Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Being asked to work whilst signed off on a sicknote…
  • DaveRambo

From your last post the boss seems is being a bit cheeky – or maybe he didn’t get or understand the info

I’d just reply back saying you can’t come in as the surgeon said you can’t work for X amount of time – I’d add it that it’s a bit of a pain to imply you’d be happy to come back but can’t.

Keep it all friendly and don’t worry about it. As long as you keep them updated and don’t read anything into text messages (as you may well be wrong) all will be well.

surfer
    Free Member

The whole experience was made far worse by our employer then harrassing her back to work, including sending its own doctors round to assess her fitness for work.

Its not harrasment to ask employees to see independent doctors or for HR to make appointments to come to an employees home.

The acts themselves are not harrasment event though you say they are. They need to be handled sensibly and sensitively however I have been aware of employees taking long periods off and spending the time in the pub/shopping/biking etc. I would support a visit from a doctor on these grounds.

ourmaninthenorth

The acts themselves are not harrasment event though you say they are.

I understand the technical difference.

But, if you claim to be a “great place to work”, don’t then pressurise your unwell workforce back to work simply because of the fees they generate. It’s indicative of the poor attitude that so may law firms have to their employees.

As it was, the firm lost out – she left straight into the welcoming arms of a rival.

EDIT: I ought to point out that, lawyers being the driven professionals we are (especially working in those type of environments), can usually be trusted not to take the p-ss. Unlike the sort of proles you clearly employ.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    surfer
    Free Member

I understand the technical difference.

Then try harder as technical diferences are your stock in trade !

lawyers being the driven professionals we are (especially working in those type of environments), can usually be trusted not to take the p-ss

However

It’s indicative of the poor attitude that so may law firms have to their employees.

So which is it? Is your firm not headed up by lawyers? Maybe you should bring this up in your firm. It mine was treating people unfairly I would.

Also

I said

however I have been aware of employees taking long periods off and spending the time in the pub/shopping/biking etc. I would support a visit from a doctor on these grounds.

The key phrase here is “I have been aware” so your reference to the “proles” I employ is incorrect on factual grounds. Are you an advocate?

4ndyB
    Free Member

Just a couple of things to iron out!

Before my operation I informed my employer that I would be off work for at least a week, probably two & that there would be no lifting for about 6 weeks

6 days into the 1st week my employer contacted me via text and asked when I would be coming back to work

I replied saying I will find out the next day after I had spoken to the surgeon

My employer contacted me the next day by text to ask if I could come to work on the next day

I replied that I was signed off as not fit to work by my surgeon

I managed to get a lift from my Aunt today so I went to work to hand in my ‘not fit to work’ note. No boss in the shop. But one of the Saturday lads was in the shop, I don’t know how long he’ll be there or how long he’d been there. Just copied the not fit to work note on the photocopier, apologised to the lads for being off sick and left.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Being asked to work whilst signed off on a sicknote…’ is closed to new replies.