Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Before I hit the buy button, is there anything better (which hardcore hardtail?)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just about to hit the big red button on a Chumba HX1 as an ‘every day’ alternative to the Pich (which is about to sprout coil lyriks and hit 36lb!)

Pro’s:
    Lighter than steel
    More responsive than steel (sacrilege on here I know, but I’m always surprised how stiff and efficient alloy bikes feel after a while on steel hardtails)
    Low BB and slack head angle (EBB and tapered headtube means it’s tweakable too)

Cons:
    Not the lightest
    Seat angle is at the steep end of the spectrum
    Medium frame is 19″ and still not as long as I’d like.

Unless someone knows of an aluminium hardtail with a 600m top tube, 17″ seatube, 67deg HA, 71deg SA, low BB and short seatstays I’m hitting the buy button.

cynic-al
    Free Member

hardcore = a bit of weight does not matter.
    steep seat angle…so?

yossarian
    Free Member

Chameleon? Not far off your numbers

rOcKeTdOg

add 26″ to the cons 😉

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Cove Stiffee? Again not that far off your numbers, slightly slacker head/seatangle, but looks nicer imho…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

add 26″ to the cons

There is the HX2, but I want something as close as possible to my Pitch, but built up around 10lb lighter (sektors, hope hoops, XT 38/26 drivetrain, single ply tyres), HX2 would be more like my swift but more ‘core, which is probably equally good!

That’s why the pitch weighs as much as some DH bikes 😛

steep seat angle…so?

My body doesn’t like them, I can’t seem to pedal with any efficiency/power, even on the Pitch I have to run the saddle all the way back on the rails,

ash

Why do you only want a 71 deg seat angle?? surely 73-74-ish is better for an “every day” bike (i.e. one that can winch up hills nicely).

godzilla
    Free Member

EDIT – didnt read the brief properly

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why do you only want a 71 deg seat angle?? surely 73-74-ish is better for an “every day” bike (i.e. one that can winch up hills nicely).

Because 10 yeas ago we all rode around on bikes with 71/72deg seat angles and usually a layback post too, and we rode up hills. These days we’re told we need 73+ and enjoying a climb has been replaced by “winching”. I’ve tried it (456 and my Pitch) and it doesn’t work for me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

so seat angle isn’t right for you then?

sv

Just got a NS Bikes Surge to go with my Pitch. Yes it’s steel but it feels fun so far.

sambob
    Free Member

Mmmbop? If there’s one around anywhere. Orange Crush maybe? Otherwise the safe bet is a Chameleon.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Why does your pitch weigh 36 lbs ffs?

Mine has coil lyrics and a coil rear shock and weighs nowhere near that?

ash

Because 10 yeas ago we all rode around on bikes with 71/72deg seat angles and usually a layback post too, and we rode up hills. These days we’re told we need 73+ and enjoying a climb has been replaced by “winching”. I’ve tried it (456 and my Pitch) and it doesn’t work for me.

OK, fair enough, each to their own (we have differing preferences for hardtail frame material too ;))

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it was 30lb out the box without pedals then

Double ply tyres, +300g each
    burgtech mk2’s + 750g
    reverb + 250g
    lyrics + 500g
    and a few other odds and sods, the grips were replaced with ticker ones, the bars with wider, the stem with a stiffer one, saddle with a comfier one which probably add another 500g between them and it’ll probably get a coil shock seeing as I’ve blown up the air one so the weight gain hasn’t ended yet!

we have differing preferences for hardtail frame material too 😉

I like steel frames, but I like aluminium ones too, this time it’s going to be aluminium I think.

sv

Why does your pitch weigh 36 lbs ffs?

Tyres/chain device/dropper seatpost plenty of opportunity to add weight 🙂

rob2
    Free Member

I have an hx1 and a chameleon. Hx1 is more sprightly and a good 1.5deg slacker with the same fork (measured by one of those spirit level apps)

It’s a good bike and about half the price of a chameleon

ash

Do Burgtech Mk2 pedals really weigh 750g?

You could save 412g (not far off a pound !) immediately by fitting these for just over £30

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Already got some new pedals on the way (da bomb bare bones), the burgtechs are ace for grip though, nothing I’ve tried even comes close apart from mk3’s which are 500g, the only problem is for £150 you get pedals that refuse to die so 4 years of use later they look a little battle scarred but still spin like new so justifying a replacement is hard!

P20

Are you running a layback or inline post? Layback would slacken the seat angle and lengthen the top tube. Two birds, one stone!
    Alternatively, Carbon 456? 16″ is 600mm and 18″ is 609mm (from memory-don’t shoot me if I’m wrong!!)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

carbon 456 was the first on the list, especially at £250, but it’s not a shape I could love!

And yep I’ll be running a layback post.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Owned a pitch and tried a 456 carbon (both with Lyriks)and the 456 seems like a good ht equivalent.

As for looks, is the HX1 any prettier?

GW
    Free Member

on here “hardcore” usually means long expensive fork on over built overly heavy steel frame ridden mostly sat down.

to any decent rider a bit less weight does make a difference.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As for looks, is the HX1 any prettier?

It looks unique?

on here “hardcore” usually means long expensive fork on over built overly heavy steel frame ridden mostly sat down.

Good job it’s a cheep fork stopped down and on an aluminium frame.

to any decent rider a bit less weight does make a difference.

Then my pitch means I’m assssummmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!

Right, on that note I’m off to bed as I have to be up again at 4:30 to get laid!

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

carbon 456 was the first on the list, especially at £250, but it’s not a shape I could love!

Ah but maybe it was, before it melted.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ah but maybe it was, before it melted.

Looks more menaupause than melted (bit saggy up top and spreading a bit around the bottom bracket).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you have a Pitch, why do you want a hardtail version of a Pitch? Why not just use the Pitch?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you have a Pitch, why do you want a hardtail version of a Pitch? Why not just use the Pitch?

2 reasons;
    *the pitch has gravitated towards being a mini-dh bike (which works brilliantly in the Peaks and Lakes where the trails go up then back down something big open fast and rocky) and my other bike is a rigid 29er SS (which works brilliantly at Swinley/Tunnel Hill where the trails are all allong), so there’s a big gap in my shed for something in between with the ‘fun’ of the pitch and enough travel to make decents fun, but with simplicity and lightweight of the singlespeed.

*n+1

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 HX1s and they’re fantastic frames, especially the new version. It’s much more compliant than the old one and doesn’t have that stereotypical alu stiffness you might expect.

I sold the 2nd one to help fund a butcher/highball combo but every time Si from progressive posts that picture of the HX1 next to the house and swimming pool I always think it would split the difference between those 2 quite nicely…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Before I hit the buy button, is there anything better (which hardcore hardtail?)’ is closed to new replies.