Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Ben Lomond (pics)
  • Royston
    Free Member

Great pics! I've walked up Ben Lomond and taken in those views many times(brought up in Helensburgh which is not far away). Kayaked and Sailed on the Loch as well. I live in NZ now so it's nice to see a bit of home and jog a few memories.

Sanny
    Free Member

TJ

What part of the access code restricts the time that you can ride your bike on Ben Lomond? It's funny how that has never come up at the Access Forum Meetings I've sat on.

Responsible access doesn't preclude when you can ride the Ben. Perhaps you're worrying too much and looking for problems that aren't really there? Do you also tell walkers when they should walk the Ben so as not to upset the bikers?:D

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Oh and great pics by the way.

It's a great route – hence why I did it as a route guide. Well worth the effort of the carry though I reckon I know several UK descents that are possibly even better. 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I'm surprised no-one has yet said they did this on a rigid singlespeed with cantis and rode all the way up and down.
    What's happened to this place?

I did it rigid in the 80s along with mcmoonter, don't think we rode up much but it was raining.

Looks very different. Must give it a go.

I did this in te 80's on a rigid stumpjumper with cantis in the SNOW, we rode up from the Loch Chon side 8)

EdwardH

Some cracking pics, on riding this route I am usually having too much fun to think of taking pickies. As for upsetting the locals – as a local I cant say I have had any problems.

Most folk on the hill, either during the week or weekend are happy to see what they consider a nutcase hurtling down on a bike, many even cheer you on. The only times I have had the cold shoulder is when overtaking someone on the way up with a bike over my shoulder.

Rob, yes I have lost the smell of pine, and once my wrists stopped stinging I got all my old innertubes repaired. If I manage to meet you guys for your trip up Ben Lomand I will have a nicely patched tube for you, that is if I can get the Patriot fixed, as I broke it on the Glencoe downhill track.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sanny -A lot of it is down to interpretation. you have an obligation to be reasonable. Given the number of people who walk on that mountain I don't believe its reasonable to go on it with a bike at peak times due to the potential for conflict and irritating people. All I want os for cyclist to act responsibly and to think about what they are doing. If you go on Ben Lomond on a busy summer sunday I don't believe it is reasonable. Certainly you would be unable to have a clear run at the descent if you follow the advice in the code.

Not many mountains that this applies to but Ben Lomond is one of the busiest.

As for the advice

# Cycling
    You have a right to cycle. Cycling on hard surfaces (wide paths and tracks) causes few problems. On narrow routes be careful not to frighten or endanger others (e.g. walkers, horse riders, farm animals, dogs and wildlife) and 'give way' to these users by dismounting or stopping till they have passed. Think of it like the Highway Code! If you are cycling off-path, avoid wet, boggy or soft ground. A landowner should work with the local authority to identify potential cycle paths and if fences are to be built across the line of a path or track then gates that allow cycle access should be installed.

Thats from the MCofS

On narrow routes, cycling may cause problems for other people, such as walkers and horse riders. If this occurs, dismount and walk until the path becomes suitable again. Do not endanger walkers and horse riders: give other users advance warning of your presence and give way to them on a narrow path.

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/out-and-about/recreation-activities/cycling/

Edit – I suppose partly I meant advice to folk who don't know the mountain to try to avoid peak times as the descent would be better with less people on it and to avoid the risk of conflict.

I don't believe its much sacrifice to avoid the busiest few times a year

Mainly tho I just want folk to remember that the access for cycles is not absolute but qualified by a need to be reasonable and to consider this.

grumm
    Free Member

Most folk on the hill, either during the week or weekend are happy to see what they consider a nutcase hurtling down on a bike, many even cheer you on.

Yeah but I enjoyed it a lot more knowing we were the only people left on the mountain. Would have been a lot more stopping and starting if there was more people about. We spoke to quite a few people coming down as we came up and they all thought we were nuts. A few were slightly disapproving.

Sanny – go on then – enlighten us.

Sanny
    Free Member

grum

In the Lakes, start with the cheekiness that is Ullock Pike then have a gander at the descent off Whitelees Pike. Both are outstandingly good.

I'd be interested to know how you rate them in comparison if you've ridden them?

There's also some cracking riding to be had round Ben MacDhui and Cairngorm as well. That's your started for ten!

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers – Ullock Pike is next on the list. Not done Whitelees Pike either but will certainly check it out.

Going up to the Cairngorms for a few days now, but no more big rides for me on this trip I don't think.

I did this in te 80's on a rigid stumpjumper with cantis in the SNOW, we rode up from the Loch Chon side

Don't see much riding going on there – and who's the ginger on the shopping bike with no helmet? 'Core 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ullock Pike is next on the list.

Give us a shout I will ride it with you if that is ok, on my rigid SS naturally 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Been up the Ben on two occasions recently, one on a rainy saturday (met one other person) and one on a very sunny sunday, and met 10 other people lol. I think either I was very lucky both times or the native view of "busy" is somewhat skewed in relation to that in England where you'd find 10 people every 100 yards on a popular trail.

It certainly would need to be done off-peak though, even so, as there are some sections that are obstacle enough, without being obliged to not kill walkers at the same time. And remember, skids are for kids.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

coffeeking – I have been on Ben Lomond where you were queueing to get on the top – a couple of hundred people on the path maybe?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Crikey, must have some serious fluctuations then! I'm trying to think back as to whether it was a weekend that was forecast to be bad but ended up good, it's virtually out my back door so I don't generally plan.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Back in the day I remember meeting a ranger with a clipboard who met us on the descent. He told us bikes werent allowed on Ben Lomond. He'd tried to catch us as we rode up but couldnt catch us.

We carried on riding down 😆

Sanny
    Free Member

TJ

I hope that in the spirit of responsible access, you decided not to go up the hill given how busy it was! 😉

Sanny
    Free Member

TJ

I hope that in the spirit of responsible access, you decided not to go up the hill given how busy it was! 😉

adstick
    Free Member

Obviously we would have done it on our cross bikes had we brought them with us…

Great pics Grum, thanks!

stevomcd
    Free Member

(brought up in Helensburgh which is not far away)

Me too, been up Ben Lomond at least a dozen times.

steviegil
    Free Member

Superb pics fella 8)

hainman
    Free Member

my father in-law is chappin at the bit to take me up on the bikes but think i need some practice first,got some nice wee cycles near me though up the kilpatrick hills so i'll need to get some more hours in before i give that a bash.loved the pics though its magic to be able to go out on yer bike with these places on your door step,

grumm
    Free Member

Give us a shout I will ride it with you if that is ok, on my rigid SS naturally

Yeah will do, if you think you can keep up with my blisteringly slow pace uphill.

I'll be on my road bike. 🙂

Couple more pics

In other news from Scotland – Laggan is a bit good isn't it.

Oh yeah, and Adam – where are your pics? 😛

Bunnyhop

Great pictures (as always grum).

I wouldn't have the nerve to ride stuff like that, I suppose you just have to commit.

I love Laggan. We rode it the first week in May. It was so quiet I was able to session stuff. Just a bit nervous of the board walk.

Keep riding. I'm doing my first for 2 weeks tomorrow. after overdoing it at Hit the North and on a STW Peaks ride.

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers Bunnyhop. Yeah as with many things a lot of it is just about confidence.

I wasn't a fan of the boardwalk at Laggan, and my gf definitely wasn't! Loved the rest of it though. Didn't get to do the black sadly but I will certainly be back.

Good to hear you are keeping at it too.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Ben Lomond (pics)’ is closed to new replies.