Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Beer can stove problem.
  • luddite
    Free Member

When I asked what stove to buy someone said make your own, well I tried but…….
    ……..my first attempt at a beer can stove looks okay’ish but doesn’t work too well.
    To much yellow flame and takes an age to get going.
    Link to photo below.

http://db.tt/5dOqbZEO

So what have I done wrong?
    Are the holes too big?

yorlin
    Free Member

I think they might be a bit big… Time to drink another beer!

edit – what did you use to poke the holes in? The guide I read uses an awl, maybe one of those pins with the plastic handle would do the trick?

luddite
    Free Member

Or two!

TubsRacing
    Free Member

Not sure how this may help but my trangia does that if i put too much fuel in until it burns down a bit.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

So what have I done wrong?

Made the jet holes with a knife and fork from the look of it 😉

Are the holes too big?

Yes … try 1mm diameter holes, spaced at 10mm.

The yellow flame indicates too much fuel / not enough air … the semi-pressurised design doesn’t help here. Make another one but this time put the jets around the outer circumfrence about 15mm down from the top. Stand your pot directly on the stove top … remember not to put it on until your stove has bloomed. Any yellow in the flame should go after 30 seconds or so. There’s actually quite a lot of science goes into making a meths stove.

porter_jamie

grill it, red sauce and two bits of white bread. yum.

luddite
    Free Member

Mk2 complete.
    Started drilling 1mm holes but, D’oh!, the bit snapped.
    So the holes are 1.5 mm.
    Just boiled approx 300ml, mug full, of water in 4 mins. 🙂 🙂 🙂

officialtob
    Free Member

I read the subject as “Beer can solve problem”.

Am now insanely disappointed. 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

Snapped drilling through can aluminium ? 😆

Or was this a Chuck Norris beer can made from graphene ?

muddyground
    Free Member

Just use those pins people use to hold notices up on cork boards. No need to buy any – just borrow one next time you pass.

Houns

porter_jamie – Member
    grill it, red sauce and two bits of white bread. yum.

POSTED 6 DAYS AGO # REPORT-POST

😆

chives
    Free Member

Use an old spoke as a drill bit (great for woodwork too).

dknwhy

Save yourself the hassle and buy one of Stu’s brilliant meths stoves from the bear bones website:

Stove

belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for the notice board pins – they make perfect sized holes.

jameso

Just use those pins people use to hold notices up on cork boards.

did mine with these, works great.

luddite
    Free Member

The mk2 in action….

https://db.tt/YYFBlLbn

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Save yourself the hassle and buy one of Stu’s brilliant meths stoves from the bear bones website:

For £20+ ??? and isn’t part of the fun making it yourself ?

@ludite that looks better – I made a couple for when I camp, along with wind break[from beer can and old spokes] and pot stand [from grill off disposable bbq] that all fit in a small Pringles tub which fits neatly inside my mug.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

luddite
    Free Member

How stable is the pot stand and how do you work out the correct height?

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Pot stand in pic is upside down – it fits inside the rim of the primer dish [lid off a soup can]. Height was determined as roughly where initial flames peaked , if that makes sense.
    Once you’ve found/made a level patch of ground it’s sturdy enough for the small kettle/pan and the small frying pan I use. Cooked up a fine breakfast of bacon sausage and beans with a mug of tea when I used it a few weeks ago.

To pack it all into the tub items go in the following order –
    pot stand upside down – windshields – both stoves – penny’s – snuffer[?] – windshield pegs[ pushed down sides at 12,4 and 8 o’clock] – primer dish
    You might have to cut a small ‘V’ at either side of the lip on the tub to allow a bit of give. This is not a problem as the tub is made sturdy by wrapping in Gorilla or duct tape.

allthepies
    Free Member

Looks like holes too big again, you want small roaring flames not big yellow ones.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

What allthepies says
    Try using a map pin but only the push the tip in. If your a bit cack handed push something back against the wall of the tin at the same time – end of a pencil works, chop stick is better as its usually curved

Stoner
    Free Member

good place to park this

belugabob
    Free Member

Nice looking flames on that, stoner.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve just spent 5mins making a very crude beer-can-stove and after a quick rummage in the garage I tried it with some white spirit, but it wouldn’t light properly, I’d get a brief yellow flame which would splutter and die despite there being fuel in the bottom of the can. Was this most likely down to poor construction, poor fuel (white spirit), both or something else? Thanks.

luddite
    Free Member

I think it was the fuel.

chives
    Free Member

Oh what have you started?! 😀 I think I’ll try sealing the inner sleeve to the top next time with JB Weld – should improve things further, oh, and slightly fewer holes. I cut it down to about half that height since and it seems to work ok. Definitely for Meths only.

[/url]
    20130925_184209 [/img]

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Beer can stove problem.’ is closed to new replies.