Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Beginners hillwalking….
  • DT78
    Free Member

In the new year I want to go for a few longer walks with the better half.

Can you recommend any decent starter walks potentially with stop overs in nice bbs? Wales / lakes sort of area as we are based in Southampton

sas
    Free Member

How about the Welsh coastal path? I’ve walked a few bits of the Pembrokeshire coast, brilliant scenery, loads of small coves and beaches, several hostels and B&Bs on the way, and a bus designed for walkers so you can walk one way (or get a lift to the next town):
    http://www.pembrokeshirecoast.org.uk/?PID=433

rwamartin
    Free Member

I’m based in Pembrokeshire. If you decide you want to come this way let me know if I can help with more detailed info.

Rich.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll take a look. Thanks for the offer of help too!

lesgrandepotato

How about starting with the South Downs way, ridgeway and Cotswolds way?

scotroutes

That’s a lot of driving for a few walks. I’d go with the above suggestion and start closer to home. Have a look at Country Walking/Trail magazines for ideas. Once you’ve done that a few times you’ll be better able to appreciate the higher trails.

Philby

Cotswolds Way or Offa’s Dyke trail.

molgrips
    Free Member

The whole country is completely covered with nice walks. You probably don’t need to drive far. Get some books for the areas you want.

psling
    Free Member

I’m guessing you’re looking for weekends away in various parts of the country like the Lakes, Snowdonia, Brecon Beacons, Exmoor, etc.?

Circular walks probably better than linear Long Distance Paths. As scotroutes suggests, have a look at Country Walking / Trail magazines, pick an area that interests you from their featured walks, buy the OS Map for the area and get planning 8)

DT78
    Free Member

yes I’m looking for well known multi day scenic routes with nice bb/pubs en route to stay over.

We’ve done plenty of short day walks in the New Forest but looking for a bit of a change. Want to see some proper hills!

dknwhy

South Downs Way could be good for you or head to the Brecon Beacons. If you base yourself in Talybont On Usk, there are some good circular walks you can do and it’s a nice village. The Malthouse is a good B&B.
    You’ll be able to head up Pen Y Fan too. Just remember to treat the hills with respect, especially in winter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Beginners hillwalking….’ is closed to new replies.