Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bell Tents and Stoves – Your experiences or thoughts please.
  • richpips
    Free Member

I’m thinking a 5 metre bell tent and a frontier stove to heat said tent for my support crew at Strathpuffer.

Fire away…

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a frontier stove.

A friend has a large bell tent, permanently erected at his wood. He also has a small woodburner with it. Unfortunately Ive never been in it when his is going. Mine is in my garage,

The frontier is very handy. reasonably easy to light, although I recommend putting some paper balls and quick burning tinder at the back of it under the flue outlet to get a fast draught going. you do need thin dry fuel though ideally. Split stuff down to 2″ and no bigger.

The flue pipe is very narrow so you wont need a big silicone gasket for the tent wall.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where you planning to erect this at contin rich ? Not a whole heap of flat room…..

richpips
    Free Member

There are a few place it would fit if I remember rightly from last year. A bit of a walk up the hill mind. 😉

Clong
    Free Member

I have 5m bell tent with stove, although it’s not a frontier stove. We use for visiting family all year round. Very warm with fire going, 5 degrees outside shorts and t shirt inside kinda of warm. Tent weighs a ton when it’s wet. Tent is good size for 4 of us and big dog. Quick to put up, takes about 10-15 minutes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fair play rich , If i manage to get to the puffer to support my mate i know where ill be coming for some heat 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

5 metres is usefully big. I had a double pine bed in there with bags of room for table, storage, studio space etc.

Only problem I found in winter months was creeping mildew where the walls sag in the damp. Prob me being lazy and not rotating/moving the tent about often enough (at all 😳 )

Was advised by the maker that canvas bell tents do best on short grass (better still on decking) and for them to be re-pitched periodically (even if simply rotated) when erected for long periods. This is to discourage moisture/mildew by getting air to all sides/nooks/crannies.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

4m bell tent with frontier stove, brilliant. nice and warm and popping some quick burning tinder at the back to the get an updraught going is good advice. you might also want to think about spark arrestor to stop sparks (although someone suggested drilling some holes in the flue outside the tent to encourage sparks to burn out before leaving the flue, not terribly sure about that). a couple of campsite have been a bit cagey about the stove but ok once I mention the spark arrestor. around £20
    also a heat mat to capture any sparks that do come out of the stove into the tent. around £35
    there is a bag for around £20 as well but it’s pretty crap. i had a look and might have been tempted if it had some storage pockets but without them I can’t see the point. The right size of gym bag from tk maxx is probably a better deal.
    i’ve had a some great trips this year but islay was one one of the best. a strong wind outside, lying in the tent with the stove lit, a good book and a glass of bowmore was one of the highlights.

BUT if it gets wet, dry it as soon as possible as canvas tents to develop mould fairly quickly

EDIT and just so’s you know, it’s pretty scary taking a knife to your expensive tent to cut the hole for the flue. the fitting’s pretty straightforward but it helps if there’s two of you tob get the bolts properly tightened.

richpips
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the info. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bell Tents and Stoves – Your experiences or thoughts please.’ is closed to new replies.