Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Berlingo/Partner buying advice please!
  • oddjob
    Free Member

We are planning on getting a Partner/Berlingo in the next couple of weeks. We had a petrol one about 5 years ago which was fine, but we’re going for a diesel this time.

Is it worth paying a bit more for the newer shape or should I go for a low mileage old shaped one?
    Anything I should be looking out for?
    Anything I should definitely avoid?

Finally, any bad experiences with the new 6 speed auto Partner, I tested one and thought it was pretty good, but are they reliable in the long term?

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

have a diesel non turbo new shape one, 120k still goes fine.

IA

New shape ones (I have a berlingo) are loads better.

Better to drive, better shape etc. Crucially (given this forum) you can pull 2 seats out the back and wheel up to 3 bikes in wheels-on. 3 bikes and 3 folk with no wheels off or dicking about is ace.

I’ve got the middle 90 diesel, the 75 is a bit gutless when full of stuff and didn’t seem worth it (to me) stretching for the top one. It’s been fine (had it 3 years).

Anything specific you want to know?

gusamc
    Free Member

Well I’ve ownly owned the old shape 1.6HDI 92, so:

– I’d avoid the 75hp diesels – unless you like going slowly, as even the 92 isn’t that fast(* not that good at overtaking, esp fast A overtaking)

– ‘apparently’ the new shape is quicker and has a 200kg higher towing weight

45k, no issues

sweepy
    Free Member

I went to look at one last night, was perfect, good nick, FSH, low mileage, but I walked away cos it was non turbo.
    Ive currently got the non turbo van and its underpoweredfor dual carriageway, which means ive constantly got it flat out and only get about 35mpg. Im hoping that the turbo will be better for economy as I do a good 20k a year.

vinnyeh

Sorry to hijack, but our Bongo is starting to worry me a bit, starting to think about a replacement and wondering whether to consider one of these (new shape) as well.
    Will it take a bike without removing any seats?
    And any chance of having a decent nights sleep in one with a bike- Is there enough room with seats out in the back?

trail_rat
    Free Member

06 van 1.9D here mines done 70k with nothing more than routine servicing , brake pads and tires – oh and 1 exhaust – they rot at the climb back to the rear silencer.

how ever i find the damn thing uses more brake pads than any vehicle ive ever had.

its currently in for an expensive service,timing belt,waterpump and MOT ,

currently tempted to fix it up and flog it and look at new shape HDI car version – would fit my needs much better now.

db

I have a 59 1.6hdi 90bhp VTR (new shape)
    60k miles with one issue on the central locking but that’s it

Bike goes in with wheels on and a seat out (mine has a 60/40 split and the 60% is heavy to lift) – you could leave it in but then bike would not be flat

Mine is used and abused, I have slept in the back (I’m over 6′ so was a little on the diagonal), used it as a van for going to the dump, a company car in the week and kayak/bike base at the weekends – when it goes next year I seriously consider another or be looking at the Caddy Max from VW

oddjob
    Free Member

I was only looking at the 90 or the 110, not sure if it’s worth any extra but there aren’t that many in the market where I am based (Denmark)
    There is an ex demo for sale with the auto box that I tried and really liked but not sure if it’s worth the extra cost or if it will be trouble in the long run.

Also need to persuade the Mrs that we should spend the extra cash.

AlexSimon

vinnyeh – Member

Sorry to hijack, but our Bongo is starting to worry me a bit, starting to think about a replacement and wondering whether to consider one of these (new shape) as well.
    Will it take a bike without removing any seats?
    And any chance of having a decent nights sleep in one with a bike- Is there enough room with seats out in the back?
    We moved from a Bongo to the new shape Partner.
    The partner is tiny in comparison. To sleep, you would need some kind of built up platform which would have to go right over to the front passenger seat. Whether you’d have to overlap the front seat would depend on your height, but it’s close.

You can get a whole bike in the back without removing a seat. Drop the single seat and put the bike in diagonally. There is a limit to the height of the front of your bike though. Mine’s almost at the limit with Maverick DUCs on. Otherwise you could drop the double and lay the bike down. Or remove a wheel.

Overall, it lacks all the ‘chuck everything in and forget about it’ nature of a proper van/bongo. But it’s bit nicer on long journeys and more economical to drive around in (although I loved my Bongo tbh). We get 44mpg around town and 51mpg on long journeys so approx double what whe got in the Bongo.

We’ve added a tow ball and rack to ours for camping with bikes, whereas we could fit it all inside with the Bongo. I still kind of wish I’d gone for a VW/Transit, but it’s pretty good overall.

IA

Bike goes in with wheels on and a seat out (mine has a 60/40 split and the 60% is heavy to lift) – you could leave it in but then bike would not be flat

Flat? Put the bike vertically down the side, just need to turn the bars a little. All mine fit like that and they’re big bikes (6’4). Bungee them to the “hoop” for the seats. Needs to be on the passenger side though (the 60 split) as I assume like me you have the driver’s seat right back.

oddjob
    Free Member

double post – sorry

oddjob
    Free Member

Size wise, the new berlingo looked almost the same as the last generation partner we had before.

Swapping from a gas guzzling 2.3 litre Mazda 6 so we should save about £100 per month on fuel alone. (diesel is cheaper here).

I suspect that the driving experience will not be much fun, but our other car is an Aygo so I’m used to slow boxes anyway 🙂

IA

Size wise, the new berlingo looked almost the same as the last generation partner we had before.

It’s a bit wider, and a bit longer. My bikes won’t go longways in an old shape one.

Chassis wise, it’s a newere 307 car derived one, drives a lot better, a lot less roll.

oddjob
    Free Member

I was surprisingly impressed in my 10 minute test drive, but I couldn’t really remember how the old one was to drive.

Looks like we’ll be after the newer shape then and so it’s just a question of how new and how many miles we can stomach

trail_rat
    Free Member

“it’s a newere 307 car derived one”

interestingly for anyone that cares

a 3.0 V6 engine box and brakes from a 307 coupe fits into a partner without too much hassle. – dont fancy servicing it though.

0-60 in about 6.5 seconds he claims ….will corner like a cheese sandwich on ice skates

oddjob
    Free Member

aiming to save money on fuel…

sweepy
    Free Member

I bet he spends a bit on tyres

trail_rat
    Free Member

i know – but still it would be a right sleeper 😉

reckons he gets 38mpg when he takes notion not to have a heavy right foot

if i had that i would be lift off oversteered backwards into a hedge in about 5 minutes !

AlexSimon

Our new-shape Partner grips quite well, but every time you go over a slight bump while cornering, you can feel the whole chassis twist and wobble. Yuk.
    Not that it matters really.

sweepy
    Free Member

So he’s getting better mpg than me in my 1.9d then, ive got to sort out a more economical motor.

qwerty
    Free Member

In our 2005 Berlingo I just undo the torx bolts to fully remove the rear seats giving more load space, its semi qr as it takes a mighty 2mins.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sweepy – im getting better mpg than you as well ….

i regularly get 44mpg out of my 1.9d.

i only use it for long trips and as little sitting in traffic as is possible

sweepy
    Free Member

Really 😯 most of my driving is long trips on dual carriageway, is yours flat out all the time, i dont know where i’m going wrong.

mav12
    Free Member

What year is the newer shape from how do the fiat doblos compare economy wise

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Berlingo/Partner buying advice please!’ is closed to new replies.