Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Beer, pub, pint references in all the bike mags
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

with their Puritanical attitude to drinking beer.

my attitude isn't puritanical – I just hate the taste 🙂

If children are brought up by responsible parents to treat alchohol as something to be enjoyed for it's flavour, and to drink moderately, there'd be few problems.

with respect, I think this may be tosh – a proportion of people are susceptible to alcohol and likely to become alcoholics if exposed to it, no matter the context.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

…say a Muslim that biking is linked to a booze-culture? So bloody what, its been part of British culture to go down the pub for a pint for a few hundred years, who give a toss if a muslim doesnt like it tough, its a part of the social aspect of Mountain Biking. I am sure a Muslim is quite capable of ordering a soft drink.

Mark

I'm waiting for a subscriber to cancel his subscription 'cos beer is written about, as I've seen happen in Bike Magazine.

On Friday we received a letter from someone who stated 'beards' as one of the main reasons they wished to cancel their sub.

No really! 🙂

jamesca
    Free Member

"STW is clearly aimed at those of an older age bracket who have gone beyond sudden trends"

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha maybe the age part of that comment is correct

flippinheckler
    Free Member

STW do have silly beards though 😉 although its a reason to buy a subscription…STW aka ministry of silly beards & mountain bikes

chakaping
    Free Member

I don't mind a beard now and then, but not after a ride – and frankly I think ST is irresponsible to promote such behaviour.

duckman

SFB; If you muscle past your gag reflex, you will soon find the taste of beer quite relaxing, is there anybody who LIKED beer(since that is mostly what the op is refering to0 at first taste?

justme
    Free Member

everything madpiere says +1
    this is a bit like having a more literate alterego g

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB; If you muscle past your gag reflex, you will soon find the taste of beer quite relaxing

and what would be my motivation ? I've tried numerous times, and consumed nearly a whole gallon of the stuff over the past 35 years without developing a taste for it 🙁

Also I'm so relaxed already I often find it hard to stay awake in the pub…

hora
    Free Member

On Friday we received a letter from someone who stated 'beards' as one of the main reasons they wished to cancel their sub.

😆

SFB- Im with you actually. In pubs in the past I have had Lager tops. As a student I once sat in a pub next to the old football ground in Southampton holding a glass of red. Someone told me that a student had been glassed for drinking a glass of red not so long back. Thing is, I couldnt drink Lager 🙁

Olly
    Free Member

1 or 2 pints of local ales isnt really comparable to going out to "liquid and diva" or some other hot local spot with the express intention of drinking ones body weight in the cheapest alcopop availible?

Dave
    Free Member

I don't need a writer trying to emphasise (sic) with me.

I promise I have no intention of ever trying to 🙂

devs
    Free Member

I don't need a cycle to get me in the mood for beer. I have a pint after rugby, skiing and sometimes after doing nothing at all. I have even been known to have a pint when someone has decided it would be ok instead of working. Occasionally I'll have one lying on a sunbed next to a pool or beach too. How awful. Children and Muslims should probably be protected from me because I am clearly a danger to the rest of society.

cookeaa

There are an awful lot of dangerous things mentioned in various forms of print media which I have read about and yet not felt compelled to try, Suicide, Bestiality, Religion…

The fact of the matter is if you talk something up enough it goes from being a non-entity to the worlds biggest issue, apparently all Children over the age of 13 are knife wielding, drug addicts (According to various forms of print media), I’m not sure the actual facts always bare these kind of assertions out…

I have been for a post ride pint on occasion, and like many people I am capable of self moderation, what you may see as “promotion” of an alcohol centred culture is most likely a simple statement of fact, basically people do on occasion go for a drink to be sociable after a bike ride and nothing bad happens…

Just because we have a bit of an issue in this country with our drinking culture doesn’t mean we need to jump to the polar opposite position of total denial, remove all references however benign to alcohol consumption, you don’t make someone an alcoholic simply by mentioning beer, it’s a confluence of individual circumstance: upbringing, mental health, poverty, peers, and the media can all have some influence…

I don’t think reading MBUK, however poorly written it may be, is going to knacker anyone’s liver…

CountZero

with respect, I think this may be tosh – a proportion of people are susceptible to alcohol and likely to become alcoholics if exposed to it, no matter the context.

