• This topic has 43 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wicki.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Best app for checking brake lever angle?
  • I like to have everything perfect on my bike, anyone know any good apps?

alpin
    Free Member

Du willst uns verarschen, oder?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

EnduroLevers.com have a great app for this.

tthew

Well I’m in a quandary now, as I don’t even know what angle they’re meant to be! Presumably very different for my 26″ FS and 29er SS rigid bike?

allan23
    Free Member

Use the phone keypad, ring local bike shop and when they stop laughing book it in for setting up 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have a spirit level app on my phone called bubble that works pretty well. Used it for saddle set up, but never brake levers.

bails

Well I’m in a quandary now, as I don’t even know what angle they’re meant to be! Presumably very different for my 26″ FS and 29er SS rigid bike?

You’ve got the 29er specific levers though right? Right?!

kayak23

Heard it all now… 😀

RobHilton
    Free Member

I use a tape measure for distance to ground & from bar. It plays on my mind otherwise.

leffeboy

It’s parallel to the manufacturers logo on the bars, always. Those is the rules

tthew

You’ve got the 29er specific levers though right? Right?!

Well yes of course. Doesn’t everyone?

I use a tape measure for distance to ground & from bar. It plays on my mind otherwise.

Do you use a spirit level to check the bars are level though? otherwise, you know…… 😀

funkmasterp

This has got to be some kind of troll surely? Ride it, it’s a bike. Have the levers wherever they feel comfortable and enable you to use them.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I use a carbon fibre spirit level to set them dead flat

but my levers are connected to the dropper and suspension remote and the angle changes depending on if they are in mince or grind mode.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Do you use a spirit level to check the bars are level though? otherwise, you know….

End of each bar to ground is adequate to quell the OCD beast.

Even if it is an obviously innacurate method :mrgreen:

jambalaya
    Free Member

I find the Mark 1 Eyeball the best device for setting the angle of just about everything

tthew

I find the Mark 1 Eyeball the best device for setting the angle of just about everything

Pppft. You clearly don’t shred hard enough bro.

DickBarton

Go by feel…if it feels right just get out and ride…feel far outweighs an app in every situation when it comes to bikes and setup.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Jedi has some wise words on these matters

singlespeedstu

Not sure about what app is best for brake lever angles but you best make sure it syncs nicely with the fork pressure and tokens app.

chiefgrooveguru

I use clinometer. Not for setting them, that’s just a feel thing, but it makes it a damn sight quicker putting everything back in the right place when swapping bars or bleeding brakes if you know exactly where you like them. Put that in your enduropipe and smoke it! 😉

CountZero

An app? 😯 🙄 FFS!
    You sit on the chuffing bike, with your arms straight in your usual riding position, fingers extended in a straight line to follow your arms, and your levers should follow that line.
    Christ, any ful gno that!
    Yeah, I know, I’ve probably swallowed troll bait, but really… 🙄

miketually
    Free Member

Sitting on the bike and pulling the loose levers puts them in the right position, then tighten the bolts. No?

martinhutch

Laser alignment works well. Unless you have mismatching brakes, like me. Heresy, I know.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

If an app is needed to tell you the angle at which to put your brake levers how is that angle known in the first place?

chiefgrooveguru

Last time I wrote this down:

Handlebar setup
    Brakes 33 deg down
    Dropper 73 deg
    Shifter 51 deg
    15mm between grip and brake
    3mm between brake and dropper
    10mm between brake and shifter
    -0.5 on bar vs stem rotation
    Photo of where back of grip clamps line up with top cap (~2mm in front of bolt)
    Top of grip clamps 31mm above top cap

It takes me a while to decide exactly how I like things set up. Once I know what’s best for me then I’d rather not go through that process again.

It seems a lot of pro racers and mechanics take a similar approach.

Thanks guys, I’m not a troll just have really bad OCD haha

carlos
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    An app? FFS!
    You sit on the chuffing bike, with your arms straight in your usual riding position, fingers extended in a straight line to follow your arms, and your levers should follow that line.
    Christ, any ful gno that!
    Yeah, I know, I’ve probably swallowed troll bait, but really…

This, but for me the usual riding position being in ‘The Attack Position’

scaredypants

Just to check, you guys set them when sagged, yeah ?

I use a simple template that I carry around. It’s adjustable for sag (F&R obvz) as well as tyre pressures but doesn’t really cope with dynamic situations (though works great on a turbo trainer)

I’ve made some prototype rods that link direct from the BB to special lever mounts (mounted to a bearing that runs on the bars). This should keep them at a fixed angle in relation to the all-important reach+drop parameters of my frame, even in extreme riding conditions.

Experienced, rad^sick testers needed. email in profile

singlespeedstu

Last time I wrote this down:

Handlebar setup
    Brakes 33 deg down
    Dropper 73 deg
    Shifter 51 deg
    15mm between grip and brake
    3mm between brake and dropper
    10mm between brake and shifter
    -0.5 on bar vs stem rotation
    Photo of where back of grip clamps line up with top cap (~2mm in front of bolt)
    Top of grip clamps 31mm above top cap

It takes me a while to decide exactly how I like things set up. Once I know what’s best for me then I’d rather not go through that process again.

It seems a lot of pro racers and mechanics take a similar approach.
    **** me you must be a barrel of laughs when you put your bike back together after a flight. 🙂

maccruiskeen

Well I’m in a quandary now, as I don’t even know what angle they’re meant to be!

Sounds to me like you’re in the market for an app – it’ll take care of deciding what angle they should be, then tweet your location, the lever angle and a picture of your lunch.

mefty
    Free Member

I have a jig that adjusts for frame size, it was manufactured by this really cool frame builder I met in the Appalachians. Really pleased with it and only set me back $200, which I reckon is pretty good for a bespoke tool.

fasthaggis

Your LBS should have a lever angle setter,it’s often next to their tin of tartan paint and long stands.Be sure and ask them for a bag of hard stares to stop the levers moving.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

On Protractor ftw. Possibly. 😆

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Get full round of stilton, cut a slice out the exact angle you want them from vertical and keep the round in your airing cupboard as a template

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a jig that adjusts for frame size, it was manufactured by this really cool frame builder I met in the Appalachians. Really pleased with it and only set me back $200, which I reckon is pretty good for a bespoke tool.

I used to have one of those. Sold it as soon as they became too mainstream.

chiefgrooveguru

**** me you must be a barrel of laughs when you put your bike back together after a flight.

I have two tiny children and run my own manufacturing business – I barely get to drive anywhere new to ride, let alone fly! About half my riding is creative commuting routes…

DickBarton

Are the commutes creative as you spend so much time setting up instead of riding? 😉

Each to their own, thankfully (for me), I don’t really have OCD, but if something doesn’t feel right then I do spend time mincing around until it does…

singlespeedstu

chief.
    You could do the same thing with a couple of marks from a sharpie on your bars. 8)

chiefgrooveguru

That would require being able to find a pen somewhere in my garage vs iPhone in hand and big obvious metre rule hanging on wall… 😉

Time saved faffing is more riding time! Same reason I seem to average biannual bike cleaning at most. And would rather ride the same bike for years than build up new ones for ‘fun’…

singlespeedstu

Time saved faffing

put down the iphone for a start…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Best app for checking brake lever angle?’ is closed to new replies.