Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Berries / brambles
  • craig24
    Free Member

After the topic on here the other day I thought I’d go fine some blackberries! Managed to find some but also came across these, not sure what they are, look like a big blueberry.

Can anyone advise?

thenorthwind

They look like sloes to me. Out with the gin!

Drac

Sloes lovely just as they are.

allthepies
    Free Member

Do they taste very tart/astringent ? If so then sloes, if some sweetness then damsons.

jambourgie
    Free Member

16 foot! Blimey, that’s a big-ass berry!

sirromj

Bit early for sloe picking sloes isn’t it, aren’t they best once we’re into Winter?

Drac

Bit early for sloe picking sloes isn’t it, aren’t they best once we’re into Winter?

Early yes but the first frost thing is bollocks.

CountZero

If they came off a bush with bastard sharp thorns, then most likely sloes. Good in gin, allegedly.

jekkyl

That’s the seed pods from invasion of the body snatchers, don’t have it in the house, it’s the end of days! Ahhhhfhfggggg

craig24
    Free Member

Then they taste very tart and then a little bitter.

maccruiskeen

Do they taste very tart/astringent ?

Probably not the safest advice to do a taste test on something you can’t identify. A safer test would be to splat one of them on your forehead. If people are still making Gorbachev jokes several days later its probably a Sloe.

giantalkali
    Free Member

The way to tell if it’s sloes is to pick 300g of them, prick each with a fork, thrust them
    Into a bottle of gin, add some sugar, wait 6 months, drink.

If it tastes like sloe gin then they are sloes. If you die then they are cyanide berries, but they’re pretty rare

DezB
    Free Member

Then they taste very tart and then a little bitter.

And then suck all the moisture from your mouth? Sloe.

spyke85
    Free Member

They are bullaces – wild plums basically. I have some in gin right now ready for Christmas

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Berries / brambles’ is closed to new replies.