Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Best AM bike/frame
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

If you dont mind me asking how tall are you?

looking to get one myself .

thanks

Not a problem – I am just under 6ft tall, but I am really long in the, ahem, torso and have short legs. I have a mate who is about an inch shorter than me and every time we swap bikes I still have to put his saddle down.

For that reason I ride the large with the short seat tube but other people around the 5ft 10″ to 6ft mark might well prefer a medium.

Where are you located? I always like to offer a test ride if possible and could arrange this if you were either in the Peak or SE.

Northwind

I recommend the bike I own, obviously.

Though, if I was to take this seriously, I really would- love my Hemlock, it’s a kind of archetypal AM bike- race downhill, ride XC, feel good doing both.

Closest equivalents I’ve found are the Alpine- which achieves similiar descending with more travel but loses out a wee bit everywhere else- and the Helius AM, which felt better on silly rough stuff but didn’t climb that well, as the one I rode didn’t have a rear mech or chain. But, might be better at that stuff if it did.

Wouldn’t mind a shot of a Covert and a Reign X.

simonm
    Free Member

on of thems,

Tracey

Get over to France and buy one of these, thats what Im considering

Chainline
    Free Member

In relation to the Nicolai’s, which I would also recommend. I have a medium, but I I was speccing or looking now I’d get a large. In fact if speccing new I’d go large top tube, med seat tube. The reasoning is I like to run 760 bars and a 50mm stem. The TT on a med is just shy of 23″, the large just over 23″.

On my med I have to have the saddle further back on a layback post than I’d prefer, I’m 5’10.5″

Either fits fine, the large has about 0.5″ higher seat tube, same stand over.

I echo other comments on the bike, just works, great, love it, mashing gnarr of pedalling. mine is 31lbs with a hammerschmidt, 12mm Maxle rear and dropper post. Easy 29lbs 1×10 or 1×9, 30lbs without a

I’ve raced mine in a number of SuperEnduros and done 75mile a day hikes across the lakes, takes it all in it’s stride.

Speak to Rich at gravity sports if you want to look for one s/h or new.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Best AM bike/frame’ is closed to new replies.