Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best Alps Location after Morzine?
  • pierscoe1
    Free Member

Hey all…

so lots of you must’ve been all over the Alps on your riding adventures…

Our groupd has done Morzine/PDS 3 times now… and we’re after something fresh.

For a full week’s riding DH bikes, where is the best place to go, after the PDS area?

Particularly like to hear from people that have done the PDS area, and also other places, so can compare.

Thanks all…

chakaping
    Free Member

Will you have transport while you’re out there?

MSP

For downhill bikes I would say Les Deux Alps is the next best place.

Les Arcs and Alp D’Huez are much more all mountain orientated, even though they have uplifts there is a fair bit of pedalling involved to get the best out of them.

nickjb
    Free Member

The second best won’t be a close second.

chakaping
    Free Member

How about a little road trip taking in Pila, Verbier, Crans Montana and the likes?

finners

Theres so much in Morzine if you explore a bit. We toured around a few times. Lila is ok, Tignes was worth the couple days, Verbier is good for few days (better guided and not a load of DH) and Crans Montana is a great place but only for a day. Theres not a lot there….

Purely personal views though.

colp

On quality of tracks, Leogang, Saalbach & Hinterglemm are great, more smiles per mile than PDS I think. No where near the size & quantity though.
    Enough for a week on the DH bikes though. You could spend a couple of days sessioning Flying Gangster alone.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaEbnmv_hM0[/video]

steveh

The best alps location after Morzine wouldn’t be in my top 5 (and neither would Morzine. If you have transport then a bit of road tripping could see you riding all week in places better than the PDS. We never hit one spot for a whole trip any more, a couple of road trips and you realise what you are missing.

pila, crans montana, les arcs, les carroz, sauze d’oulx and many more spring to mind.

pierscoe1
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestions all…

we’d go down in a van, so would have transport.
    We’ve just hired a chalet for the week before, but if you’re moving around, what do you do about accomodation? hotels in each town?

do quite like not having to use the van once there tbh, and love the ability to get all over the place on a DH bike, just using the lifts.

we have never managed to get as far over as Morgins/Les Crosets though.

Also like the sound of hte more AM/guided rides type stuff… but then I’d HAVE to upgrade/replace my trail bike 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

The second best won’t be a close second.

@nick
    are you implying you think Morzine is first ? I’m not sure it would be in my top 5, maybe even top 10. I’ve been there 4 or 5 times as its convenient, there are so many better places.

chakaping
    Free Member

Book hotels, hostels, B&Bs, camping, whatever in each location.

Some – like Crans Montana – you can ride for a day on your way between two other resorts.

Maybe stop in Chatel (French so cheaper than Switzerland) and drive up to Morgins for the day, it’s only a stone’s throw.

do quite like not having to use the van once there tbh, and love the ability to get all over the place on a DH bike, just using the lifts.

You need to go to Morzine then.

😉

daver27
    Free Member

Take an AM/Enduro/Latest do it all bike to the PDS, Explore and rejoice in finding a shed load more riding than you think is there. I’ll never go back on a pure DH bike as there is so much more to it than just DH, and the latest superbikes can do it all easily.

nickjb
    Free Member

@nick are you implying you think Morzine is first ? I’m not sure it would be in my top 5, maybe even top 10. I’ve been there 4 or 5 times as its convenient, there are so many better places.

Would be genuinely interested to hear about them. There are definitely better places to spend a day or two but no where like Morzine for the range and quantity of riding that can be accessed without significant pedalling or a man with a van that I am aware of (and nothing mentioned on this thread yet)

pierscoe1
    Free Member

Book hotels, hostels, B&Bs, camping, whatever in each location.

fair enough. Might have a look into this.

there are so many better places

Would be genuinely interested to hear about them[/quote]

me too. spill the beans! 🙂

and the latest superbikes can do it all easily

stop it now. I don’t need another excuse to start bike-shopping again!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best Alps Location after Morzine?’ is closed to new replies.