Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Beginner clipless pedals advice?
  • j2b2
    Free Member

Hi
    Can anyone offer any advice on how I should choose my first clipless pedals for XC/enduro?
    Also is it worth considering clipless-platform hybrid pedals (think they exist..)?
    Thanks!

jimdubleyou

If you’re getting SPDs get the multi-release cleats.

They come off a bit easier.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The speed of disengagement depends on muscle memory IMHO, so it’ll take a while before you become accustomed. Grazed knees and undignified falls will be the norm for a while, unless you’ve dancer’s feet.

A platform is a very good thing IMHO, even with thirteen years’ experience I still unconsciously unclip and rest on the pedals when I’m negotiating anything I feel remotely twitchy about, but there’s a great deal of choice out there. I’ve used Crank Bros Mallet pedals in the past, but I’m a huge fan of Shimano DX and XT Trail pedals. The positive engagement of the Shimanos is a confidence building factor for me, plus you can adjust the tension.

medoramas
    Free Member

I would say “too easy” – anything fast and bumpy (doesn’t have to be anything technical – think about tractor track) and your feet will be unclipping uncontrollably.

Get normal SPD cleats and set the release screws on the pedals to the minimum.

slowoldman

I started with clipless as a roadie. Initial advice –
    Ride on grass while you practice.
    Try not to laugh at your OH when she stops at a junction then keels over.

I got a set of reversible pedals as you suggested when I started MTB – Shimano something or other. Eventually being a bit wussy and not at all gnarly I’ve gone for flats.

thenorthwind

I’ve just started using SPDs as well. My advice is practice unclipping at the last possible second: find some flat grass, roll to a stop and unclip before you topple over. It helps recreate that panic you feel when you realise you’re still clipped in. It sounds easy, because you know what’s coming right? Go and try it 😛

I did this for a bit, and I’ve never managed to not get unclipped, though this has a lot more to do with multi-release cleats and loose-set pedals than my mad skillz.

lunge

I’d suggest the following:
    A pedal with a platform – PDM 530 is a good place to start, I don’t rest on the cage but they do offer a bigger area to aim for when clipping in.
    Normal cleats – Multi-release always feel vague to me, you’re not sure if you’re in or out, the normal ones are much better.
    Set the tension low – But not low enough that it feels vague to clip in or out.
    Accept you’ll fall – It happens to us all, once, maybe twice, but at some point you’ll fall over at slow sleep and you’ll feel like a fool.

136stu
    Free Member

Always check cleats are tight before setting off – I learned the hard way! Wanted to stop but couldnt unclip cos cleats had worked loose, so had to slow right down and lean over until I landed on the pavement (didnt think to remove shoes!). Older couple passing in car stopped to see if I needed an ambulance and more embarrasingly a guy in full SKY kit stopped to show me the error of my ways.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I would say “too easy” – anything fast and bumpy (doesn’t have to be anything technical – think about tractor track) and your feet will be unclipping uncontrollably.

Get normal SPD cleats and set the release screws on the pedals to the minimum.[/quote]

Agree with this, then gradually increase the pedal tension as you get used to it.
    Shimano do a combined platform/spd pedal (m324) if thats what you want to try, although personally i’d just stick to dual sided spd.

stumpy01

medoramas – Member

Get normal SPD cleats and set the release screws on the pedals to the minimum.

This is what I did with some of the cheap Shimano 520 pedals. It was fine. I had plenty of ungraceful low speed falls, but nothing major.

I did buy some platform pedals for trips to Spain, as there are frequent re-start points where you really need to get on the pedals asap. But, in hindsight I am not sure whether they really offered that much benefit over the standard pedal. Hard to say without a back to back comparison.
    I went for Shimano M424 pedals with the plastic cage. I now have them fitted to my hardtail in case I want to nip out on it without spds on.

j2b2
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. What are the main reasons to switch to clipless – more power for sprints/uphill?

retro83
    Free Member

136stu – Member

Always check cleats are tight before setting off – I learned the hard way! Wanted to stop but couldnt unclip cos cleats had worked loose, so had to slow right down and lean over until I landed on the pavement (didnt think to remove shoes!). Older couple passing in car stopped to see if I needed an ambulance and more embarrasingly a guy in full SKY kit stopped to show me the error of my ways.

At least you realised before you tried and failed to unclip at some traffic lights 😳

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’d strongly recommend setting the tension to minimum!
    I got some new pedals last week (M424) to replace my m520’s.
    Stuck them on and forgot to change the tension. Went to stop at the top of the first climb and slowly keeled over (luckily on to a soft embankment!). When I got out of the tangle I took a look at them and they were about 3/4 of the way to full tension! 😳
    Quick twiddle with the allen key and all was good with the world again.

In terms of why, I found that with platform pedals I had on previously anything fairly rough and my feet were getting bounced off the pedals resulting in my backside taking a few unplanned sharp impacts with the saddle.
    So, I stuck on some m520’s that I had from an old commuter. One ride with them and I relaised that I wanted a platform around for those times I need to dab a foot down and then don’t get the opportunity to get clipped back in straight away.
    So, m424’s from decathlon for £20 has fixed that.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’ll go with contrary advice and say that if you don’t know why you want clipless, don’t bother! A good, wide set of flats, good shoes, and good technique and your feet won’t be coming off when it gets bumpy, and you’ll lose almost nothing in terms of pedalling efficiency. Just my opinion though, ymmv of course!

martymac

I use basic m520 shimano on all but one of my bikes. (Xt spds on the other)
    If you havent used them before, get some practice in with one spd pedal and one flat for an hour or so, on grass is preferable.
    Ive used spd since they were released, I feel unsafe on flats now if its off-road.
    Ultimately, you are gonna have an embarrassing fall while using them, but stick with them, they’re worth it.

Inbred456
    Free Member

/shimano-m424-pedal. These for me are the best starter clipless pedals. They are light support your shoe and don’t carve your shin or calf when you get it wrong.

pipiom
    Free Member

Age,and bounce resilience, dependent, of course, but don’t !!!

khani
    Free Member

If you do want em, pick a brand, eg, Shimano, Time (recommended) Crank Brothers (LoL!), or whatever, have a few comedy clipless falling off moments and then get used to em..
    Single sided platform, multi release cleats and similar stuff is just crap, don’t waste your money..

hardenpeter
    Free Member

Just wind the tension right down. Ive used platform, one sided and basic 520s and like Khani found the cheaper 520s the best. I think crank brothers even do a studded flat with an spd in the middle. Learnt to use them in london traffic so had an incentive to get it right first time!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The major plus for the cb is you can clip pushing forward, pulling back and pushing straight down, a lot easier than the shimano alternative. Something like a candy and some nice stiff shoes are a good combo or the Mallet dh/e with a flat style shoe. There is float to move around it I found the release angle to be very consistent.
    As to why? Easier to put the effort in, one less thing to think about and being able to run a nice stiff shoe/small pedal combo is great.

phil40
    Free Member

I have gone the other, and switched to flats. After an incident on my commuter where the cleat came unscrewed so the pedal couldn’t detach I have thrown them in the bin!

I am possibly 1min slower on my 1hr commute so it just didn’t make a difference for me! I realised that the main reason I was using clipless was because I ride in lycra and thought I would look stupid with flat pedals……I have now learnt that when commuting to NGAF and nobody cares!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Beginner clipless pedals advice?’ is closed to new replies.