Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Been done to death but recommends for commuting clothes
  • donks
    Free Member

I have a brief:

Short commute each day of about 4 miles with a quick train journey to start.
    I use a smallish crumpled bag for really just sarnies and wallet

Just fitted mudguards (which now make the front of the stooge feel weird and unbalanced) but do at least stop a good deal of spray and crap.

What I now need are good, well priced waterproof throw on’s to stop me getting so piss wet through as it only ever lashes it down in the 20 Minute period I ride to or from work.
    As its a short ride and I’m not trying to qualify for the TDF I won’t sweat like a beast so not too precious about superior venting. Most probably only need to use these if it’s tipping down and unlikely for long dirty off road rides…. Just the commute.

The plan Is to pack down a jacket into the bag and leave it there until needed. This would be light packable but actually waterproof so I don’t have to leave wet base layers all over the office. What’s good for less cash than Gore bike wear??. Oh and no high vis… I don’t touch a road if I can help it.

Then I would buy 2 pairs of 3/4 waterproof shorts. One left at work and one for home. If it’s raining when I leave for work the home ones get worn. If not I wear trousers and put on the work ones if it’s raining later. So what will keep my thighs and hopefully pants dry but not rinse me for a shed load of cash?

Then there’s overshoes!!! Never worn these before but wet shoes are a bastard so if I can prevent this as much as poss then great. I ride with approach shoes and flat pedals so no clips. Are there any reasonable over shoes that can be stuffed in the bag for a deluge situation?

Face and head?? I’m going to admit I don’t wear a helmet for riding on cycle paths…. I know! But if there’s anything out there that is light and fairly weather tight with a peak to stop the driving rain in my eyes then I could be swayed?

So commuting gurus what gems have you got for me?

bob_summers

Is it worth changing clothes for just 4 miles? How flexible is your timing? I bet you could avoid a great many soakings by leaving earlier/later, or taking shelter while a shower passes. Decent ‘guards should keep a lot of water out of your shoes, they’ll be almost dry after a few hours stuffed with newspaper.

I use a Levi’s rain jacket on my commute – seems to perform well enough but can’t comment on value as it was a prezzie.

warpcow
    Free Member

What bob said. My commute is about the same distance, mostly uphill on the way there, downhill back. I just do it in regular clothes with an outer layer appropriate to the weather. If I had a job that required I wear a suit I might think differently.

donks
    Free Member

I get a train at the same time each day…. Miss it and I’m stuffed for ages so there’s very little flexibility. Like I said I would normally ride in what ever when dry but I’ve had so serious drenchings in the last couple of months so want some waterproof throw overs that can live in the bag. The mud guards certainly don’t save the feet. These are mud huggers fitted to a stooge mtb so not full length commutie bike affairs.

CraigW
    Free Member

A cotton cycling cap (with a peak) does help a lot for keeping rain off your head and face. Especially useful if you are wearing glasses. Not actually waterproof, but will keep your head mostly dry for 20 minutes.
    I like Walz caps. Or Vulpine have some water resistant caps, might be nice for winter.

1-shed
    Free Member

Probably a trip to Decathlon would sort you out at not too big an outlay.

donks
    Free Member

Just off to decathlon actually so I’ll see what they have. Don’t reckon they’ll have waterproof shorts though?

1-shed
    Free Member

Their walking trousers are good for cycling in, not waterproof but stretchy and dry quickly about £30.

donks
    Free Member

Just hit decathlon and have the following all for £120…. Less than the cost of the mid range gore bike wear coat I looked at yesterday:

Decathlon top end Waterproof cycling jacket
    Decathlon cycle helmet with good peak (enduro style one?)
    Winter gloves
    Merino cycling socks x2
    Beanie
    2 fleece tops
    Pair of climbing trousers (jeans)

Looked at overshoes but I’m buggered if I could get them over my shoes. So Still looking…

Just need some decent shorts now and I’m good.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Perhaps you could get one of those waterproof spray things Aldi used to sell for your jeans etc.

tallie
    Free Member

Poncho and return the other waterproof top and you won’t need the shorts?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-city-poncho-yellow-black-id_8354731.html

paulwf

I wear smart shirt and trousers on my commute with trouser clips. Depending on how cold it is I either wear either a thin billet, thin jersey or a rain jacket.
    If it is wet I have decathlon waterproof over trousers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Been done to death but recommends for commuting clothes’ is closed to new replies.