Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Beinn Narnain loop, Loch Long, anyone been up?
  • Johnbot
    Free Member

Looking around to do some actual mountain biking before the summer totally disappears. Anyone been up here? How’s the riding?

Beinn Narnain

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks way too steep. I’ve seen folk descending the cobbler (Ben arthur) maybe a better option.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Haha. Naw. Not going to happen.

fergal
    Free Member

Yep Narnain is a no no, you will be carrying most of that route, a small amount of scrambling when walking, have ridden the path down from the Narnain/cobbler/imme col, some big waterbars to begin, track gets quite fun and fast by the end.

If you want to bag a peak you would be better doing Beinn Imme above the col, would be possible on a bike, not to technical.
    Not to sure what happens on the cobbler when people say they have ridden it, as the last third is really just a jumble of rocks/boulders, i had a thought that possibly the path down the back to the imme col, may well be a goer, but haven’t checked it oot yet.

Garry_Lager

1 to 2 to 3 is not possible on a bike. However, the forest road and path all the way to the lochan at 5 is well surfaced, ie 8 – 7 – 6 – 5. I think there would be some pushing on the steep bits, but you’d still be able to ride a decent amount overall.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Cheers Fergal, I take it there’s no loop to that? Just straight up the valley with Narnain North and eventually East and then back the way you came? The grade does look easier, i’m not to used to reading these maps with a bike in mind

fergal
    Free Member

Eh… there is no lochan at 5, it’s the Imme/ Narnain col you trying to confuse things Lagers. Do you mean ride up past the dam on the other side on fire road, then do a big carry over the col, there is no good well surfaced path homes.

fergal
    Free Member

Yep the cobbler path up the valley, come back hence you came, was doing just that a few summers ago but was late starting, so aborted at the col, walked up there a few times all doable.

Garry_Lager

Put the bong down Fergal, the lochan Chlaidheimh is clearly next to the place marker #5 on johnbot’s map. I’ve walked down from 5 and remember the path as looking great for cycling – although I could be mis-remembering where the good surface starts it’s true.

druidh
    Free Member

This is a picture of the final climb to the summit of Narnain (somewhere after “3” on your map – The Spearhead).

2004-01-25 125055 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

It’s in winter, but I think you get the idea….

fergal
    Free Member

OOPS Lagers you are quite right, there does seem to be a small perfectly formed lochan.
    How did i miss you recomending the very route i was meaning! 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Beinn Narnain loop, Loch Long, anyone been up?’ is closed to new replies.