Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Belgium…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

What is the point of Belgium? How can a country of a similar size and location to the Netherlands be so painfully anonymous and unremarkable…?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s an excellent place to fight a war, as history has proved.

druidh
    Free Member

Beer

Chocolate

iDave
    Free Member

OP, have you ever been to Europe/Belgium?

andrewh
    Free Member

It’s a country created by the British to annoy the French.

loddrik
    Free Member

Still plugging away then iDave…?

mudmonster
    Free Member

You sound like Arnold Rimmer.

IainGillam
    Free Member

The topic is slightly ironic being a cycling forum no?

Iain

sc-xc

I had some great times in Antwerp. Lots of great bars, a good underground punk scene, loads of festivals…running fights with the Nazis back in the early 90’s…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

iDave
    Free Member

No just asking. It has a lot going for it which you may not see from your sofa. That’s all. As you were…

mudmonster
    Free Member

Flanders is full of nazis and Wallonia full of drunks(a lot of them my friends, and 1 an ex :))

mudmonster
    Free Member

If every country in the world was annonymous and unremarkable the world would be a much better(and drunker)place.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Cyclocross, Tour of Flanders, Leffe. Bike shops. That’ll do me.

Kuco

Like the beer not keen on the chocolate and they seemed friendly enough.

loddrik
    Free Member

Are there anymore strings to belgiums bow than beer and chocolate and JCVD…? I’m sure we can name numerous famous Dutch people, but famous Belgians…?

druidh
    Free Member

Audrey Hepburn??

leffeboy

Druid knows his famous Belgians
    🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Famous Boggies?

Van Damme
    Mercx
    Tintin
    Poirot

What more do you need?

iDave
    Free Member

Jacques Brel, Eddy Merckx

I’d say Belgians could name some more.

Who were the famous Dutch you had in mind?

trailmonkey

a part of the world that should have a deeper meaning for most of us

“there is some corner of a foreign field” and all that.

rusky
    Free Member

Eddy Wally!

chickenman

The film “In Brugge”: Modern day classic IMO..

tonyg2003

Cyclocross, Tour of Flanders, Leffe. Bike shops. That’ll do me.

Plus Ghent six day. Well for me in three weeks time anyway!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I lived in Holland for 4 years and have to say, Belgium was our regular escape route – particularly weekends in Antwerp. Better food, better beer, better service, not so uptight and generally a lot more fun loving and laid back bunch of folk to hang out with.

A lot of people’s perception of the Netherlands is based on a weekend visit to Amsterdam -that’s as wrong minded as basing your entire view of the UK on couple of hours in Covent Garden. The rest of the country is not like that at all.

People who’ve only ever been to Amsterdam seem to think that the Netherlands is a shining beacon of hedonism and tolerance. In reality it’s a deeply conservative country with a lot of snobbery bubbling under the surface and a LOT of overt racism. Also virtually nil sense of humour- I can’t say I ever found that in the Belgian cities I’ve spent time in (Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge etc).

Antwerp in particular has a great music scene, really strong design culture and a vibrant food culture.

I think the reason that the country as a whole has something of an image problem is that it’s really only been an independent nation for a few hundred years.

Sure it’s got its share of s***hole industrial wastelands, notorious serial killers and a pretty dodgy colonial history, but doesn’t that sound familiar?

jools182
    Free Member

Soulwax

and Leffe

they don’t need to do anymore

john_drummer
    Free Member

and fritjes

JulianA
    Free Member

Nice people, great cities, great archictecture, excellent beer and chocolate and cheap train travel – what’s not to like?

I’d move there tomorrow.

grahamh
    Free Member

Mods, please ban this man for using the most offensive
    word in the entire civilised universe

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Adolf Sax inventor of the saxaphone.

I’ve always thought Plastic Bertrand’s Ca plan pour moi was the only decent pop song the French gave the world but I’ve just found out he was Belgian

iDave
    Free Member

Spa and Houfalize too

grumm
    Free Member

Whats Belgium famous for ?

Chocolate and……

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Was this thread inspired by today’s news that Nigel Farage has been elected leader of UKIP ?

It was Nigel Farage who earlier this year described Belgium a “a non-country” and calling it “an artificial construction”

Well was it loddrik ? You strike me as someone who might have a keen interest in UKIP…….the political party for the more angry Daily Mail reader.

You clearly share its leader’s contemptuous attitude to Belgium.

Farage defiant after calling Belgium ‘a non-country’

loddrik
    Free Member

Nope, didn’t see farages comments but, daily mail aside, maybe he’s my type of guy 😉

iDave
    Free Member

Why did your visit to Belgium disappoint you OP? Was it not as nice as your part of Liverpool? Could they not understand you?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think he is actually.

How can you get yerself worked up over Belgium ffs?

You’ll do yerself a mischief, thinking too much.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

Nope, didn’t see farages comments but, daily mail aside, maybe he’s my type of guy

So just a strange coincidence then…..

And yeah, I reckon he could well be your kinda guy………he’s a right ranting right-winger……

In fact some people have suggested it was his ranting which caused the plane crash he was in ……

Some people also say he died in that crash…..

Marge
    Free Member

Why would you think Belgium is pointless? Anonymous perhaps but don’t confuse anonymity with discretion. If you prefer the american ethos of shouting about how great everything is there then I’m happy for you.

Over here we’ll just enjoy our ‘pointlessness’ in private thanks… 🙄

lyons
    Free Member

I was with a belgian girl last night, and based on the fact that she’s about 10 times classier than most english girls, I like Belgium.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

beer, chips and chocolate. Breakfast of champs. Perfected in Belgium.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Belgium…’ is closed to new replies.