Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Bengal cat(s)
  • stox
    Free Member

Cat’s are not meant to be kept indoors permanently.
    It’s cruel.
    And one of the most selfish, egotistical things I can think of.

I’m so sorry …. I’ll go open the door

chvck
    Free Member

Fair enough, everyone has their own views BUT as a society that breeds animals for the sole reason of killing and eating them (often indoors) a tad hypocritical I feel. I am, obviously, making huge assumptions about you here and apologise if I’m wrong.

docrobster
    Free Member

The fact that they get a specific mention in the same sentence as “dangerous wild animals act” seemed like a clue. 🙄
    I’m sure there are lots of them about that are placid and easy pets.
    It’s just the ones that I have met that are aggressive, semi-wild animals.
    But if people want to keep them as pets that’s fine.

RustySpanner

Well, you could say that killing lice with chemicals is selfish and egotistical – it’s causing the death of creatures to increase our own quality of life.

Same with killing flies, rats and the animals we breed for food.
    Depends where you draw the line – it’s a big topic for another time.

But my statement stands:
    Keeping a cat indoors is selfish, egotistical and wrong.
    How anyone can justify it is a mystery to me.

If your home life is not condusive to keeping an outdoor cat, get another pet.

I work long hours – so does my partner.
    We’d love a dog, but it wouldn’t be fair to keep it inside for long periods whilst we work.
    Should I just get one anyway?
    It probably won’t mind being locked up for 24 hours at a time THAT much.
    And anyway, it’s just a dog.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

We have 2 Burmese cats, a lot less wild than bengals and more suited to indoor life style. We let ours out during the day time but most breeders will not let you buy from them if you plan on letting them out. They are clever things, will fetch etc and run to the door when they hear the mrs car pull up, you sit down and there be on your lap instantly.

stox
    Free Member

But my statement stands:
    Keeping a cat indoors is selfish, egotistical and wrong.
    How anyone can justify it is a mystery to me.

If your home life is not condusive to keeping an outdoor cat, get another pet.

It must be difficult living with such narrow minded views.
    Do some research – don’t just make assumptions and don’t assume people who keep their cats indoors don’t care about the welfare of their cats.

RustySpanner

Do some research – don’t just make assumptions and don’t assume people who keep their cats indoors don’t care about the welfare of their cats.

I’ve had cats all my life – I also have friends who have exclusively indoor cats.

A cat is not meant to be kept inside.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is putting their own pleasure before the welfare of their pet.

It must be difficult living with such narrow minded views.

No harder than knowing I’m keeping a creature that would love to be in it’s natural habitat outdoors imprisoned inside, I would imagine.

Seriously, what satisfation is there in keeping a creature that is meant to have access to the outside locked in a house all it’s life?
    That’s potentially 18 years without ever experiencing a huge part of it’s natural environment.

And you reckon that’s not cruel?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Considerably OT but I wonder how many cat owners think its OK to let their cats (introduced species) go out and about and terrorise the local wildlife, but would be offended when their own moggie gets terrorised by a bigger, wilder introduced species….

Cougar

Indoor cats are happy being indoor cats. Outdoor cats are happy being outdoor cats.
    It’s change which is the problem.You can’t take one and make it the other.

Rusty, speaking as someone who’s always had outdoor cats, you’re wrong. Sorry.

RustySpanner

Cougar – Moderator

Indoor cats are happy being indoor cats. Outdoor cats are happy being outdoor cats.
    It’s change which is the problem.You can’t take one and make it the other.

Rusty, speaking as someone who’s always had outdoor cats, you’re wrong. Sorry.

You can condition most creatures, including humans, to accept almost any environment.
    According to the testimony of many hostages, if you keep a human locked up for a number of years, they are initially distrustful of the outside when you open the door and allow them a choice.
    That acceptance doesn’t make the imprisonment any less wrong.

Imprisoning a creature that is meant to have access to the outside, when there are lots of alternative companiable indoor pets available can be nothing other than an act of pure selfishness.

It’s obvious we’re not going to agree on this and I’m starting to repeat myself, so I’ll leave it at that unless anyone brings an alternative point of view to the debate.

Cougar

Human rights and animal rights aren’t directly comparable. Otherwise, we’d all be vegetarians.Which is more cruel, to have a cat live happily to 20 indoors, or have one die under a car tyre aged 3?

I don’t disagree that in preference I’d rather cats could roam; as I said, it’s what mine did. But I’d strongly disagree that keeping an indoor cat is cruel.

RustySpanner

Cougar – Moderator

Human rights and animal rights aren’t directly comparable. Otherwise, we’d all be vegetarians.

I wasn’t comparing the comparative rights of humans and animals – for a start, I don’t believe animals have or should have ‘rights’.
    I was stating how all animals can be conditioned to accept an unnatural and unhealthy environment.

Which is more cruel, to have a cat live happily to 20 indoors, or have one die under a car tyre aged 3?

I’d say to have one live to 20 indoors.

unknown
    Free Member

The SSPCA obviously disagree with you Rusty. They were very happy to let me adopt my two rescue cats in the knowledge that they’d be living indoors. And it’s not like they were happy to find just anyone to take them, I had to wait months before they got any in to re-home.

I can understand where your point of view comes from but unfortunately things aren’t as black and white as you seem to think. Mine have had the opportunity to go outside, they just don’t want to.

docrobster
    Free Member

Ours used to go out for days on end but now she is much happier indoors.
    She’s scared of the big bully bengals over the way.
    Outdoor cat conditioned to be an indoor cat by other cats.
    Teh ironing, etc

bruk

Many Bengals are evil little feckers. I would never have one as a pet. Vocal, destructive, dominant and often hunt well or fight regularly if allowed out.

Get a moggy, most centres struggle to rehome black/white cats. Get a pair of those and enjoy normal cats (nb they do not come with a manual and can be as capricious as any woman )

PJM1974
    Free Member

Aggressive?

Well, not our two. In fact our Bengals are two of the most gentle and affectionate cats I’ve ever met. They’re intelligent and very vocal, but they’ve never raised a claw to me despite having to administer worming meds and the occasional bath.

Ours are rescue cats, their previous keeper decided to get rid of them but they haven’t damaged anything in the house, they don’t pee all over the place and they don’t make a nuisance of themselves.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

docrobster – Member
    The fact that they get a specific mention in the same sentence as “dangerous wild animals act” seemed like a clue. 🙄

Woah…slow down there Columbo! They’re mentioned specifically to exclude them from the Act….basically, the exact opposite to which you allude :mrgreen:

You obviously haven’t read the link that you felt so compelled to post, or if you did, there was little or no comprehension on your part.

JohnnyPanic

Exactly.
    Most cat rescue shelters will have cats that for one reason or another will be perfectly happy or prefer being indoors. Get rid of the idea that one breed or another will suit, visit some cat shelters near you, explain your situation and take advice from the staff there. and you’ll end up with the best match for you & your situation.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Bengal cat(s)’ is closed to new replies.