Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Benefits of not drinking?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

After the dry January (which I didn’t take part in) I was discussing quitting drinking with a bloke over a beer who had been dry all January up until last Sunday.

He was saying apart from saving a few quid he hadn’t really noticed any benefit.

I came up with weight loss as a benefit.

Assuming you are not really caning the booze, what other benefits are there to quitting?

tonyd

Not wasting an entire Sunday feeling sorry for yourself?

johnners
    Free Member

You reduce your risk of various cancers, but unless you’re a heavy drinker the reduction in absolute risk is tiny.

piemonster

My main benefit is sleep being vastly improved.

I’m a massive lightweight when it comes to the next day, couple of pints is enough for a hangover.

onehundredthidiot

Friend was dry for six month While marmotte training. Reckoned it made no difference, she spent as much finding nonalchoholic interesting drinks.

Everything in moderation.

cokie

You’ll;
    – have more money to spend on shiny bike bits
    – get up the hill quicker
    – get out for a sunrise ride
    – be able to eat more pie/chocolate/chips with less guilt
    or something like that..

jon1973
    Free Member

Not drunk anything in January so far. Don’t feel any different. Saved a few quid though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve seriously cut down, never one for a pissup, but a couple of pints and a whiskey or two per week, but now down to one beer a week, one whiskey.

Only benefit so far is that pint tastes sooooooooo goooooooood 😆

Kryton57

I came up with weight loss as a benefit.

Easily achieved by getting slaughtered on Gin & slimline tonic and one eye on myfitness pal.

kcal

suspect better sleep pattern, more alert (not not hungover way, just a bit more zing); am seriously considering it for a period as while not caning it, is consumed quite regularly 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not wasting an entire Sunday feeling sorry for yourself? – No real hangovers after 10 pints of 4 bottles of wine
    have more money to spend on shiny bike bits – Lucky enough to be able to buy booze and bits
    get up the hill quicker – possibly but I have never been good uphill
    get out for a sunrise ride – always preferred to wait until it warms a bit
    be able to eat more pie/chocolate/chips with less guilt – I eat without guilt

I guess there is little real benefit just need to moderate down from 8-10 pints a night then 🙁

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You do know that some people can have a couple of drinks and not get hammered and spend the next day with a hangover?

I guess there is little real benefit just need to moderate down from 8-10 pints a night then

If your horse isn’t as high, the view isn’t so great.

chambord
    Free Member

I didn’t give up booze for january but was very careful about consumption (Gone from drinking a beer or 2/3 most nights to none during the week and only a couple on friday/saturday).

I feel a lot better for it. Went out on Saturday night with friends, got absolutely hammered and felt like shit all day sunday and still pretty crap on monday. Don’t think I’ll bother again.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

People who drink alcohol outlive those who abstain, study shows

I’ve always maintained that not drinking doesn’t make you live longer – it just feels like it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont drink

No hangover would be one but i doubt you will magically become healthy from this act alone

As its a poison its hard to argue it is not bad for you but how bad i really dont know.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

OH reckons her skin is better as a result of no alcohol but suspect most of us fellas would not notice on ourselves

steve-g
    Free Member

I stopped drinking for a month or so in the summer, and yeah, saved money both on drinking, and on stuff you buy from ebay after drinking. Definitely makes it easier to be a “morning person” and get up and train. Mentally I felt I was stronger when it came to pushing myself in training. Definitely lost weight, again a double benefit of drinking less calories, then also eating less calories because I havent drunkenly ordered a pizza. After 3 or so weeks I was definitely mentally sharper than usual, and all the problems and puzzles of the work day seemed easier than before………But it is so boring, it’s not sustainable, now I just attempt to hit moderation

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

on stuff you buy from ebay after drinking

ahh yes, the old ebay alcohol interface. bringer of many surprises in the post. good point.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Stops punching of and wrestling with wildlife

Removes goggles

Saves much money

jon1973
    Free Member

ahh yes, the old ebay alcohol interface. bringer of many surprises in the post.

A friend of mine ordered a biltong oven after a night out.

peterfile
    Free Member

After 3 or so weeks I was definitely mentally sharper than usual, and all the problems and puzzles of the work day seemed easier than before

How much were you drinking previously?

zilog6128

this! I wouldn’t even contemplate not drinking as a good wine/beer is a great pleasure but I’ve pretty much given up getting drunk.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Forgot about eBay – That does count as a benefit. I once woke up with a TVR to collect the next morning but I blame that on the wife watching Dancing on Ice so I had to go on the internet while drinking

cheers_drive

Easily achieved by getting slaughtered on Gin & slimline tonic and one eye on myfitness pal.

