Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Best Alternative Music?
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

Your choices can be from any era!

The Cure
    Stone Roses
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    The Jesus & Mary Chain

So who else…

Paceman
    Free Member

Stone Roses and Mary Chain 😀

For me also…

The Pixies
    Radiohead
    Joy Division

GlitterGary
    Free Member

fIREHOSE.

verses

Sonic Youth
    Eels
    Violent Femmes
    Velvet Underground
    Queens of the Stone Age

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

alternative to what?

verses

The ‘joke’ I used to hear a lot is that Alternative Music is an alternative to music…

yunki
    Free Member

eels
    death in vegas
    primal scream
    beck..?

I haven’t got a flippin clue what the alternative genre actually means… something to do with obeying NME..?

muggomagic

David Bowie

MADB
    Free Member

All great bands but for me.

Therapy
    Claw finger
    NIN
    PWEI

sputnik
    Free Member

Sonic Youth
    The Cure
    Pixies

neninja
    Free Member

Pixies are No.1
    Stone Roses

Some Prodigy and Chemical Brothers

Nirvana’s music has totally stood the test of time

Still like Carter USM too

nickc

Alternative to what? I’d call the Pixies, The Cure, and Nirvana pretty mainstream TBH.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fugazi

verses

nickc – Member

Alternative to what? I’d call the Pixies, The Cure, and Nirvana pretty mainstream TBH.

They are now, but 20-30 years ago when they started they weren’t

nickc

verses, Doolittle peaked at 8 in the Album charts when it was released in the UK…That’s a measure of mainstream acceptance, by any standard. Nevermind got to No. 1 in the US charts…

chakaping
    Free Member

The Velvet Underground.

It annoys me when people say “thread closed”, but, erm, thread closed.

nickc

[Nods at chapaking/]

yeah, 1967 doing what they were doing..? Femme Fatale, Venus in Furs, Run Run Run, Heroin…

pedalhead
    Free Member

Whatever “alternative” means…here are a couple of ace tracks that might fit the tag…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDAJKKdKxgM[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kh09MuIfIU[/video]

verses

” nickc – Member

verses, Doolittle peaked at 8 in the Album charts when it was released in the UK…That’s a measure of mainstream acceptance, by any standard. Nevermind got to No. 1 in the US charts…”

I guess my perceptions are skewed given that I grew up in a small town where me and 3 others seemed to be the only people who didn’t listen to music by Stock, Atiken and Waterman 😕

I was aware that Nevermind did well but obviously Bleach was relatively unhead of, also I always thought of the Pixies as being relatively unknown at the time but clearly I’m wrong 🙂

nickc

I always thought of the Pixies as being relatively unknown at the time but clearly I’m wrong

There were always lots of fans…just spread pretty thinly… 😆

neninja
    Free Member

Just because a band make great music and become more widely acclaimed over time doesn’t make them no longer alternative surely?

eg Nirvana didn’t become purveyors of ‘pop’ just because they became successful

markfu
    Free Member

Just because a band make great music and become more widely acclaimed over time doesn’t make them no longer alternative surely?

I’d agree with that. It used to make me laugh in the late 80’s & early 90’s when the ‘really alternative indie kids’ used to shun a band if they ‘made it’. Did they all of a sudden atart making crap music?

verses

I’d agree with that. It used to make me laugh in the late 80’s & early 90’s when the ‘really alternative indie kids’ used to shun a band if they ‘made it’. Did they all of a sudden atart making crap music?

I’ve been doing that just lately with Kings of Leon 🙂

Their first few albums were great, but the most recent (most popular) is a bit so-so 🙂

charliedontsurf

Gaye Bykers On Acid (aka the lesbian Dopeheads On Mopeds)

Towards the end the music was techno thrash beats stuff, very much like a lot of modern music (Prodigy, appollo 440, faithless, chemical brothers etc), they were way too far before their time. If they had kept it together for longer they would have been massive.

youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRPkKUYrcHg&feature=related

Spaceman
    Free Member

NIN
    Sugar
    Nomeansno
    Husker Du
    Dead Kennedys

Although I guess the last two could be considered punk rather than alternative.

markfu
    Free Member

I’ve been doing that just lately with Kings of Leon

Their first few albums were great, but the most recent (most popular) is a bit so-so

That one is fair enough though i think, their first album is their only decent one imo.

pedalhead
    Free Member

This thread needs more music 🙂

Another vote for Bob Mould, though I reckon his songwriting reached a peak when he was in “Sugar”.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7dJ17W43iI[/video]

verses

markfu – Member
    That one is fair enough though i think, their first album is their only decent one imo.

True, the 1st is the best of the bunch. I do like 2 and 3, but 4 was ridiculously overrated.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Fu Manchu
    Black Angels

….both best loud

DezB
    Free Member

very much like a lot of modern music

are you quoting my dad there?

Paceman
    Free Member

Agree, Sugar’s Copper Blue album is ace.

I’d also add Smashing Pumpkins to the list.

MrNutt
    Free Member

fIREHOSE
    The Odd Numbers
    Ciccone Youth

anyone got copies of the Thrasher Magazine Skate Rock tapes? I’d love to hear them all again!

loddrik
    Free Member

Gorilla Biscuits
    Youth Of Today
    Judge
    Slapshot
    Sick Of It All

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Minor Threat, Black Flag, Fugazi, Government Issue, Negative Approach, 7 Seconds, Bad Brains, Mission of Burma, Husker Du, Dag Nasty, The Lemonheads, Mudhoney, Tad, Afghan Whigs, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Superchunk, Pavement, Sebadoh, Archers of Loaf, Polvo, Urusei Yatsura, PWEI, Ned’s Atomic Dustbin, Jawbreaker, Mega City Four, Rocket From The Crypt, Drive Like Jehu, Texas is the Reason, Get-Up Kids, The Promise Ring, Bivouac, Knapsack, Propagandhi, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, PJ Harvey, The Breeders, The Pixies, Seam, Come, Done Lying Down, Man or Astroman?, Champion, Paint it Black, Kid Dynamite, Latterman, The Lawrence Arms, J Church, Lifetime, **** Up, Les Savy Fav, Gorilla Biscuits, Grade, Against Me, As Friends Rust, Avail, Shudder to Think, Helmet, Dead Kennedys, American Football, At the Drive-In, Gunmoll, Dillinger Four, Hot Water Music, Small Brown Bike, Twelve Hour Turn, Trapdoor **** Exit, Planes Mistaken for Stars, Depistado, Jawbox, Luscious Jackson, New Kingdom, Municipal Waste, Surfer Blood, Meneguar

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Just been listening to Sleater-Kinney for the firs time in ages so them too.

Had forgotten how good they were.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

…and Shellac, Quicksand and The Organ.

TheFlyingOx

Five Finger Death Punch.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I started singing this on a ride today for some unknown reason. Now they really are an alternative to music…

ThePilot
    Free Member

I started singing this on a ride today for some unknown reason. Now they really are an alternative to music…

ChrisL

Wilco are really doing it for me at the moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Best Alternative Music?’ is closed to new replies.