Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Best BB for slightly knackered BB shell?
  • BeveledEdge
    Free Member

Hi all,

Last week I leant my bike (Kinesis XC130) to a friend for him to race. Before he managed to race it, he nociced that the drive side BB cup (HT11) seemed to be loose in the frame, so he didn’t end up racing it. When I got it home and took it appart, the cup came out on the spindle of the crank 😯 . Luckily most of the damage seems to have occured on the BB cup (XT), and the threads in the shell are still useable, if a little thinner than before. I’ve chased them out but it hasn’t helped much. I’d like to replace the BB with something that won’t need removing very often, thus minimising further wear on the threads.

As far as I can tell I have two options:

1) Get a BB with replaceable bearings that you can replace without removing the shell and more or less glue it in, but I can’t think of a suitable BB?

2)Get a BB with particularly deep cups/lots of threads, thus engaging the BB in the shell past the damaged threads. Does anyone know of a BB like this?

Thanks!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Uberbike or gusset do BB’s that will fit, don’t need to be removed – you just change the bearings.

Chris King would be an option too, as they seem to last forever.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Saint HTII BBs have longer threaded portion on the drive-side. Hope have removeable bearings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Best BB for slightly knackered BB shell?’ is closed to new replies.