Gin hasn’t got that much less calories that than other spirits.
    Beer is full of calories though.

medoramas
    Free Member

I’m not a strict non-drinker, sometimes I like to have a beer (last year I had about 8 I suppose…) – the ultimate advantage is that the beer tastes soooo bloody good after few months of no intake!

tonyd

No hangover after 10 pints?! Hat’s off to you sir, I haven’t been able to drink that much and come out unscathed for about 10 years.

Edit: Just re-read your statement in cokies post. Is that 10 pints of wine? I’m even more impressed!

steve-g
    Free Member

@peterfile – Probably too much say a bottle of wine to 1.5 bottles of wine in an evening – once in the week and again on Fridays/Saturdays.

What surprised me was that it wasnt a case of, abstain, get it out of your system, feel better in 48 to 72 hours, there was a marked constant improvement for a period of about 3 weeks

cokie

Not wasting an entire Sunday feeling sorry for yourself? – No real hangovers after 10 pints of 4 bottles of wine

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

No hangover after 10 pints?!

It’s not the hangover that’s the pain, it’s trying remember whose garden you left your car in.

peterfile
    Free Member

Probably too much say a bottle of wine to 1.5 bottles of wine in an evening – once in the week and again on Fridays/Saturdays.

The biggest improvement could have been to the quality of your sleep, which was giving you the added clarity the next day?

I used to have a bottle of beer or glass of wine every night after dinner, which obviously isn’t a lot, but noticed a marked improvement in my sleep when I stopped for a while. For some, I don’t think it takes much to disrupt sleep and I reckon at a bottle a night your sleep was being impacted to some extent.

binners

No hangover after 10 pints?!

Cheers! 😀

lowey

Ive done the dry January for the last 3 years. Always lost weight, this time 5 pounds. That said I did drink to excess in the months leading up to christmas. Usually a bottle of red every night. More at weekend.

Aside from the weightloss, sleep has been so deep and restful. You know that feeling of waking up after a proper full deep sleep. Its been ace.

That said I have missed a fine red and some proper real ale.

Saccades
    Free Member

Welllll…… in my case my bloodwork looked a lot better:

My Bilburin levels plummeted to the lower end of the scale and my eyes no longer looked yellowish, plus my skin looked healthier and I lost weight.

My Gamma GT levels halved (I now know I don’t have bone disease), in fact everything looked a lot better after 3 months on the waggon (except my albumin/globlin ratio which has increased to almost worrying levels).

Oh, I was richer too.

jon1973
    Free Member

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

tonyd

You know that feeling of waking up after a proper full deep sleep.

It’s been about 5 1/2 years since I knew that feeling. Forget Movember and Dryathlon, I need a No Kids April. Or something.

willard

For me, the main benefit of not drinking is just the much, much easier ability to train and maintain fitness. Leaving aside the extra calories of booze (even in moderation), the dehudration, lack of sleep and general feeling of shit the next day means that I am far happy not drinking that I was when I drank.

Alcohol is a very damaging addiction that, for some reason, people find more socially acceptable than smoking. I hate smoking for the damage that it did to my fitness for years, but I detest alcohol for the damage that it has done to my relationship. My wife’s drinking was the main (and probably only) reason that I very nearly got divorced last year. I’d like to see it taxed to shit.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Alcohol is a very damaging addiction

only if you’re addicted. Not everyone is.

I’d like to see it taxed to shit.

Why? because you and/or your partner don’t know how to drink in moderation? Why should i have to pay for your inability to control yourselves?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’m doing the dry january and out of interest i’m going to continue into march so i can see about the 63 days to break a habit thing. but thats irrelevent to the op, for that i can say that the difference, for me, in not drinking now for 26 days is quite apparent. i have a lot more energy, my overall mood is better, i’m definitely less anxious and in my running/swimming i have noticed that i am getting back in the flow way more rapidly than this time last year when i still drank. i also deal with stuff rather than go to tesco for some booze. for me, its a good thing that i’ve needed to do for a good few years now and i do feel liberated not having to go buy booze every day. and goodness its lovely to be able to definitely know you are not going to be hungover next day. each to their own really.

Drac

Long term health benefits of not drinking will be good but if you wish to be sensible then why not enjoy small pleasures in life.

Alcohol is a very damaging addiction that, for some reason, people find more socially acceptable than smoking.

Well for one people drinking doesn’t cause none drinkers to develop many diseases and illnesses, where as smoking does.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Benefits of not drinking?’ is closed to new replies.