Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bespoke Innersoles for S Works MTB shoes
  • readikus

I recently “treated” myself to a set of S Works MTB shoes after my last pair died a few months beforehand. I have very flat feet, and the original pair of S Works shoes were perfect, so I assumed getting a new set wouldn’t be any different. Sadly, they changed the shape of the actual sole, and it is now sticking right up and after a few rides, it has become really painful.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, how did they go about sorting it?

Or has anyone tried to get a refund with the S Works return policy?

MSP

What colour is the insole, specialized insoles are coded, red-flat, blue-medium, green-high arch.

readikus

It’s a red inner sole – I did the foot test thing when I got them.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Put your old insoles in your new shoes?

scaredypants

I have flat feet and use the green ones to support/create my arches

take a litle bit of getting used to but I get a lot less foot pain than I used to

edsbike
    Free Member

Specialized shoes have an inbuilt varus tilt in the sole. I.e. lifts the inside of your foot up. Different to the height of your arches but if the tilt is causing you trouble, try fitting some wedge shims under the front of your foot to get it back to a more neutral angle. Fat bit of the shim on the outside edge.

readikus

It’s the new innersole that came with the new shoe. The one designed for flat people.

I am not sure the old innersole from the previous shoe would be suitable, as they seem to have changed the actual shape of the sole. (Not to mention that it’s 2 years old, and a bit “wild”).

readikus

edsbike – that sounds exactly like what’s causing me problems! Where do I get the shims from?

MSP

Is it the actual arch that is sticking up, is it the insole, or the shape of the shoe pushing the insole out of shape.

I have used sole moldable insoles, but I am not sure they would work for someone with very flat arches. And they are quite expensive in there own right.

edsbike
    Free Member

Readikus, they come with Specialized insoles when you buy them separate. Try asking at some shops, they should either give them to you or not charge much, must cost pence to make.

The arch support should really just maintain the natural shape of your arch, so for flat feet red is suitable.

The varus/valgus tilt varies between brands. Giro has none, you create it with insoles and shims. Specialized have a slight varus, because most people are naturally like that. It sounds like you’re not (you’re valgus), so you need to correct that.

Only thing I’m doubting is the fact that I’m pretty sure the tilt of the specialized shoes won’t have changed much in two years, they’ve been pretty consistent with their last shapes for a while.

MSP

The shims only go under the forefoot, it won’t affect the feel of the arch support.

readikus

I forgot a vital bit of information (forgive me, not been too well this week ;)) – the pain is all over the left foot (top and bottom), not just arches.

traildog
    Free Member

I have some shims which will tilt your fore-foot flat if you want. Let me know.

It’s believed that most people benefit from tilting the foot with the inside up, which is why the shoes are designed that way.

readikus

traildog – YGM 🙂

Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice, it’s all really appreciated.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bespoke Innersoles for S Works MTB shoes’ is closed to new replies.