Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best beer garden near Guildford?
  • zippykona

Meeting friends for dinner on Wednesday and it’s meant to be really hot.
    Recommendations please.

njee20
    Free Member

Define ‘near’, there are dozens of nice pub gardens around there. The Wayside is nice, the Inn on the Lake in Godalming likewise.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well it’s a long way to the north from there 😉

jimdubleyou

The Jolly Farmer has good food.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Stag at Eashing – nice garden by the river (might be served by mini THM), good food but pricey beer. Very nice spot to sit outside.

theotherjonv

White Hart at Pirbright is nice.

Percy Arms at Chilworth – owned by South Africans with a reputation for MEAT!

Which Jolly Farmer? Worplesdon or Bramley?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Volunteer. Abinger.

jimdubleyou

Which Jolly Farmer? Worplesdon or Bramley?

Worplesdon. It’s a Fullers pub.

+ 1 on the White Hart in Pirbright. My uncle lives in the village.

gregsd
    Free Member

The Merry Harriers in Hambledon, which is about 8 miles south of Guildford.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Has the Merry Harriers changed hands yet?

jambalaya
    Free Member

In Guildford itself not much

I would suggest William Bray in Shere (Shere Drop or Ranmore Ale) or William IV in Little London – EDIT: I saw you said dinner, food pretty good at William Bray. If you are eating in Guildford itself a pub with a beer garden in the town is a bit hard to find, really just a few pubs with outdoor seating/benches. I would suggest either White House or Weyside both by the river.

Shere village church would worth a quick stroll around, ducks on the river. All very picturesque. Used in quite a few films, eg Bridget Jones. Used to be on my xc loop and/or a ride to Peaslake for S/H

EDIT2: Percey Arms I have eaten at many times, not really that memorable to be honest

sam_underhill

In Guildford itself the White House next to the river is ok. It’s not a garden as such, but it’s outdoors next to the river. Fullers beers, over 21 policy so less zombies walking around playing pokemon.

gregsd
    Free Member

Has the Merry Harriers changed hands yet?

No, still for sale if anyone fancies it!

theotherjonv

Only time I’ve been to the William Bray we waited bloody hours for awful service, although the food was certainly good.

xcgb
    Free Member

Compasses Inn Gomshall has a great garden just a few miles outside Guildford

Gotama
    Free Member

Compasses Inn Gomshall

It was up for sale a while back but the food used to be terrible there. Interested if the food is better now?

Black Swan at Ockham is pretty reliable and has a decent beer garden if you’re coming from London way.

Onslow Arms at West Clandon and the Queens Head at East Clandon also both fit your bill although the former is more beer patio. Certainly a very pleasant place to sit though. Food excellent at both.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There is the pub behind the Tunsgate – I think it used to be an Italian restuarant but I have forgotten the name.

Jakester
    Free Member

Depends how far you want to go, but I went to the Duke of Cumberland’s Arms at Henley (nr Midhurst) on Sunday, and it had a great garden and cracking food.

xcgb
    Free Member

Compasses Inn Gomshall
    It was up for sale a while back but the food used to be terrible there. Interested if the food is better now?

It is better now, less pub grub bit more modern but the prices have gone up too….

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Volunteer. Abinger.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Depends how far you want to go, but I went to the Duke of Cumberland’s Arms at Henley (nr Midhurst) on Sunday, and it had a great garden and cracking food.

+1 but probably a bit far. One of my favourite eating pubs in the region

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you fancy returning to the 70s there’s the Withies in Compton.
    A fantastic rose clad pergola with tables below and big old fashioned coloured light bulbs.
    The Italian bar staff are all about 80 and wear black ties.
    They make their own crisps.
    Can’t remember the beer and it will be pricey, but worth it for the crisps alone.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best beer garden near Guildford?’ is closed to new replies.