Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Berwyn Loop ?
  • lowey

Anyone done this ?

Worth a 2 hour drive to and from ? Boggy or does it hold up well.

Cheers all.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

done bits of it, the wayfarer is a river when it's wet but great fun

beware adding other bits form the map though, bridleway mapping in that area is notoriously bad

fbk
    Free Member

Again, I've done bits of that. The majority of routes round there do hold up pretty well – be prepared for mud but mostly rideable with a pretty solid rock base.

Great riding but can be pretty exposed if the weather turns nasty

ollie
    Free Member

I did the Wayferer a couple of weeks ago and can confirm it to be like a river, A very deep one at that.
    Still fun though.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Yes, did the same route coulpe of months back. Great route, although some riders didn't enjoy the long road climb from Llangynog 😀 It's easy to miss junction 14 marked on the map, but there are others just further down the road which head into LLandrillo.

Junkyard
    Free Member

with your map reading route following skills what could go possibly wrong?

phiiiiil

I did that route a while back; it was excellent fun. The only things I can think to add is that just before the top of the hill at 11 the track is so boggy you are basically walking through a pond; expect wet feet! Also the road climb out of Llangynog can be avoided if you use the little road at the bottom of the valley; it's a very gentle climb along the road then the path crosses the river (use the bridge, or do what I did and fall in the ford – oops) and climbs steeply uphill from there. It's much steeper than the road but it's rideable and off-road which wins in my book. It also makes the junction at 14 much easier to spot… 🙂

I started from Llanarmon DC as then you don't have to drive all the way round to Llandrillo if you're coming from the east.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Hi Dave

I had also wondered about doing this, have done a few sections already.

Have you seen this route?

http://www.nwmba.org.uk/old_pdfs/berwyn.pdf

About 25 miles and more off-road.

Paul

lowey

HOLY COW!!

Liked the look of the route Paul, so I put in into Memory Map and it comes to 32.9miles and 6,100 ft of ascent!!!

Yet the map only says 25km. Whats the crack there then.

It looks a beast of a route and I have to say I really fancy this one.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Aye, it does look stunning! Have the correct OS map too 🙂

Does anyone know anything about that return E -> W leg? It could be a bogfest now?

A bit of a beast for this time of year. Your original is much more doable.

Paul

Pembo
    Free Member

+1 for the start at Llanarmon DC and Phiiiil is right about the boggy bit at J11, what a nightmare but a great view over to the waterfall at Pystyll Ryhder. I forgot my hydration pack so had to rely on rehydrating at each village with water and stuffing a couple of Capri Suns in my back pocket. Finally got the better of me on the Wayfarer climb but the descent back to DC was sweet.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Just checked the profile on Memory map and FFS in winter in the mud with the biggest climb at 40-45 km in after the bog fest…it will be character building then.

E-mail me if we are doing it as I may forsake the Turbo trainer tomorrow and rest !!

mAx_hEadSet

As partly responsible for the nwmba map I dont know how the distance ended up coming out so wrong.. however it's not a good winter route the bit between Bwlch Maen Gwynedd and Llandrillo would resemble the Somme right now and it also suffers more than its fair share of dire weather. When we get time there will be an extension of this route heading out past the nps downhill course at Moelfre.

good luck if you try it

ton

kid's route compared to a deejay dales 45 miler…………MTFU

Junkyard
    Free Member

come along then bring yer wellies

lowey

Cheers Max, just the feedback I needed. Right. Lakes it is.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Berwyn Loop ?’ is closed to new replies.