• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best bottle of Whisky for £60 present – anyone know of any special offers?
  • BigR

Hi, looking for a decent bottle of Whisky for father-in-law. Probably not an Islay one. I think he prefers more of a Speyside type. Any ideas?

Thanks

daviek

Whisky is a personal thing everybody is different, might be better asking him? If you know what he usually drinks you could always look at a whisky chart for something like it but different…. if that makes sense?

dantsw13

If he likes smoother whisky the Glenfiddich 18yo is lovely, and about £60. I picked up a bottle in Japan for £35 and it is very good.

tiggs121
    Free Member

somafunk

A very nice speyside is Balvenie Caribbean here, and a pair of these tulip whisky glasses here, may ensure you get a taste

daviek

Caribbean cask is one of my favourites and is in our local tesco for £42.

ninfan
    Free Member

Haig Club, comes in a lovely blue bottle and everything, David Beckham approves….

😉

I’m afraid that I always end up recommending this one – but it really is bloody lovely: Abelour A’bunadh

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=36964

or for an Islay fan, a lovely bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail,

sparksmcguff

Navigator at 40 quid is good, though I resent paying 40 when it was 30. And a nice glass or two.

Longrow red, though that might have been 80. Lagavulin, though it is an islay, rarer spey side would be a Mortlach of some description.

BigR

Thanks for the suggestions. The Balvenie sounds promising. Had a bit of a shock when I looked up a bottle I was given as a best man a few yrs ago. 25yr old Macallan anniversary malt in a wooden box – scary. Now the wife says I should sell it but should I drink it??

gordimhor

I recommend The Singleton of Glen Ord 15yo . I prefer island malts but I was very sad when I finished that bottle

mountainman

This is a smooth single malt of the Irish variety
    http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/irish-whiskey-home-page/irish-whiskeys-from-a-to-z/tyrconnell-malt

get 2 for your money!

Cougar

What about going leftfield, a nice Yamazaki?

beagle
    Free Member

I’d plump for a Tomintoul 21 if you could get hold of some with your requirements. Very easy drinking reasonably priced 21 year old Speysider. Usually circa £60.

dantsw13

if you are thinking Japanese I’d thoroughly recommend the Cask strength Nikka Whisky From the Barrell.

justatheory
    Free Member

Glendronach Revival 15, Benromach Organic, Macallan 12 sherry cask, Glenlivet 18, Glenfarclas 15 are all nice Speysiders.

kcal

25yo Macallan is lovely.

TBH I had a couple of other ‘collectable’ bottles I had that I realised I wouldn’t dare drink all of (or was afraid I’d get stuck in to) – so sold them and bought two or three ‘nice’ bottles on the proceeds.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Another vote for Balvennie Caribbean Cask. Although I bought a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter’s Gold in Tesco at the weekend for £25, its delicious. Its also £25 on amazon.

Rather than spending £60 on one bottle buy him two at £30ish, I’d prefer that.

BigR

Thanks for all the suggestions, have gone for the Balvennie Caribbean.

As for the Macallan, I think its value is rarity rather than the whisky so cashing in and getting a couple of nice bottles as kcal suggest seems the best idea.

kcal

oh, and if you like you can always treat yourself to a dram of the 25yo in a bar some time 🙂

I think it’s a 25yo in wooden box – in bottom of drinks cupboard – I have a spoonful left in. Should really just have some as I’m sure it’s not going to be doing any good. Just that mental leap to polish it off. Thankfully bought it at trade a long time ago when they weren’t silly money.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best bottle of Whisky for £60 present – anyone know of any special offers?’ is closed to new replies.