Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Been drowned on a bike ride?
  • urb2004
    Free Member

You can now check out the weather on http://muddy-bikes.co.uk before you go out on a ride.

sharki
    Free Member

Why check the weather before hand?

You’ll find out what it’s doing when you’re in it.

jam-bo

why not check on a weather site?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i read a couple of the reviews on your site …. just to say .

Worst bike reviews ever …..

bike statement more like ….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Last Saturday we were due to do High St. lite so I checked the forecast, which said it would get cloudier and wetter in the afternoon. In fact the cloud lifted and it was blazing sunshine! Forecasts are pants, not worth wasting the time reading them 🙁

jam-bo

proper scientific critique of weather forecasting there then…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It is worth getting some understanding of how to read isobar charts tho – then you can use that along with looking at the sky and knowledge of local conditions to make your own mind up what will happen

IanMunro
    Free Member

Pah!, I just check my seaweed covered pine cone and i’m sorted.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

proper scientific critique of weather forecasting there then…

well, I usually don’t bother with the forecast at all as I don’t care what the weather will do, but if you’re going over real mountains it’s useful to have some idea of what it’ll be like, but often the forecast is useless 🙁 In this case not even the trend was right.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If my left shoulder hurts in the morning, then I know the weather’s going to change. if it doesn’t, then it might still change, I just don’t know

Spesh99
    Free Member

I don’t get it- you can also check the weather on the bbc, met office sites or thousands of other sites. Your not forecasting your own weather or providing weather specific to trail centres so I’m not sure what you are providing that is unique to your site.

MtbCol
    Free Member

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It is worth getting some understanding of how to read isobar charts tho

if the experts can’t get it right I shan’t bother :o)
    If you go to different sites they all have different forecasts, which sums it up. Witchcraft and snake oil :o)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SFB – or probabilities and judgement?

Its worth it for me. We have a micro climate around here and I bet you do as well. Knowing what happens in your local area when certain things are happening in the general weather systems is very useful

Still – why use knowledge when you can use prejudice and ignorance

epicyclo

Why the scepticism?

The experts are able to predict the weather in 100 years time (global warming etc), they wouldn’t feed us bovine excrement, would they? Therefore any forecast that’s only for a few days must be even more correct.

For example recently I went for a ride on a day that was supposed to be sunny but I came home wringing wet. The obvious explanation was that I was sweating a lot and the effort was affecting my eyesight because I could not see any blue in the sky. If it wasn’t for the experts I would have thought it was raining.

psychle
    Free Member

weather and climate are two very different things guv’ner…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Still – why use knowledge when you can use prejudice and ignorance

when the “knowledge” doesn’t work ? My colleague often tells me the rainfall radar says it’s raining in Lancaster, and we look out the window to see blue sky. I suspect the weather gets more unpredictable when there are mountains, and we have lots 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SFB – the point you so spectacularly miss is that if you combine the general weather forecast with a knowledge of your own area and an ability to read a weather chart you can actually do quite well. I can’t remember the last time I was caught in unexpected weather of any sort – up in the mountains or down in the lowlands.

Weather forecast says warm front coming in from the shouth west – look out of the window to the south and see if you can see it. Once you see it you have a couple of hours until it rains. Often they are delayed reaching edinburgh because of the shape of the land.

Easterlies = haar around here on a rising tide on a warm day – and so on.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the point you so spectacularly miss is that if you combine the general weather forecast with a knowledge of your own area and an ability to read a weather chart you can actually do quite well

says you! It might work for you but there’s no way I have the attention span for that, or belief in its feasibility.

I can’t remember the last time I was caught in unexpected weather of any sort

it happens to me most days 🙂 I’m not sure I want to know what’s going to happen. I’d definitely prefer to get wet than have to read a weather chart.

look out of the window to the south and see if you can see it.

uh, there are hills in the way…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whats that wooshing noise?

jam-bo

wind

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Been drowned on a bike ride?’ is closed to new replies.