Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Benefits of larger capacity tyres?
  • Johnboy373
    Free Member

Hi all

Its time to replace my rear tyre on my hardtail, I currently run mountain king 2.2's which I've had no issues with.

But when i was reading comments left on Chain Reaction Cycles website a few people were say they run a 2.4 on the front with 2.2 on the rear. Would this offer more grip on the front end?

I need the tyre for Sunday for a visit to GT so I've already bought a 2.4 to try.

How many others run their bike like this and what are the benefits of it?

Cheers

John

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Wider tyres grip better as they can deform more over the ground. You usually run a wider one on the front, so the rear breaks aaway before the front (which is more controllable)

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Thanks rockthreegozy. Thats the only real complaint I have with my front MK2.2 It washes out sometimes. I've read what everyone thinks of Mountain Kings in general and I will change to something else once I've got time for some research.

More grip on the front end is what i need tho.

cheers

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I run a 2.25 on the rear for added comfort and a 2.1 on the front for lighter and more precice steering (on a hardtail)

Trimix
    Free Member

Tyre pressures are possibly more important.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Lower or higher trimix? I think i'm running 40psi or maybe 35 I need to check

highclimber
    Free Member

Conti Vertical on the front! amazing grip in all but the wettest conditions!

chiefgrooveguru

Lower or higher trimix? I think i'm running 40psi or maybe 35 I need to check

Lower at the front because there's less weight on the front tyre much of the time so with equal pressures you'd end up with unequal contact patches and thus less grip up front.

tron
    Free Member

I run 25-30PSI in my RQ 2.4 front. Similar in the back.

Olly
    Free Member

what rims are you running.
    if they are any less than 19-20mm wide, 2.4s will fold quite easily.

i have XC717s, and 2.4s are sooooo unstable at anything less than a billion Psi.

also depends a lot on the bike, your riding style, and where you are riding (GT in this case)

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Ok I cancelled the mountain king because I can pick them up in halfords. So I've reserved maxxis high roller 2.35 and a MK vertical 2.3.(halfords doing a deal buy 1 get 1 half price.)

Maybe worth experimenting with these?

tron
    Free Member

Me? An on-one reetard on the front, which I think are about 20mm wide internal, and a 521 on the back.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Benefits of larger capacity tyres?’ is closed to new replies.