• This topic has 53 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by luke.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Beer prices at Real Ale Festivals
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

If you were doing a charity real ale festival (among other things), what price would you set the beer at?

a) £2.50 – make some money and people are happy
    b) £3.00 – make a bit more money and people aren't upset
    c) £5.00 – fleece the customers as they are stuck there now
    d) Other?

uplink
    Free Member

They all seem a bit dear to me – £2.20 ish [a good Northern price] 🙂

U31
    Free Member

£2.50 ish to compete with Wetherspoons real ale events?

Jerome
    Free Member

I go to the Hove Beer festival every year – darn south.
    Think we are talking £3.60- £4.00 a pint.
    Option to buy halves aswell.
    Seems a bit pricy, but you pay in tokens you have pre-bought so not real money.
    Make sure the beer is good, and there of loads of big hairy men to add the feeling of a beer festival.
    Oh and pub games. Skittles/ Shove h'penny and the like.
    maybe a folk band – not too loud though.
    J.

singletrackmind

A

Especially as I can probably get a few ££££'s knocked off the prices you have been quoted already .

The beers at the GBBF last week were between £2.00 and £3.00 a pint , abv dependant obviuosly.

Charge b / c and people will be more inclined to bring their own from a supermarket. It will be tins of pish , but the end result is the same.

singletrackmind

Folk band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cock off.

cynic-al
    Free Member

a or b depending onlocal prices an wheher other stuff is priced accordingly, whether entrance costs etc.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Folk band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cock off.

+1 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

I don't think they do folk

http://www.myspace.com/cockoffsite

marsdenman
    Free Member

d. what's the price of a decent pint in your local hostelry / surrounding areas?
    Base it on that (maybes less 10p a pint) – folk can't complain and, assuming the local pub ain't giving it away, the charity event makes a profit…
    So, anyways, this charity event of yours got a name yet 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Or regional pricing:

Northern: 89p, comes boiling hot, with pieces of coal in't.
    Southern: £3, cold, mixed with lemonade 50/50
    That London: £16, served in a thimble, can only be purchased with steak tartre, poisson de mer (Colin) avec pommes frittes and roulade au chocolat (£123.67).

RepacK
    Free Member

Option for half-pints & say £2.20 – 2.50?

Or higher price but let people know that x pence of every pint goes to charidee mate.

IHN

£3.00 sounds fair.

ahwiles
    Free Member

isn't micro brewery beer blessed with lower taxes and stuff?

seems a bit rude to charge bar prices for cheap beer at a crap venue (a cold tent in a wet field with stinking toilets and a sodding folk band)

£2.50 / pint.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

£2.50 – a good price. £3 – more what i would expect to pay. £3.50 – bit gutted it's not cheaper. £4. i'd have 2 beers and call it a day out of principal, afterall i'm not paying to sit in a comfy leather chair, i'm standing in a beer filled mud pit. Personal opionion like.

grumm
    Free Member

Slightly under £3 🙂

And I quite like some folk music 😳

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Split the difference at £2.75

Three quid a pint is still a bit hard to swallow for a lot of people especially those up north

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I think £3 is fair you can get pretty merry for £15, and spend a fiver on food, good day out for £20.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pound a pint.

Harry_the_Spider

£3 a pint at HtN. Any less and the bar man said he wouldn't cover his expenses.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

£2.50 = people will buy more beer (round of 4 pints is a tenner which is more appealing than £12 obviously) so you'll make more in the long run. Will be easier for your bar staff to do change and that.

Maybe have a couple of 'specials' which cost more. Would please the nichemongers with their stupid bikes.

CountZero

Folk band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cock off.

Led Zeppelin were a folk band. Try listening to Led Zep III sometime. Fairport Convention host Cropredy, supported by Wadworth's Brewery. Bheer and (decent) folk are synonymous.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Ask MrNutt if he considers his music folk. I think his set on the Sunday is as close as it will get to folk.

Harry_the_Spider – There speaks a man who has done this stuff before.

I think we will probably go for £2.50 for the beer.

Now what about the fruit based drinks for the laydees?

Pinot Grigio for white
    Cab Sav for the red
    Waht ever is on offer for the pink

Priced at ?? per large glass

sc-xc

2.50 for wine as well. Keeps it nice and simple.

uplink
    Free Member

Priced at ?? per large glass

keep it simple £2.50

geoffj

Pinot Grigio for white

A little bit nasty unless its a nice one.

A nice Chardonnay is classier IMHO.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Make it a nice even price so Luke doesn't have to think too hard about adding it up after 48hrs solid manning the bar! £2.50 seems reasonable to me, £3 a bit steep….

(and make it free, or half price at the very least for the photographer I reckon 😉 )

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Right, STW has set the bar prices for the BBB.

I will be back tomorrow with the next admin decision

Night all

Wanders off to start laminating the number boards

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

"fruit based drink for the laydezz"

My lady will drink pints of bitter. Is that OK?

(Or G&T. But that gives her truly shocking death-breath in the morning, so please 'forget' that!)

luke
    Free Member

I thought beer was cheap up north but £3 a pint at HtN, that's southern prices 😆 I can see where the guy running your bar came across the figure to make it worth while, last year I bought a fair bit of kit to save money on having to hire it and this helps to keep the costs down. We also collect the beers to keep the costs down.
    The cheap cooking beer in my local is £2.85 a pint anything worth bothering with is over £3.00 a pint.
    There are hidden costs to running a beer tent, other than just buying the beer.
    Yes the beer is from micro brewers and bought at a good price, yes it's in a tent, although it was warm and dry last year, no folk bands to my knowledge.
    And yes there will be halfs available as there were last year

luke
    Free Member

I must type faster, but have been juggling emails with working out the cost of a pint of beer, with my last reply.
    There will be no spirits as it's a family fun event so spirits are out.
    The pricing will be simple as it was last year.

smell_it
    Free Member

Much as I love real ale, I'd rather blow a tramp that be subject to a folk band. With regard to pricing, don't some beers cost more than others so prices will vary abit bit dependant on brew. I'll happily pay more for a quality brew, and if I was attending a charity do I'd expect to be subject to a bit of 'charity tax' on prices

luke
    Free Member

Yep some beers cost a fair bit more than some of the others you can easily pay three times more for one beer than another.
    The thing is the more expensive ones are not normally the better one's.

uplink
    Free Member

Last time I looked around to buy a reasonable quality ale in bulk, prices were around the £1.20/pint mark

Kahurangi

Tynedale Beer Festival was £1.25 a half, so £2.50 a pint is spot on.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

My local is £2.20 for a pint of proper beer. Posh lager is £3 a pint… really posh fruit beer is £4.90 a pint!

Actually, most the pubs I go to around these parts are in the £2.20 – £2.50 a pint range for ale… always scares me when I go to the big city (ie Leeds/Sheffield) and they want £3+ for a pint. It's just wrong I tells you, time for a revolution!!!!

luke
    Free Member

£1.20 a pint buys you the beer, then add in transport, glasses, racking, taps and if you want cooling and the costs go up 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

£1.20 a pint buys you the beer, then add in transport, glasses, racking, taps and if you want cooling and the costs go up

so still around £1.20 then?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Bradford Uni beer festivals used to sell by the half pint

and never mind the folk band, they always had an oompah band 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Beer prices at Real Ale Festivals’ is closed to new replies.