Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • before I take a hammer to my bike…why can't I set up my front mech…
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Literally 2 days worth of effort…can’t stop it rubbing for love nor money.

Its a braze on effort, so straight away I can’t appear to adjust the height, and its clearly been set up for a triple..Do I need some kind of adapter? or will that make no difference to the rubbing?

Before anyone says get rid of the front mech, I should point out that this bike is for a pal, and she needs the gears. It has however been a long time since I’ve set one up on my own bike and it appears I’ve forgotten the dark art despite studying many videos on youtube.

Am I destined to have to go to the bike shop for such a ‘simple’ task?

darrenspink
    Free Member

After two days, I would suggest you did.

Where is it rubbing, top bottom or sides?
    Does it rub on each ring?

Try watching this…

VIDEO: how to adjust a front derailleur

tpbiker
    Free Member

sides

thats the vid i was watching….first fail is the mech is far higher than a few mm above the ring..more like 2 cm..

scotroutes

What size of chainrings are you using? You aren’t trying to fit MTB cranks to a roadbike frame?

tpbiker
    Free Member

36 front i think…

on a mtb

dvatcmark
    Free Member

The last time I was in this situation, it turned out that I had a 9 speed front mech and 10 speed shifter! Thought I was going mad for a while

darrenspink
    Free Member

What speed is the mech for? A 10 speed would mean that its designed to be used for a 10 speed chain which is thinner than 8/9 which could be the reason for rub. And yes you can buy an adapter to allow height adjustment a quick search reveals.

Northwind

If it’s any consolation, tonight I did this

I think I prefer 1×10

tpbiker
    Free Member

ah…its a 10 speed xt 780 on a 9 speed set up.

I have a 9 speed version somewhere that i will try.

ta

BigDummy
    Free Member

I always think of it as a procedure to get the bike working, not a test of my manhood. If in difficulties, give up and go to the bike shop.

🙂

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Make sure that you have the right mech for the frame.There are different “swings” and “pulls” and doubles and triples. They will sit at a different height, reach etc.

I have a direct mount front mech, running a triple up front, on a frame that was designed to run a double. I’ve got it working but it can be finicky.

Gary_M
    Free Member

more like 2 cm.

That’s never, ever going to shift the chain properly. You’ve got the wrong parts or something missing, take it to the bike shop.

nickc

Back to basics, Is it straight? Is it low enough, are the high and low stops set , tension right. Check chain, mech and chainring compatibility.

When is it rubbing? straight chain line, or at the extremes?

bigjim

Is this the Canyon you bought from us last week? If so the mech does go up and down, loosen the bolts and it has some vertical movement.

If you are using the mech that we left on the frame, it is the original mech that came with the bike, it worked with the triple chainset that came with the bike which is listed here http://www.bike-magazin.de/workshop/2012/teile/show/23910 , but if you are using a double or different range of chainring sizes you might need a different mech.

If you are putting a double on I’m not sure it will work without a double specific mech or not, the only double setup I’ve experience of is the old SLX double which had a double specific front mech, this had a different rising rate to allow for the jump between 22 and 36 rings which you wouldn’t have to deal with on a triple.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

E2 front mech?

Like bigjim said, there is some vertical movement. The Shimano manual for it tells you which position to have it in depending on how many teeth there are in the largest chainring if you’re using a double or triple.

Once you get it sorted you may still have trouble getting rid of all the trim in certain gear combinations. You also have to rely on cable tension to sort out the chainline. I still have nightmares thinking about it. Thank goodness for 1x!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘before I take a hammer to my bike…why can't I set up my front mech…’ is closed to new replies.