on your shortlist.

huggis
    Free Member

Hungry monkey…..how packable is the NeoShell? Any idea on weight? Guess it’s too early to comment on durability.

huggis
    Free Member

Neoshell is the best material, but jacket choice is still fairly limited.

Yes I think Sugio has an exclusive on the material for cycling jackets :-(. Means all other choices are mountain / running jackets which with hoods and poor fit for biking.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

274 grams for the RSE
    271 for a gore power active shell.

Both size L

Virtually nothing to separate them in terms of pack size. Worth bearing in mind that the sugoi is from their Pro fit range so more of a race fit.

I find the arms on the sugoi ever so slightly short and there’s not as much drop on the tail as the gore one but it’s got more features and breathes better so it’s my preferred jacket. (Comparing sugoi rse neoshell to gore power active shell – the gore being considerably cheaper)

matt_outandabout

I’ve never known a jacket of any kind actually leak.

*All* of them leak, you just need to wear it more…I think every bit of waterproof (membran’ed) kit I have owned has leaked eventually – it is just a matter of when.
    I chose to buy cheaper fabric recently, take a hit on breath-ability, in the hunt for durability.
    Having said that, it looks like Paramo are finally changing the cut and style of their stuff, so looks like I can head back towards that next time. I loved the fabric, disliked the cut, over complexity and styling – but they breathed well and lasted for ever.

Spin
    Free Member

Having said that, it looks like Paramo are finally changing the cut and style of their stuff

It’s a shame they aren’t actually waterproof.

Many swear by them but my experience is that they only really good in the snow rather than rain and tend to be too hot for cycling.

huggis
    Free Member

Agree with Spin. I bought a Paramo Active Light earlier this year and it did not live up to breathablity claims.

huggis
    Free Member
    Munqe-chick
    Free Member

There is no such thing as a breathable waterproof!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

If you’re built like an 8 year old boy, get the Castelli.

huggis
    Free Member

Hmm Rusty… Think an XXL may be in order then! My body is built for comfort not speed 😉

Northwind

Waterproof gillet, wet arms to keep you cool, sorted. By the time it gets too cold for that to work, just about any waterproof is suitable. Breathability is nice but it doesn’t cool you, it just lets your bucket of sweat escape a bit. Being too hot in a jacket is still horrible even if it’s breathable.

RicB

Ime no waterproof fabric can cope with the amount of sweat a mtber produces.

I found event the best of the membranes but still got the prickly/sweaty feeling. I use a merino softshell now, only wear a waterproof if it’s properly tipping down

Paramo is great for walking- very comfortable and breathable but it is warm. Iirc the Leeds rain-room lab tests showed Paramo can shift 300ml water/hr. A mtber can produce 1000ml/hr

Wind proofing is far more important than waterproofing when on a bike

molgrips
    Free Member

Matt – are your jackets actually leaking or just getting damp on the inside through condensation and then feeling cold through water falling on the outside? Not much practical difference of course, as you ate still cold and wet, but it affects what you do about it.

Endura PTFE jackets are going cheap on CRC currently btw.

footflaps

From what I’ve read Goretex and Event are virtually identical. Both PTFE membranes only GTX bonds theirs to an extra layer, hence slightly less breathable but harder wearing, although the newer GTXs have lost the extra layer (or have a thinner one), so performs very similar to Event.

Lots of detail here: http://www.facewest.co.uk/Gore-Tex-eVent.html?template=1274172004

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Best breathable Waterproof?.’ is closed to new replies.