Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Before I attempt: how easy is it to make an (Android) app that has…
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

The ability to drag and drop images from a ‘bank’ of them (think clipart)

resize (pinch) and rotate them

create ‘text boxes’ and be able to move, resize and rotate them.

Write text, using various fonts, in these boxes

Share your designs.

This is for a personal project – not looking to take to market – but is this in the realms of a team of professionals or is it not so hard using WYSIWYG-esque app builders?

Thanks as always

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve not tried the app builders so it may be easier but as a novice writing an app is tricky but possible. Took me a couple of days to write my first app; a fairly simple calculator. You’ll struggle to make the app you describe from scratch if you have little programming experience as there is quite a lot going on in that. If you do it in stages you’ll get there but it will take a while. I suspect some kind of app builder is the way to go, especially for a one off.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

That sounds a lot like Skitch – but I see Evernote have discontinued support, so maybe it’s quite hard to do after all.
    I realise that might not help if the project is ‘build an app’ rather than ‘use an app’

Mackem

I’ve no idea about the app builder things.
    If you were a developer then I think it would be straightforward enough, not easy but not complex.
    If you have programming experience give it a go, there’s tons of tutorials and more than likely a free library/tool that’ll do the complex stuff for you.

poly
    Free Member

You’ll not manage that with a wysiwyg app builder. What coding experience do you have?

jwh
    Free Member

This type of thing could be done in a cordova app using jquery.

Essentially if you can make it as a simple webpage – then you can wrap that in a cordova project and compile for android

Mackem
    Toasty

I’d be surprised if you found a way of doing all that without quite a bit of code.

I’d probably go through the stock Android SDK/Android Studio, it supports things like adding/rotating views, drag and drop etc. I’d imagine you could then dump the layouts out as XML to share. There would be a good chunk of Java required with this setup.

Alternately the Unity UI stuff is quite powerful these days, it would still require C# or js code for dragging/pinching etc.

Sadly I work as a programmer, so the code heavy route feels like the path of least resistance.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I really struggle with code. Whatever I try, it just doesn’t ‘click’. I passed Intro to Java (1st year course) as a retake and need to pass 2nd year Java as a retake this year. I was very sick last year when I took the exam so may have passed if well enough. Having said that, I smashed SQL which is code, of course. I’m no dummy, just not cut out for OOP coding.

I’m thinking about the app as a final year uni project although the bulk of the work would be the academic side, design, research etc as opposed to the actual app. I assume so anyway. My distance degree is terrible and we don’t get any feedback until the final grade. I can’t work out if we are able to get a good grade this way or if it is a terrible idea to not supply a ‘finished’ product.

The academic aspect(s) will include even if the app is a suitable tool for sketch noting, visual design of various ‘clipart’ and why they’re suitable. Analysis of the benefits of sketchnotes and how technology is taking over everything including note taking…

I think it can become a wonderful project but am unsure if the failure to provide a polished app. in a creative computing degree is ridiculous.

Mackem

I’s suggest doing something webby with a database if you don’t like OOP and are happy with SQL. (SQL aint really code)

geoffj

I think it can become a wonderful project but am unsure if the failure to provide a polished app. in a creative computing degree is ridiculous.

Will depend very much on the terms of reference for the project, but as agile approaches become more mainstream, maybe consider an MVP and iteration approach, rather than trying to deliver a complete application.
    The focus then becomes the translation of user needs.

“Minimum viable product” on @Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_product?wprov=sfsi1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Before I attempt: how easy is it to make an (Android) app that has…’ is closed to new replies.