Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bent non-replaceable mech hanger / dropout- what's next?
  • StirlingCrispin

Bent the mech hanger on my Sanderson Life this morning.
    Just riding along and collected a stick in my back wheel – knew I should have taken the singlespeed. And it was a long cold walk back home.

Anyway – the mech hanger has been pulled round and opened out the dropout.
    Can this just be pulled back into shape by my friendly bike mechanic or is more drastic work required?

Cheers!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

well it will need to be heated to be bent back! it it was just bent to the side then you could possibly bent it back slowly.

the 3 options open to you are

1)bend it back and pray you dont snap it off/weaken it
    2)ask a mechanic to do it
    3)phone the distributors and ask them what they advise.

if you do snap it off its not the end of the world as a good frame builder can replace the drop out with a new one.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Managed to re-align one on an inbred before with big pliers, but that was laterally out of true, whereas yours appears to be ‘all over the shop’!

If you don’t fancy trying it yourself I reckon a decent LBS will sort that for you….

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

if you need the distributors phone number mail me.

i know it can be a pain getting in contact with the guys at independent100. i mailed them 3 times no response.

phoned them and they sorted my problem out in 3 days!! Really good old school customer service.

4ndyB
    Free Member

It’s steel so you can cold set it (just bend it back very carefully with a dérailleur alignment tool)

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

It’s steel so you can cold set it

but you run the risk of significantly weakening the drop out as its a cast product.

StirlingCrispin

Thanks everyone.

My friendly mechanic says he’d use some heat before realignment so it doesn’t crack (hopefully!). Says he’s fixed hundreds of them and never broke one yet….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bent non-replaceable mech hanger / dropout- what's next?’ is closed to new replies.