Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ben Chonzie
  • DickBarton

Evening!

Looks like I’ve got a free weekend coming up and I’ve got a stack of camping stuff to try out…so whilst I’m still thinking this is a great idea I’m planning on a wee trip here and there and I’m fancying a return cycle to the top of Ben Chonzie.

It isn’t the most technical hill by a country mile, but it was one of the bigger hills I did way back when I wur a lad and I’m fancying going back to see if I can ride further up it than I used to be able to.

From memory I’m going in from the south and kind of straight up to the top. It was covered in huge rocks previously, but it has been over 20 years since I was there last…anyone got any updated detail on it? Probably ride in from Invergeldie and then head north east instead of round to the north west.

Also, as a slight twist to it, is there a route down from the top to the Turret Burn (from or near Lochan Uaine) so I can come down Glen Turret?

Cheers.

rickon
    Free Member

Someone will give you a better description, but its a big old track up to near the top, and then a bit of a grassy slog with some rocks around.

Have a look on Walk Highlands for some recent photos 🙂 have a look in the forum reports for more…

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/ben-chonzie.shtml

DickBarton

Cheers, so very similar to how I recall, ta.

flowerpower
    Free Member

I’ve walked up from the turret side, while the path along the reservoir is pretty rideable I wouldn’t like to ride up to the top of Chonzie that way, it was a fairly indistinct path through heather… although it was winter. It might be a possible descent, but not much fun (as I remember) .

Jo

DickBarton

Ta…so more and out and back, no probs, ta.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Ran up it a couple of months back. There’s a Land Rover track to maybe 3/4 of the way up then open hillside/heather.

Would be rideable but hard going.

tomd
    Free Member

The main route is just straight up and down to Invergeldie. You can make a small circuit by using the track that goes up to the east of Meall na Seide.

There isn’t a bike-able route down to Turret Burn that I know of – the slope down is craggy and properly steep.

Last time I was up there we came up via Glen Turret. There is a walkers path that continues on from the track marked on the west side of Loch Turret and heads up Carn Chois. We went up it but it would make a mostly rideable and quite challanging descent. It’s grassy so dry-ish weather would help.

The track from Carn Chois to Ben Chonzie is nice in places, however a lot of it is bog. It would be at it’s best now after the summer and recent dryish weather.

Edit: it’s a good idea these days to start at Comrie Croft. There’s a nice track up from there. That way you can enjoy the fun trails there and get a massive miserable climb in one ride!

matt_outandabout

+1 for starting at Comrie Croft.

Beagleboy

When do you have the weekend off Barton? Bazz and I are heading down to the Lakes this weekend (glamping at a site in Thornthwaite), for a spot of beer fuelled biking. Drop me a text if you’re interested. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ben Chonzie’ is closed to new replies.