• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Belated happy birthday Eric 'Winkle' Brown
  • JulianA
    Free Member

Amazing guy – probably most people have never heard of him, but some on here will have…

Just reading his Wikipedia entry makes me realise what amazing things he has done and what an amazing life he has had – and may he go on for many years yet!

Happy Birthday sir – I admire you and your achievements.

grahamt1980

Yep. Read his book. It’s amazing he is actually still with us

JulianA
    Free Member

Er, yes! Test pilots don’t generally have a long life span – apparently even l less so ME163 test pilots!

jimw
    Free Member

I have been fortunate to meet him twice, the second time when he gave a lecture at Old Warden. He drove himself to the venue over 100 miles, gave a two hour lecture without notes and then another hour of signings/ talking to idiots like me and then drove himself home. He was 92 at the time IIRC
    A real gentleman.

I have heard he had a fall in the autumn in London and is not so well at present.

jools182
    Free Member

Unbelievable character

I could listen to him all day

Someone who has truly lived

jimw
    Free Member

My comment was in error
    Apparently he has recovered from his fall-good news

JulianA
    Free Member

Missed your replies Jules and Jim – thanks and glad to hear your thoughts and experiences. I think that he is an incredibly under-appreciated person in these days of (pseudo-)heroes.

Del

saw the documentary about him last year. astounding. to have achieved half as much.

Defender
    Free Member

An incredible man, lived on the edge of the envelope for most of his life, truely a hero in all senses of the word.
    I’m sorry to hear that he isn’t well after having had a fall :(.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

He’s starting to look a little frail these days. As he is entitled to with the number of years he has under his belt.

It’s disgraceful that he was never knighted; but I suppose he wasn’t in any Carry On films…

jimw
    Free Member

It has been said that he has turned a knighthood down in the past. Not sure how true that is.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Belated happy birthday Eric 'Winkle' Brown’ is closed to new replies.