Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best bang for the buck / stiffest 29er trail wheelset
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

What the best bang for the buck / stiffest 29er wheelset chaps

Looking to put thees on an Ibis Ripley which will be built to cover eveything from trail to XC

Any thoughst would be much appreciated

Oli

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s your budget and do you have a target weight?

I have been through a few pairs of 29er wheels until I found a set stiff enough for my riding. Which happened to be the very reasonably priced Superstar Tech 4 wheels (DS25 rims).

Not the lightest but not stupidly heavy either.

njee20
    Free Member

Everything from trail to XC? So, XC?

As above, impossible question without some guidance. Light Bicycle rims in your choice of width on DT240s?

tomd
    Free Member

Issue 95 of the mag had a small grouptest of wheels that fit your bill. Worth a look as a starter anyway.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

More of a stiff wide trail rim really

Not too worried about ultimate weight but ideally northing more than stans flows

warns74
    Free Member

Spank oozy trail 295 are well worth a look IMO.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I have some Mavic 719s, which seem to have withstood a fair battering! They may be worth a look.

andyl46
    Free Member

I got Easton Havens when they were on offer from CRC for next to nothing. Got the kit to fix the loosening issue and fitted it straight off, presently running those tubelessly on my Ripley. Stiff and strong, not super wide but pretty light. Other option is Light bicycle rims on hubs of your choice. Personally, the silly money for 240s isn’t worth it over 350s, as the rotating mass at the hub makes next to no difference in how the wheel rides. A small increase in overall weight, sure, but spend the money elsewhere IMO.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best bang for the buck / stiffest 29er trail wheelset’ is closed to new replies.