Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Beer, pub, pint references in all the bike mags
  • hora
    Free Member

I've noticed it frequently in such mags as MBUK as well which I feel is a yoof-orientated mag. Recent one was 'x couldnt come to the pub for a post-ride beer due to his age'(?).

Then theres the recent STW- not a bad ref though I must admit (wine bottle pic?).

Is it essential, a kid riding thinks he must drink after a ride? Or drinking is essential?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you mean the post ride beer's aren't mandatory?

Riding the last downhill of the day with beer goggles on is one of lifes great pleasures!

robbo1234biking

Dont tell the Mrs it isn't a mandatory requirement otherwise she would want me home after the ride had finished…

Pook

I only bought a bike 'cos I got banned for knocking a cyclist off while going through a red light after a few bevvies in the pub*

*all or part of this may not be true.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with pub and beer references at all. We all do it, it's not illegal, it's social, we've earned a pint…. Nothing better to complain about Hora?

😉

AndyP
    Free Member

if you've made it to the 'post-ride beers' then surely you were there for the mid-ride beers and the multiple hipflask stops anyway, so what's the problem?

grumm
    Free Member

We all do it, it's not illegal

I don't generally (not saying I wouldn't), and given the massive harm done by alcohol generally in society it's kind of a fair point. Alcohol straight after heavy exercise is especially bad for you as well I believe.

scaredypants

heavy exercise

😯 ❓

I'm too old – go home & to bed after my weekly night ride

Don't see anything wrong with social rides ending in a pub though – races presumably end with fruit-aroma'd group urinations in the nearest hedge/macdonalds instead

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don't generally (not saying I wouldn't), and given the massive harm done by alcohol generally in society it's kind of a fair point. Alcohol straight after heavy exercise is especially bad for you as well I believe.

Oh FFS, listen to yourself. Jeezus H Christ…. You can't say diddly-squat here without someone taking your words, implying their own meaning, and blowing it out of all proportion. Just for you I'm going to MAKE SURE I have a beer after my next ride. 😉

rolfharris
    Free Member

I don't drink beer purely because I ride a bike. I'll have other drink, but apart from a few around Christmas I stay off it.

Once a month we have a pub ride, but I don't think anyone's ever bought alocohol on it because of the ride home.

Pook

Just for you I'm going to MAKE SURE I have a beer after my next ride.

I'll drink to that

noteeth
    Free Member

I love Dirt Rag's ale review, always well written – the latest 'un (on so-called "sour" brewing) was especially interesting. Ah, US microbrews…. Hic. 😀

robdob
    Free Member

It's a good point I think. I wouldn't particularly want a magazine my teenage son (ok I don't have one ok?) was reading to continually report on the drinking they did after every ride. The smaller magazines have a niche following so it might be a different thing with them. I don't mind the odd reference here and there but I think it's definately mentioned more than say 10 yrs ago. Substitute "a post ride pint" with "post ride cigarette" and I think more people would agree with the OP.

Awaits obvious responses.
    "people make up their own minds"
    "it's a free society"
    "they don't have to read it"
    "they cab publish what they want"
    "parents have a role to play"
    "it's not illegal"

blah blah! 😉 (notice wink please!)

hora
    Free Member

Dont get me wrong. Im an old-soak however it just gives a slight undertone for anyone who is impressionable or say a Muslim that biking is linked to a booze-culture?

vdubber67
    Free Member

I've never really seen the connection between cycling and beer / alcohol. You wouldn't go for a 10k run then have a pint would you?

😉

MrSparkle

No but after a Fell Race it's virtually compulsory!

Drac

it just gives a slight undertone for anyone who is impressionable or say a Muslim that biking is linked to a booze-culture?

Does it ****!

wors

Real Ale review in the next mag please!

MadPierre

Biking is linked to a booze culture for me and that's one of the things I like about it! I can booze with less belly because I cycle…

The post ride "de-brief" is part of the evening / afternoon. Weekends / weeks away wouldn't be half the fun without the pubs. And as for the annual sherry run…. 😮

The social side of cycling (and therfore drinking) is important to me and others so why not mention it in the odd article? Pubs are an important part of British society that are sadly in decline these days.

Better the youth of today thinks a pint in the pub after some exercise is a good thing rather than guzzling alcopops to get drunk in the park?

ahwiles
    Free Member

or, the post-ride-beer influence in the mags is a good thing for the yoofs to read about…

i think the

'drinking beer is a nice relaxing thing to do in chilled out setting after you've earned it riding your bike with your mates (snacks are good too)'

influence is much better than the

'beer should be drunk in multiples of six, very quickly, standing up in a crowded bar'

influence that the yoofs are being presented with from every other direction.

(edit: Madpierre got there first, and said it better than i could)

(and yes, fell-running isn't actually possible without a recovery-pint, i've tried, and it just can't be done)

twohats
    Free Member

Once a month we have a pub ride, but I don't think anyone's ever bought alocohol on it because of the ride home.

