• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Been offered new job, what would you do…
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

Firstly I know im lucky as I currently have a job and there’s many out there that don’t.

I’ve been offered a new job in IT (3rd line helpdesk/on call engineer) which is what I want to get back into, money is slightly less than what im on at the moment in the current job, also I will have to use my car for business use but will get paid mileage, another big point is that it is an 18 month fixed contract.

I have been at my current job for 11 years, I guess its as safe as it can be in the current climate – im not happy as ive been doing the same role for 7 years with no sign of going up the ladder and management haven’t got a fekin clue, however its good hours and I like the lads in the office I work with.

I guess it is a case of “better to be at the bottom of a ladder you want to be on than halfway up one you don’t” – the wife and all family are saying go for it, you don’t know where it might lead and you will regret it.

I guess it’s just the 18month contract that freaks me out, but to be honest with the current job all it would take is one big job to fail and we’d sink in 5 minutes.

cheers

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Go where your heart points you and that is clearly saying the new job.

We are all too long dead.

spacemonkey

We are all too long dead.

We’re not all tranny f^&kers though 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve been offered a new job in IT (3rd line helpdesk/on call engineer) which is what I want to get back into

That should tell you all that you need to know!

Good luck!

jon1973
    Free Member

We’re not all tranny f^&kers though

😆

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers, i know ive answered my own question…… 🙄

Cougar

im not happy

There’s your answer.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We’re not all tranny f^&kers though

Unfortunately I am not getting this…. ❓

SamB
    Free Member

I’d say go for the new job. If you play your cards right when leaving the current place, you could even leave yourself with the option of moving back in 18 months if things don’t work out. Nice to have a backup plan and all that 🙂

spacemonkey

Unfortunately I am not getting this….

The Accused: Last night, BBC 1, 9pm

toby1

Management isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, just saying!

Depends on how much you want to move up and if you have any interest in what you are doing vs what you will be doing. Sounds to me like there is more to think about than just not liking the lack of promotions. There are many patches where the grass is greener 🙂

<slightHijack> I’m actually meeting a guy on Friday that is keen to get me to go and work for him, but where I am now is relatively comfortable and stable and pretty well paid, the new option would be more responsibility, risk and further than the nice cycle commute I have at the moment, but would probably come with a company car and a decent bump in salary. I know it’s not really a problem, but if he does make me an offer I have no idea which way to go.

I’m not really asking for advice by the way, this is just someplace to write it all down 🙂

</slightHijack>

Which ever way you go monkeyboy, good luck with it 🙂

spacemonkey

Which ever way you go monkeyboy, good luck with it

Yep, from one primate to another: best of luck either way.

chakaping
    Free Member

The company isn’t a startup is it?

So long as you’ve no real expectation of it going belly up then go for it.

FuzzyWuzzy

What area of IT support are you in? If say on the desktop side I’d be a bit worried about switching to a contract now unless I had good SCCM or enterprise app roll-out type skills as after 18 months you’ll be competing against a lot of other contractors for the more generic support roles.

qwerty
    Free Member

im not happy

hora
    Free Member

Less money
    Not a permanent role
    In a recession?

Wait until either a fantastic paying contract comes up or a perm job in that area.

18months? They could can you within a month in the role.

br
    Free Member

18 month fixed contract.

Worse case scenario for employment; no protection, no benefits and PAYE (full rate tax and NI)…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Been offered new job, what would you do…’ is closed to new replies.