Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Beginner with aspirations – Hardtail or FS?
  • trailmonkey

I rode a HT almost exclusively for a few years including riding it in the Alps and I remain totally unconvinced that it made be a better/less lazy/more genuine/faster/slower/more core/less core rider in any way shape or form. However, it is a lovely bike and I still like to ride it when I feel like it (tonight as it happens).

Pick the bike that suits the terrain that you'll be riding on and the bike that's going to inspire you to get out and ride most.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Like Trailmonkey said, pick the bike that suits the terrain you're riding on.

The Boardman or even a Trance X5 are good exceptions to the sub-£1000 full suss. I bought a £700 Scott G-Zero 9 years ago and never looked back. Both the X5 or the Boardman have decent forks (some hardtails are still coming with low rent RS Tora forks at that kind of price) and reasonable kit. With not too much if any a weight penalty over a hardtail at this price, fitting fast rolling tyres and pumping the suspension up harder will be enough to make it feel fine on easy terrain and will allow you to progress when you get to more tricky trails.

Equally, if you're just starting out and see a hardtail as the way to go, don't get drawn in by over built play bikes or all mountain. They will be way over built for what you need and likely heavier than the full suss options.

Too many people on here seem to see owning a hardtail first as a rite of passage!!?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

If you're from Farnham, what better way to get you out on the bike and meet people to ride with than Cinnamon_girls forum ride at Swinley in a couple of weeks.

Mind you, meeting some of us lot might put you off.

p.s. my 2 penneth, hardtail with 120mm ish forks, plenty out there to choose from.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Beginner with aspirations – Hardtail or FS?’ is closed to new replies.