Sounds like a bag of laughs event! Why even bother with the pub?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dont get me wrong. Im an old-soak however it just gives a slight undertone for anyone who is impressionable or say a Muslim that biking is linked to a booze-culture?

Ah, so you think Muslims are a bit simple and can't cope with such subtleties?

bigdonx
    Free Member

If the yoofs stuck to drinking pints, instead of alcopops and other much more "efficient" ways to get blootered, our world would be a better place……. the quantity factor would slow them down a bit 🙂

snowslave

Ban everything.

hora
    Free Member

Ban everything.

Totally disagree. Real Ale pubs should only employ 18-21yr old ladies and the said-pubs should be renamed 'baps' (or barms depending where you live) ,,,as in hooters but classier.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I have to agree, I don't think the promotion of drink culture in relation to a sport/bike culture is a necesary thing.

Fair enough if it's the odd refernce along side that of other parts of journo's life eg kids, DIY, family, finances etc or anything else that has a RELEVANT point. But I don't like the idea of giving the impresion that you must act a certain way if you're a member of a sporting subculture.

STW is clearly aimed at those of an older age bracket who have gone beyond sudden trends and are happy with themselves and their chosen style of riding and therefore probably has less of a responsibility re' setting a good exampe as we're all grown ups. MBUK on the other hand is clearly aimed at the younger market

I'm sure my mates and I weren't alone in desperately apeing the antics/bike set up/phrases of the big boys in MBUK when we were impresionable Yoofs keen to have an identity and I think this is an important thing for an editor to bear in mind.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

We all do it, it's not illegal, it's social, we've earned a pint….

you can have mine Peter 🙂

MadPierre

My nephews are too busy lusting after the expensive bike sin the ads and saying "Wow!" to the pictures of Sam Pilgrim doing some insane stunt to read the words in MBUK!

I think I'll have to take them to the pub after our next ride?

hora
    Free Member

Just for the mags. I'd like to see the drink references replaced with nutrition or more diet tips.

I don't need a writer trying to emphasise with me. Just think there is a level of almost subliminal 'beer' in bike mags with a potential young readership.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

. Just think there is a level of almost subliminal 'beer'

but doesn't that merely reflect the explicit alcohol promotion in common usage:
    I need a drink
    There's drink in in for you
    I'll buy you a pint
    Beer vouchers
    Think drink
    I wouldn't trust a man who couldn't take his liquor
    etc etc ad nauseam

saxabar
    Free Member

So who's up for some post-ride E's then? Just to keep the buzz going, like 😉

awh
    Free Member

So who's up for some post-ride E's then? Just to keep the buzz going, like

Is mountain biking more dangerous? Prof. Nutt must have some spare time to look at the stats!

landcruiser
    Free Member

There is definately a stronger connection in the MTB world with going to the pub for a post ride pint or three! (otherwise we would all be "Skinny roadies") If the people writing have a 'post ride pint' culture then that will be included,in their articles. Not only do I not think that this glamorises drinking but I do not think that these magazines are read by young and impressionable kids anyway.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

you can have mine Peter

Cheers Simon, that's most kind of you! 😀

Forge_Master
    Free Member

You forgot to mention the constant glamorisation of cake!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So who's up for some post-ride E's then?

well, I think the point is, alcohol IS a dangerous drug (possibly the most dangerous, particularly to other people), but many manage to use it relatively benignly, so why should the same not be the case with the other drugs? Levelling prohibition against them allows a criminal subculture to exploit them for (massive) profit

MadPierre

Singletrack seems to often mention in its articles probably the most used drug in this country: caffeine (in the form of coffee)….

Most people are addicted to that without even realising.

So what are you suggesting? Random UCI drug (reference) checking for bike mags? 😉

CountZero

Christ, people on here are getting as bad as the Americans, with their Puritanical attitude to drinking beer. I'm waiting for a subscriber to cancel his subscription 'cos beer is written about, as I've seen happen in Bike Magazine. If children are brought up by responsible parents to treat alchohol as something to be enjoyed for it's flavour, and to drink moderately, there'd be few problems. Does anyone really think that what's written about in a bike mag is going to turn children into beer monsters? I don't think so, peer pressure is a far greater influence, and as for what a Muslem might think, well, what business is it of yours? Far too many people nowadays like to be offended on behalf of others who generally couldn't give a toss. I think it provides some sort of purpose in their otherwise sad and empty lives.

MadPierre

Anyone fancy a pint?

bigdonx
    Free Member

Alchohol is addictive – but you do have to work at it. But it is also legal and therefore can be tried by anyone over 18. Surely it is better to try and foster a culture of "responsible" drinking – eg have some exercise, have a couple of beers and a bit of banter, go home a happy bunny, not an angry voilent bunny?

In reality kids are going to try alchohol anyway, and I don't think we can blame the mountaini biking press for this.

It also occurs to me that the kind of kids who would read MBUK, and ride a bike are not really the ones that will develop problems (in most cases) as they already have something to do other than drink full time.

And anyway, most of them are far too stoned out of their heads to make sense of the words in MBUK anyway…….. 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Beer, pub, pint references in all the bike mags’ is closed to new replies.