Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bending disc rotors back into shape – can it be done?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I've now gone and pretzeled my disc brake rotor after trying to stamp on my rear wheel late last night in a desperately futile attempt to pull it back into some sort of round-ish shape. 🙄

It has about 2-3mm of sideways play across 1 third of its circumference now.

Can I bend it back into some sort of ridable shape to get me through today's ride – and how should I do this?

Or should I just forget about it and find something else to do today instead?

gusamc
    Free Member

I got some clean cardboard (back of an A4 pad) and made a U to cover disc, the clamped a large adjustable spanner over U and used it to lever disc. You have to overbend to get the required bend if you see what I mean, go slow and steady till you get a feel for how much force and pull it takes to make a change to the rotor.

Try (very very hard) not to touch any 'brake' part (pad faces, disc) with hands or anyhing else oily,greasy etc etc.

TooTall
    Free Member

Park even do a tool for it!

higthepig
    Free Member

Yes you can if you are patient. Use an adjustable spanner, making sure the jaws are il/grease free and a fairly tight fit on the disc, gently tweak it back into shape. It takes time and should be done with the wheel in place. Keep rotating it back/forth, and have a gentle lever with the spanner, best to have a light touch and not too heavy handed. may take a while, especially if it is well out of shape. Good luck.

shermer75
    Free Member

One of these should just about do it….

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheers… thanks for all the tips – disc rotor now almost perfectly true. I think the trick is to try to also gently bend the rotor arms as well as the braking surface if at all possible, otherwise things go skewiff.. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bending disc rotors back into shape – can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.