Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best 28mm commuting tyres – recommendations please
  • hillsplease

Afternoon All

Any recommendations for puncture resistant commuter rubber please? 32 miles per day, panniers, hilly. Tragically to Oldham.

Thanks

Paul

MSP

Schwalbe marathon supreme.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m rather liking my Hutchinson Sector tubeless.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Conti GP 4 seasons – top tyre.

Or Gatorskins for a bit cheaper. Both great and last ages.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

tomkerton – Member
    Conti GP 4 seasons – top tyre.
    Or Gatorskins for a bit cheaper. Both great and last ages.

What he said. They’re considerably lighter than the Schwalbes, but admittedly not as ‘resistant’ to punctures. The Gatorskins seem to cut up less than the 4 Seasons, but the latter feel / grip better. I do like the reflective sidewalls on the Schwalbe though.

TiRed

For road commuting, i would forgo the marathon pluses – great bombproof tyres, but hard work, and go for the Durano plus ( same tyre really, without the tread). Schwalbe tyres comeup pretty big, so my recommendation for a speedy commute is kevlar beaded 25c Durano Plus.

damascus
    Free Member

Conti gators

lunge

For balance, anything but Gatorskins, horrible tyres. Look at Schwalbe, Marathons if you care about punctures more, Durano’s if you care about speed more.

ds3000
    Free Member

I’ve had Schwalbe Durano 25s on for a year of commuting and (touch wood) not one pu”@&ure yet.

mick_r

My Mrs has a 14 mile glass strewn commute. The only true solution has been Schwalbe Marathon plus. Expensive, heavy, dull feeling tyres but you can’t get any more puncture proof.

Conqueror
    Free Member

specialized armadillo all weather

though the 28 is heavy.. having known.. I think I might of got away with 23 ..

for less protection .. I’ve found the vredestein fortezza tricomp to be pretty decent in less severe conditions..

drlex
    Free Member

Can you go fatter?
    Vittoria Randonneur Pro II 32mm

LardLover
    Free Member

Conti Gatorskins here. Used them for over 2yrs now. Only one puncture in all that time (30 mile round trip commute).

Shortly to be replaced by a pair of the 27mm Vittoria Open Paves IF I can find a pair in stock anywhere.

edhornby

I have a Gatorskin on the back and a 4seasons on the front, the 4season don’t last that well as a rear but they grip really well hence front only,at try a Rubino pro on the back next. Marathon plus seem like overkill when you consider they are virtually a kilo each

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best 28mm commuting tyres – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.