Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Being thick – new build seat post content
  • dan1980
    Free Member

If a frame description says:

Seat Post: 31.6mm
    Seat Collar: 34.9mm

Would you expect

a) that you should be able to fit a seat post of diameter 31.6mm into the frame
    or
    b) That you should fit a seat post the next size down from this diameter (e.g. 30.9 or 31.4mm)

ojom
    Free Member

It means the frame needs a seat post of 31.6mm and the collar to hold it in position will need to be a 34.9mm

your option a is the right one.

neninja
    Free Member

It means exactly what it says –

You need a seatpost with a diameter of 31.6mm and you need a seatpost clamp with 34.9 (or 35mm) diameter

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kiwijohn

a. Why would they lie to you?

dan1980
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’m glad I’m not being thick then!

I have an mmmbop frame, a 31.6mm truative hussefelt seat post and a 34.9mm seat collar.

Even with the collar completely removed, I can’t get the seat post into the frame!

mmb
    Free Member

is the inside of the seat tube clean, is there any paint on the inside, is the slot on the seat tube paralell on both sides of the slot,ie has the slot been squashed together slightly?.

dan1980
    Free Member

The slot looks fine, and there’s no paint in the tube.

The seat post has a bevelled edge which inserts into the seat tube, but it wont go past the part where the tube reaches its maximum diameter.

Olly
    Free Member

is it a painted seatpost?
    grease the bugger?

dan1980
    Free Member

Bugger greased to within an inch of its life and thrust in with some force (ooh matron!) but it wont go in!

mmb
    Free Member

you need to take to a lbs and ask them to ream it for you as it would seem this has not been done yet!, when tubes are made the sizes both inside and out are not exact due to the manufacturing process so the internal diameter is reamed if there is going to be a component of any any description fitted inside and this probably has not been done!. HTH.

dan1980
    Free Member

For the love of god!

This frame has been a right pain in the backside, had to get the bb faced and the thread chased because it’d been botched when it was made. Appears the seat tube is screwed as well!

Junkyard
    Free Member

is it new? Send it back do you have another post /mate near by to try there post?

proteus
    Free Member

buy cheap
    buy twice
    hth

ojom
    Free Member

Sure you haven’t got a 31.8 seatpost there?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sounds like quality control is top notch on them there Ragleys 😆

Funny, how on a number of bikes over the years, I’ve never had to ream a seat tube to get the ‘correct’ sized seat post to fit

dan1980
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member
    Sure you haven’t got a 31.8 seatpost there?”

The seat post has 31.6mm etched onto the side of it, but I haven’t got anything to measure that accurately here, so I cant be certain that the tube is the same diameter as the mark.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Have you got a decent steel rule?

That would be accurate enough to differentiate between 31.6mm and not when measuring the id of the seat tube

dan1980
    Free Member

Just had a go at measuring with a steel tape measure, and the inner diameter looks to be less than 31.5 😥

I have a 30.9 seat post, can I just stick that in and do the clamp up really tight?

khani
    Free Member

If it’s a new frame, send it back and ask for one that’s ok, I’ve never had to ream a new frame to fit the seatpost
    Brant seems an amiable sort of chap when he posts on here, I’m sure he’ll sort you out

Lactic
    Free Member

You could try shimming the 30.9 post with a bit of coke can if it’s too loose. Should take it up to about 31.5.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no you will over stress the frame doing that IMHO
    ream if s/h after moaning at seller or send back if new.

khani
    Free Member

Don’t bodge it, not worth the risk of wrecking a new frame and invalidating the warranty,
    Just send it back and be patient, it’ll be worth it in the end

ojom
    Free Member

gotta say – we haven’t had one mmmbop that needed reamed… all have been good.

downshep

Give it a couple of Jack Daniels, dim the lights, Barry White CD, draw the curtains. Should slacken off in ’bout half an hour.

stumpy01

I’d get the seatpost measured with a caliper.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Being thick – new build seat post content’ is closed to new replies.