Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bern Helmets
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Any thoughts?

I have a Bell Mips Super for off road, but need another helmet for a short commute and knocking around on.

Also for the Tweed Run next year; used to wear a flat cap, but the increase of really pissed people on it has made me think again.

Daffy

Daffy Jnr has one. He chose it over several other. He’s happy with it. He’s 6 🙂

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

They do look a bit Fisher Price/Lego man, but also different to the norm.

Any other thoughts?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had a couple of Bern Morrisons from a few years back.

It was their first mtb helmet. Nice and low profile so it didn’t look like you were wearing a mushroom and quite cheap at the time. Their safety stats are pretty good, I think because they use a different type of blown foam. Coverage was good and the outer shell was tougher that the normal skin of plastic you get. It did come out a bit heavier than the typical mtb helmet weights.

Fit wise, they’re a bit Bell-eqsue with that kind of round shape, although its not as pronounced. I have a slightly elongated head, so fit wasn’t perfect but was good enough.

The air vents were intelligently placed, but too small if you run hot and there were no channels on the inside to help with air movement exhaust out the back. The pop-out cradle system was too spongy and held a lot of sweat, and the adjustment dial on the back was a bit flaky, although it never came loose once tightened. After one summer, I relegated them to winter/late spring/autumn helmets, where the fact that they’re not so ventilated is a good thing.

To fill the gap in summer I bought a Uvex Finale, which has the same fit system as the old XP and XP100’s I used to use, and the fit and comfort was significantly better for me and reminded me why I was so gutted that the XP was discontinued. I’ve not encountered anything like as comfortable as the IAS monomatic system they use.

I wanted to like the Bern more than I did. I see thought, they have a few different models than when I bought mine. I’d guess they’re a bit improved.

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Think mine’s a Bern Morrison. It’s ok but I’m not blown away. It could ventilate better in Summer, and the peak at the front is prone to coming loose. But it fits pretty comfy, has stood up to numerous crashes, and if you can get one for around £40 I’d say they’re good value.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bern Helmets’ is closed to new replies.