Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Before i buy a satmap off amazon ..any reasons not to?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

seems a good deal at £300 for the active 10+ incl full 1:50000 UK mapping
    before I go for it just wondered if there’s anything better about for the cash or problems I should know about that might sway me otherwise.
    thanks in advance
    Bill

deviant
    Free Member

What phone do you have?

I havent used my old sat-nav since getting a phone with Google maps, Google navigation, Streetview etc on it….does a much better job all round….just had to buy of those things to mount it on the dash.

uplink
    Free Member

I don’t think most bikes have a dash

just a thought

kaiser
    Free Member

only got a VERY basic phone ..had thought about getting something new and up to date with viewranger or similar but not being smartphone literate and having found my bros satmap fairly easy to use I’m tempted at the recent deal.

nicko74

For some reason I read that as ‘before I buy a stamp off amazon…’ which was rather odd.

That’s all.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Don’t have a sat map personally but go out with my nephew who has got one and it’s very good. Easy to use and tough as old boots. Got a iPhone with the view ranger app which is fine but I wouldn’t fancy strapping it to my handlebars with the amount of times I come off 😀

easygirl

There was one on for sale a few days ago for £200 I think

kaiser
    Free Member

someone also suggested the garmin gpsmap62s as being very good …
    a bit more cash with the same maps but tbh I’m not very familiar with all the functions/features/capabilities (although I expect I would finally get to grips with them) so am keen not to miss out on something that may be useful in the future.

kaiser
    Free Member

think the £200 one only had national park maps and obviously no warranty .but thanks for the heads up

k-sugden
    Free Member

Hi I have had one for a couple of years and can’t fault it I like the way SatMap support the unit with regular firmware updates rather than expecting you to upgrade. The online route planner is a bit of a joke so just use walkhighlands GPS Route Planner instead. At £300 it sounds like a bargain I payed much more for mine

Regards Keith

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

phone….does a much better job all round

didn’t realise this was a joke thread…

br
    Free Member

for biking 1:25000 will work better, is there this option?

bighendo
    Free Member

yes, 1:25000 OS mapping
    i have this (40mile x 40mile square)
    centred around my home town

BadlyWiredDog

didn’t realise this was a joke thread…

I think there was confusion there between Satmap and sat-nav… ViewRanger on a smart phone is very good though fwiw. I like the Satmap, I think it’s more intuitive to use than the Garmin mapping units and is now a lot faster than it was when first launched and better developed.

The only thing to be aware of is that the Active 10 is more highly water resistant than water proof – the Garmin and Magellan hardware is better in this respect, but it’ll still cope with normal wet weather use just fine ime. You can buy a waterproof case thing – see the Satmap web site – which looks very, er,, Action Man, but does the job.

Other annoyance, it uses a screen protector over the actual screen and water and sweat – yuk – tends to wick down behind it and then dry leaving a gunky residue, so you need to take the protector off occasionally and wash it.

The downside is that you then can’t use the bike mount, but apparently Andy Heading hacked a hole in the base of the case and found it worked fine like that for biking.

They even have Mac compactility now, which took ages…

Blurboy
    Free Member

They are constantly increasing the range of mapping available as well – used mine in Spain last year – worked brilliantly

CountZero

An alternative might be to look around soon for deals on iPhone 4’s, when the 5 comes out there will be lots on the market after upgrades, and it’ll probably be available as a cheap 8gig version to replace the old 3Gs. There are waterproof/resistant cases around that will mount to bike ‘bars as well. Viewranger on the iPhone is superb, and there’s UK Map which uses the free OS maps, but there’s no route tracking with that one.
    You have the advantage of having music storage and having a very good camera with you all the time too.

BadlyWiredDog

Viewranger on the iPhone is superb, and there’s UK Map which uses the free OS maps, but there’s no route tracking with that one.
    You have the advantage of having music storage and having a very good camera with you all the time too.

But unless things change a lot, battery life is awful using GPS on the iPhone.

Jamie
    Free Member

As BWD says You are looking at 2 hours-ish, if your lucky, using GPS on the iPhone. After which you’re knackered….and have no phone either.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Before i buy a satmap off amazon ..any reasons not to?’ is closed to new replies.