Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Beginner Bike
  • hughesybear
    Free Member

Hey guys

I want to get into MTB’ing and been talking to several stores up and down the Country.

The guys instore at Evans have been super helpful as have Leisure Lakes. Where i am stuck is either a front suspension bike or going right in for a front and back suspension bike. Seen this Norco bike c7.2 at Evans and it look awesome and they are doing it for £3.2K down from £4K. Been told that carbon bikes are the way forward?

https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-sight-c7-2-2016-mountain-bike-EV243373

question is will it be cool for me to jump straight on having not done any real mtb’ing and handle ok or would it be best for another bike style?

I don’t want to be changing or buying new parts anytime soon hence why i would be cool with this money

Cheers
    Al

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

id go along to a few demo days and try out all the different shapes and sizes to decide which sort you like the best. you could get some amazing bikes 2nd hand for that sort of budget..

jekkyl

you’re considering a 3.2k carbon norco as a bike for a beginner!
    how often do you think you’d ride it, once or twice a year? 🙂

hughesybear
    Free Member

I’m joining a club here in Yorkshire and will be out 2-3 times per week. want to get fit and really into biking so felt that this is a decent place to start?

jekkyl

have you done any cycling before?

hughesybear
    Free Member

yes. before i went off to Uni i was on Kona cinder cone every weekend just about the local trails. talking to fold in the shops they suggest that things have come on huge amounts the past 10yrs
    ]

amedias
    Free Member

I want to get into MTB’ing

If you’re new to modern MTB with fickle suspension parts, and modern high tolerance drivetrains and you do actually get propelry into it and ride a lot then you will crash, break stuff, bend stuff, and wear stuff out without noticing and do further damage, these things are not really ideal for something north of £3k as a beginner.

You may also find that even if that £3k bike is great, it might not be great for you and your style/preferences, which incidentally you don’t know yet, so again not really ideal.

I don’t want to be changing or buying new parts anytime soon hence why i would be cool with this money

^ Suggests to me that you’re trying to future proof your purchase and do it ‘right’ first time, it’s an admirable goal, and if you really do get into it then can be well worth spending the money, the problem is you’re going to go through a learning period about kit and preferences, so sometimes it can be worth looking a bit lower down the ladder first, not because as a new rider you don’t deserve it, but because you just don’t know at this point what is going to work for you.

If however £3k is small change to you and the money isn’t really an issue then by all means ignore me and buy the shiny-shiny-nice-bike 🙂

EDIT – all this typed before your post about riding before Uni!

If you’re just playing catchup as a lapsed-rider then that puts a slightly different slant on it, the comments about preferences are still valid though as people change in 10 years as much as bikes do.

hughesybear
    Free Member

cheers for that amedias

thestabiliser
    Free Member

In mountain bilking you have to earn the right to nice bike, so you buy that Norco and I’ll look after it for you until you’re ready, in the meantime you can have my crappy old on-one. OK?

You can thank me later.

(as above, if you can afford it and you like it, get it. Get a few demos in though cos it’d be shit if you didn’t get on with it)

hughesybear
    Free Member

I hadn’t ever heard of the norco brand before? Seen it in Evans Cycles and they say they are the only sellers of these bikes in Uk. Anyone ridden them?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Beginner Bike’ is closed to new replies.