Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best 140mm(ish) coil fork?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Going back to a coil fork from my 2010 Rev Races. Choices seem to be 2nd hand Pike or take a punt on the new Sektor. I know similar threads have been around, but wondering if any more people have had a go with the Sektor yet?

Wondering if they are going to be comparable with a Pike given their ‘budget’ status.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Used Fox Vanilla?

retro83
    Free Member

If you get a sektor, make sure it’s the one with motion control, not turnkey.

I think you could then fix the BlackBox rebound damper, and have something like a Push’d Pike (but new and probably a bit lighter)

BadlyWiredDog

The Sektor ought to be effectively, a lighter Pike – has the Revelation chassis with lower leg power bulge things around the bushes and 10mm more travel, TFT say it’s a fantastic fork. I’ve got one on the way.

I’m guessing, given that it’s a pound lighter, you lose a little stiffness relative to the Pike – the weight must have come out of the chassis mostly – but having just swapped a dead Pike Air U-Turn for a 2011 Revelation, I have to say that I can’t tell that much difference even on rocky stuff.

You can still find new coil Pikes out there btw, but the Sektor is lighter, about the same weight as a Pike Air U-Turn if the manufacturer’s figures are right.

lunge

A second hand vanilla 32 would be my pick I think

BadlyWiredDog

I think you could then fix the BlackBox rebound damper, and have something like a Push’d Pike (but new and probably a bit lighter)

That’s kind of my plan, but the Sektor appears to incorporate a negative spring on the damper side of things, so it might not be all that straightforward… Also begs the question of whether, if you change the main spring in a Sektor to a STW Forum User spec XXXL, you also need to change the negative spring.

The Push upgrade on the Pike is ace over flat-out rocky stuff btw 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Used Fox Vanilla?

A second hand vanilla 32 would be my pick I think

Need to be 20mm axle though and I think all 140mm Vanillas are QR15 or QR.

Also begs the question of whether, if you change the main spring in a Sektor to a STW Forum User spec XXXL, you also need to change the negative spring.

I am 11st so no spring changes to be made yet…maybe after Christmas 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I ran coil Pikes for about 2 years and have just gone to a new coil Sektor. They were nearly 300g lighter (inc Maxle), which is not to be sniffed at, and they are very plush straight out of the box. Steering precision wasn’t quite as good as the Pike but they are close, and close enough to not be a big deal.
    My only gripe was the coil Sektors are white, and the Maxle lite isn’t quite as quick as the older (heavier) Maxle.

Jamie
    Free Member

I was waiting on some pics from you Reggie to see what they looked like in the flesh…hurry up 😉

retro83
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member
    That’s kind of my plan, but the Sektor appears to incorporate a negative spring on the damper side of things, so it might not be all that straightforward… Also begs the question of whether, if you change the main spring in a Sektor to a STW Forum User spec XXXL, you also need to change the negative spring.

That’s interesting, where’d you hear that? Linky?

BadlyWiredDog

mtbr.com forum – forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=660868 – also, if you go onto the Rockshox web site and into the ‘dealer’ section of service bit, there’s a parts list PDF . Take a look at the rebound damper assembly on the Sektor and you’ll see what looks like a spring sitting on the rebound damper assembly. None of that’s conclusive, but it suggests that it might be a bit more complicated than just swapping the damper leg internals across from one to the other.

retro83
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member

mtbr.com forum – forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=660868 – also, if you go onto the Rockshox web site and into the ‘dealer’ section of service bit, there’s a parts list PDF . Take a look at the rebound damper assembly on the Sektor and you’ll see what looks like a spring sitting on the rebound damper assembly. None of that’s conclusive, but it suggests that it might be a bit more complicated than just swapping the damper leg internals across from one to the other.

Hmmm, that’s a bugger!

I agree with your post on there about RS not offering a Sektor with dual rebound as standard. That would be a great fork.

ferrit
    Free Member

Marzocchi 44 RC3:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Marzocchi_44_RC3_Ti_QR15_Suspension_Fork_2010/5360048059/

Cheap on Wiggle.

Been running this for a while – flawless. 3 year no-service-stipulations warranty too. Winner.

Bombers are back!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I was waiting on some pics from you Reggie to see what they looked like in the flesh…hurry up

8) I’ve been taking the bike apart again….

hang on…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

reggiegasket
    Free Member

reggiegasket
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog

I agree with your post on there about RS not offering a Sektor with dual rebound as standard. That would be a great fork.

Yep, it makes sense to me. Once I’ve got one, will have a look inside. I guess the worst case scenario may be waiting for PUSH to come up with an ugrade. Or maybe there’s a way of swapping the PUSH bits from my dead Pike onto the Sektor damper.

LoCo
    Free Member

The damper assemblies are not ‘swapable’ between the coil and airs as said above due to the Negaative spring assm. being on the rebound assm. on the coil forks and as part of the air spring assm. on the airs.
    The Pike has the negative spring assembly on the coil side too.
    So you’d have to swap all internal parts from the Pikes to the Sektors to be able to use the Pike damper assm. and you’d only get 140mm travel.

si-wilson
    Free Member

loco, got any coil 20mm sektors?

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi Si, no the second batch were supposed to be through last week but now, expected around the 20th of next month, hold with manufacture apparerently, I think everyone is in the same boat as non came in at all.
    I have one set of the 15mm qr one though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Cheers for the pics Reggie. Just pulled the trigger on some 20mm U-Turns, apparently just before everyone sold out.

snakebite
    Free Member

just fitted some Coil Sektor RLs, the new dual air Revs popped again last night….ending a wet muddy ride earlier than anticipated….

Gonna give them a blast at Llangdegly tomorrow!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My Sektors (15mm maxle lite coil version) came today. They look amazing and feel really good.

I’d definitely recommend them.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best 140mm(ish) coil fork?’ is closed to new replies.