Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best bank for current acc
  • ti456neal
    Free Member

After too many years of being mucked around and ripped off by barclays, I want to change bank.
    Everyone has nightmare stories about one bank or another but just want some general recommendations.
    Only need the account as a day to day current account.
    Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Neal

allthegear
    Free Member

I have nothing but excellent service from Smile (part of co-operative).

Rachel

fadda

Generally, the online banks get good reviews for service. Bear in mind that every single one of them will end up charging for banking services (money transmission, atm withdrawals etc) in due course, so things will be changing.

Copy & Pasted from elsewhere…

Halifax Reward Current Account. (NOT the Ultimate Reward one)

You must be 18 or over.
    You must pay in 1000 GBP/month.
    If you do, and your balance stays above 0 GBP for the month, they’ll pay you 5 GBP.
    No fees.

You can have three accounts.
    Hubby/wifey can have three accounts.
    It doesn’t matter where the 1001 GBP comes from. (standing order from another Halifax account is fine)

So if you have 1004 GBP you’d like to save, go open three Halifax accounts. Plonk 1002 GBP in account A, and 1 GBP in accounts B and C. Set up a standing order from A-B, B-C, C-A every month. (allow time for them to clear) Halifax will pay you 180 GBP/year, or a shade under 18% interest on money that you can access instantly should you need it. Get the wife to sign up and you could get 360 GBP/year (but check how long payments take to clear/that you won’t run into bank holiday/weekend type problems – I haven’t done this, mine just go on the 2nd/12th/22nd)
    It works.
    I had a Halifax account anyway. When I heard this I opened two more.
    I’ve been getting an extra £10 a month for over a year.

DrJ

First Direct.

End of.

DT78
    Free Member

I would not recommend first direct. $35 if you go over your overdraft and another $35 to review your overdraft. Also charge $10 a month if you pay less than 1500 in a calendar month. We did use as our joint account but all the bank holidays would Dick around with payments in and we kept getting charged. Often payments were taking over a week to appear. Moved to Lloyd no issues money appears almost straight away

Never had a problem with Nat West in over 20 years. Nothing to write home about, but then never had a problem.

Have my business account with them too and even get a phone call from my BA manager to check things are ok occassionally and if I need more funds etc, which contrasts to a small business owner I was talking to who uses Barclays and they treated her like shit.

pikey999
    Free Member

As above first direct awesome customer service every time

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve been with smile for about 10yrs now. No issues, and without exception the people on the end of the phone have been helpful and entirely competent. Never gone past the overdraft limit though so no idea on charges if you do.

matt_bl
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    I’ve been with smile for about 10yrs now. No issues, and without exception the people on the end of the phone have been helpful and entirely competent. Never gone past the overdraft limit though so no idea on charges if you do.

+1

The smile staff that I have dealt with have been efficient and friendly. The account setup and day-to-day use has been simplicity itself.

Matt

Gribs

I’ve never had any problems with my HSBC account. I had a Natwest one for a while (needed for a job) and they weren’t as good. Halifax on the other hand are a bunch of shits in terms of messing up standing order dates and then charging for it.

atlaz
    Free Member

+1 for First Direct

onewheelgood

first direct here too – been a customer for 20 years and the service has been brilliant throughout.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best bank for current acc’ is closed to new replies.