Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bed wetting
  • KennySenior
    Free Member

My older boy is nearly 6 and he still wears a pull up at night, which is always full to bursting by the morning.

I know it’s not the end of the world and we don’t make a big deal out of it, but it would be nice to resolve it, so when he goes to stay with friends he isn’t embarrassed.

Anyone had a similar thing, and how did you resolve it?

Hohum
    Free Member

Our youngest has just turned 5 and still wets the bed regularly.

I think that we were lucky with the other two as they were dry at night quite quickly and therefore I expected little one to be the same as well. However, after doing a bit of googling I discovered that it is not that uncommon for children to carry on wetting their beds right through to the age of 6 or 7.

Eventually their brains learn the signal from their bladder and they wake up and go to the loo rather than wetting the bed. It just takes time and patience.

scaredypants

put a pair of pants on underneath it so he feels uncomfortable ?

yossarian
    Free Member

Eventually their brains learn the signal from their bladder and they wake up and go to the loo rather than wetting the bed. It just takes time and patience.

My 5 year old is just about there now, as is his younger brother. Sometimes I never thought we’d get there but we have. Cheap mattresses, mattress savers, lots of towels, smelly washing and a ton of love and patience will see you right.

Personally I’m not sure about using pull ups at night, we tried it with our kids and it seemed to make them very lazy about using the toilet in general. I’m sure there’s plenty of evidence that they are a good idea though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A pal’s 2 both do this at 5 and 7, pal advises they will grow out of it. Apparently it’s inherited – same with their dad.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Our 8 year old still regularly wets the bed. We found if we get him up after a few hours sleep and put him on the toilet he tends to stay dry but we put on a pull up for him anyway. We went to the docs about it and he prescribed a nappy type thing with a little water sensor attached to an alarm so when he starts wetting the bed the alarm wakes him up and so trains him to wake up eventually before the wetting starts. The only problem for us was that we then had to get up too at all hours of the night and it was too much hassle as we also have a baby to look after at night as well.

His older brother and younger sister are dry BTW.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Thanks. Rotor stern we tried that very thing for a fortnight but it was 2 or 3 times through the night so got a bit silly!

chickenman

Not at all uncommon for boys to do this up till puberty (even in to adulthood!. You can use prescription Desmopresin for holidays and sleepovers, nothing much else you can do!

bruneep

Youngest lad was prescribed Desmopressin for this. Within less than a month bingo cured. Go see a GP, although they may not do owt just now due to age. Boys are lazy when it comes to this.

Avoid the alarms as they just scared the the beejesus out of him and was reluctant to go to bed.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I was going to say the same as Roter Stern. Our eldest was in pull ups until 5 until we started taking him to the toilet when we went to bed.

The other thing we do is no drinks after 6pm which seems to help and make him go before bed; boys are lazy and tend to hold on til the last minute and by making him go even when he says he doesn’t need too it always produces a few drops.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Ahem, a friend of mine did this until he was about eight years old. Then my friend had to go on a school field trip and stay in a room with friends for 3 nights.
    Miraculously my friend stopped wetting the bed at this point.

sadexpunk

have you ruled out medical reasons?

our lad was the same so we checked him out, turns out he got bladder and kidney probs. hinmans syndrome i think it was. he was told it was likely hed have to have a bag for life 🙁 luckily (very luckily) the medication he was on worked far better than expected and hes living a normal life now.

thats not an attempt to worry you by the way, as everyone says its quite normal, just wondered whether you had even considered medical reasons as thats what it was in our case.

glupton1976
    Free Member

My oldest did this. He would always pee the bed around 11pm and just before waking up. What we did was wake him up just before 11pm and again just before he would normally wake up. After a few weeks he was taking himself to the toilet at those times.

sc-xc

Alarm from the enuresis clinic. Did the trick with our lad after a fortnight.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Mrs is a practice nurse, so I would hope she might know the signs if it was something more serious

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bed wetting’ is closed to new replies.