Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best 1 x 10 set up?
  • kane10255
    Free Member

Know nothing about ratios just want advice on a set up that will allow me to climb and belt down the downhill section. This is to run on a new Slackline hardtail also a good chainguide. All help much appreciated. Cheers 😀 8)

curvature
    Free Member

I run the following…

XTR Shifter
    XT cranks with Goldtec 32 ring
    XT 11-36 Cassette
    Just changing chain from SRAM 1051 to a gold KMC purely for looks! Shimano chain lasted 3 weeks!
    Superstar chain device. Little noisey but does the job.

cruzer
    Free Member

Depending on how much youve got to spend. Personally id go for:
    Xtr shifter 10 speed
    Xtr rear mech with clutch
    E13 lg1
    Slx cassette 11-36
    36t chain ring up front.
    And then what ever cranks you have.

oxnop
    Free Member

On my alpine 160 I run:

I run XTR 980 cranks with gamut p20 and renthal 34t ring
    Xtr 10speed rear mech
    Xtr 36-11 cassette
    Xtr shifter
    Gold e13 single ring bolts

On my soul

Run Xtr as above but with 34-11 cassette
    E13 guide ring 32t
    MRP x1 guide
    All important Gold e13 bolts 🙂

gee
    Free Member

XTR 10 speed shifter, rear mech and 11-36 cassette
    36t unramped Salsa ring on XTR cranks
    MRP 1.X device

Had this setup for the last season, raced all over the UK, no problem.

I have XT 1×10 on another bike and XTR 1×9 on another, setup otherwise as above. I tend to use a 34t ring on the 29er.

GB

kane10255
    Free Member

All sounds good guys but what difference does the 11-34 and 11-36 cassettes have on the performance of the bike , at present cost no object to xtr level but not silly money

oxnop
    Free Member

Personally I like the 36t option.

curvature
    Free Member

The 36 just means you have the lowest gear possible at the back which as you are going 1×10 is worth it in my opinion.

My trail centre rides in this get up have been Cannock (regularly as I live 10miles away) and Coed Y Brenin and I can ride up everything without a problem. I have been thinking of going to a 34 upfront to try as it is cheaper than changing the cassette and you can get away with swapping front rings more than cassettes.

Only at CYB have I spun out but that was on a big fire road descent.

slowrider
    Free Member

11-36 is good winching gear for steep stuff.

Shimano 10speed chains seem to break very quickly!

E13 lg1 and straitline guides are good, mrp mini g is best IMO.

Xtr shifter is lovely

Don’t blow a load on the rear mech, viewing them as a consumable makes smashing them a less tragic experience. Plus it’s hard to notice any real performance gain

Fill yer boots!

kane10255
    Free Member

curvature and slowrider cheers for the informed advice to a gearing numpty now know what to go and buy thanks.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Shimano medium cage, full chain device, 11-36 cassette and 32-36 tooth chainring. 34t ring for me…

An 11-36 cassette simply has a bigger range than an 11-34. The biggest cog is 2 teeth bigger, and it really makes a difference on long or steep climbs. I guess a 34t would have slightly closer ratios…

kane10255
    Free Member

Looks like an 11-36 cassette and a 36 front ring like the look of rental front rings, any good?

slowrider
    Free Member

36 on the front will be ideal if you ride a lot of trail centres, woodland, flowy stuff. If you are in the lakes or somewhere with steep or techy climbs I’d say go for a 32. You’ll do well to need bigger off road.

Clink

So what 10 speed chains do you lot recommend? Was going SRAM, but the 10 speed ‘powerlink’ doesn’t seem as easy to use as the 9 speed ones?

kane10255
    Free Member

slowrider there are some quite steep climbs in Ireland where I go so which front ring would you recommend to get up.

slowrider
    Free Member

I’d go 32t chainring, 11-36 cassette then. Should get you up pretty much anything as long as you don’t like to climb with your legs going like bees wings!

Clink, the power links are a little stiffer but still work fine.

mattyh222
    Free Member

my setup at the moment running

Truvativ GXP crankset with E13 34t guidering
    Sram X7 mech & shifter as its Winter and hate to see my X0 stuff get nailed!
    Sram 1050 11-28t mangears cassette
    Sram 1051 chain
    MRP Lopes SL chaindevice, super quite, nice & light. Jobdone at a good price!

Matt

takisawa2

11-36 here, Deore cranks & ring, SLX shifters, mech & cassette. Works well, probably cheapest way to do it, but whilst it shifts cleanly & accurately it doesnt feel as smooth as old 9spd XT kit. Quite a clunk when changing up/down.
    11-36 can winch me up most stuff, Cannock, Nant-Y-Arian, Llandegla etc.

Vortexracing

I’ve just got
    XTR Shifter
    XT Shadow rear mech
    XT Cassette, 11-36
    32 or 34 front and thinking of a Lopes SL guide

for both the Soul and 5 Spot

honourablegeorge

Two bikes, both with:

SRAM X9 Short Cage Mech
    SRAM X9 Shifter
    XT 11-36 Cassette
    SRAM 1050 Chain
    MRP Lopes chain device

One bike has a 34T Chromag ring on XTR cranks, the other a 34 MRP on SLX Cranks

neil853
    Free Member

I’m running:

XTR M972 Short Cage Mech
    XTR M970 Shifter
    XTR 11-32 Cassette
    XTR Chain
    MRP G2 Mini chain device

All 9speed this lot. Which was a struggle at first due to not having the spread of the 10spd cassette but I was surprised how quickly I got used to it.

Chain device wise i’m well pleased. Never even looked at being dropped and the security of the bash on the bottom is nice to have. There are new MRP’s and LG’s coming out that have lighter weight bash guards (although they are NOT cheap) that look very nice.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best 1 x 10 set up?’ is closed to new replies.