A proportion of people have addictive personalities period. No matter what you stop them indulging in, they will find another addiction: alchohol, drugs, gambling, online gaming, mountain biking…
    Neither of my parents drank, I was never given any advice at all on drink, or smoking, either, and my dad smoked until he died from a heart attack at 42, when I was 11. I tried a ciggy once with a mate and hated it, never smoked. Didn't try alchohol until I was in my late teens, 'cos I had no money, really, and apart from the occassional party, I've never made a habit of getting shitfaced. I love the taste of beer and single malt, but I don't enjoy getting drunk, I just fail to see the point. I really can't see a problem with adults having a beer or two after a good ride, it always seems to taste that bit better, and nobody is advocating getting hammered then riding home; that's suicidal. Just because New Labour is a synonym for New Puritanism, doesn't mean everybody has to adopt a lifestyle of total denial. The Puritans certainly never did.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

doesn't mean everybody has to adopt a lifestyle of total denial. The Puritans certainly never did.

and has anyone suggested this ? Were one practicing denial of sensual delights then MTB would be prohibited too 🙂

devs
    Free Member

My pal is a smoker and told me I should oppose the smoking ban when they were talking about bringing it in. His reason was simple. if they get it they won't stop there, they'll turn their attention to drink and all other kinds of fun soon. It would appear that he is becoming more righterer with every day.

antigee

think ahwiles made a very fair point
    not a lot wrong with a well mannered social post excercise brew and as said much better than simply getting hammered/having a fight/sleeping it off on the sofa

think the worst example of glorification of excess drinking was after England won the ashes – interviewing players who were totally trashed and holding them up as heroes

as to people that don't drink – many will be used to fact that others do and can deal with it and pubs have changed a lot

personally i don't like cake (!!!!!!) so a post ride cakeshop stop ain't my scene and i've never found myself tempted to join in the excesses

there is a big difference between only holding events in pubs that are supposed to involve the whole community and may therefore exclude some people and having a post ride beer/orange juice

jonb
    Free Member

Not really sure how you manage it but we rarely go out drinking as a club. Night rides finsish around 10-10.30 and people then have to get home and up for work so seldom hang around. On weekends we've often driven somewhere so drinking is impractical. Occasionally, we'll do a cake or chippy stop if we've got a way to go back.

Never really feel like alcohol after a ride anyway. And as above I much prefer the social pint after a biking session or paddling session rather than heavy drinking.

antigee

Were one practicing denial of sensual delights then MTB would be prohibited too

wanders off back to chores wondering if thats a problem with chaffing shorts or a covert reference to saddle sniffing

hora
    Free Member

I promise I have no intention of ever trying to

If you tried to me with you'd feel dirty and cheap!

DeVs its the one brave, noble and sensible act that Labour has done.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

they'll turn their attention to drink and all other kinds of fun soon.

well, many of us might not regard smoking as mucb fun…

MadPierre

everything madpiere says +1
    this is a bit like having a more literate alterego g

Oi! Less of the literate accusations!

As for the beards thing in ST. I must admit they have been starting to worry me…..!

MadPierre

Having just re-visited this thread I'm certainly looking forward to my post night ride pint tonight!

Don't worry though – I have to drive home after so there's no danger of it turning into a massive binge and me being an alcoholic before the weekend is out! 😉

Oh and mods: can you remove any references to alcohol from this entire forum in case any young folk read it and are corrupted into the evil that is a post ride pint?

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Beer, pub, pint references in all the bike mags’ is closed to new replies.