Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Because I'm not rad to the max……..
  • itsmygame
    Free Member

I hoping to get away with running a 1 x 10 setup without a chain guide 😯 cue omgs and wtfs.

Any who it’ll be on a hard tail I do have a clutch mech and it will not be blatted down hill.

Soooooo my question is……..

Which chainring should I go for ? Cheaper the better preferably under £25-30

I know about the xx1 type things and the alternative but they are a little out of my price range ATM.

Cheers guys

getonyourbike
    Free Member

At least get a top guide. I guarantee that you’ll drop the chain without an XX1 type ring or top guide. The top guide, clutch mech and normal chain ring combination works brilliantly with no extra drag and I’ve never dropped a chain. Just do it properly.

sandwicheater

Renthal seems highly regarded but went with a hope one in the end.

creamegg
    Free Member

Ive gone for a hope chainring on my 1×10 new build with clutch mech. Still in the middle of a build so cant comment on chain drops yet but i ride with guys that have clutch mech and no device and suffer no issues from dropping chains

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’d go with an on one stainless ring as it’s cheaper and longer lasting~ with the money you save you could buy a superstar top guide

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve been 1×10 for a while now. Replaced my outer ring with a bash guard and ditched the front mech. No chain drop at all. Totally secure, even over rough, rocky ground. I do have a Type 2 rear mech though, maybe that’s the difference.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member
    I’ve been 1×10 for a while now. Replaced my outer ring with a bash guard and ditched the front mech. No chain drop at all. Totally secure, even over rough, rocky ground. I do have a Type 2 rear mech though, maybe that’s the difference.

But you’ve still got something to stop the chain dropping off the outside, unlike what the OP is intending.

gringojimi
    Free Member

Running 1×10 on a hardtail with XT clutch mech, MRP chainring and no guide.

Ride around Thetford, so not exactly hammering any downhills, but I’ve not once dropped the chain.

I do have a Works Components XX1 style ring on order to give some extra security though.

Northwind

I got a Works one, just slightly above your £30 and seems better than the E13 it replaced for chain retaining… Haven’t really tested it enough yet but 2 rides with no device and no drops.

carlphillips
    Free Member

on one will last years

scaredypants

Because I am rad to the max, you’re now dead to me

Luckily you have no idea who I am, which may ease the pain I guess

Northwind

Oh yah, meant to add- 1×10 with clutch and normal single ring just didn’t work in the slightest for me, absolutely useless. Like, drop chain 6 times riding down falla brae at glentress useless, hardly the harshest test either so not really about radness.

1×10 with clutch and Works ring is working well so far, 1×10 with MRP 1X top guide worked very well before.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Middleburn for the win.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

E-13 Guide rings are nice (last one did 4 years+)

itsmygame
    Free Member

Cheers for the input guys anymore thoughts?

Come on scardypants show yourself lol

soma_rich
    Free Member

I run 1×10 on my XT cranks with no chain guide. It only drops off on the bumpiest descents or when I do little jumps. I might buy a guide eventually but its not bothering at the mo.

I only have an XT shadow rear mech with no clutch also, so I imagine your be fine.

sv

Building a 1×10 at the minute and I have a Renthal chainring to go on, still cant decide on chain devices. Would a bash and say a Hope guide be sufficient? (Ordering a clutch mech)

swavis

Blackspire DH ring off CRC, they come in pretty colours and last years.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m going to be all non-STW and say an FSA DH ring, they’re unramped and £16.40 at tweeks cycles

ahwiles
    Free Member

on one steel ring + superstar guide* working a treat for me.

(*it’s the £17 one that’s held on by the BB**)

(**which is a rubbish idea on it’s own – i’m using an old DMR seat tube clamp to secure it at the top)

no clutch mech tho’ – i guess i’m doomed.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Every time I read one of these threads and look at peoples wildly differing experiences I’m forced to conclude that while it sounds like we are all talking about the same type of riding, the variation in riding styles and terrain ridden is really so big as to render any recommendation other than “Try it and see how you get on” more or less useless. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

it will not be blatted down hill

WTF then what is the point?

Any how I have renthal & hope rings, renthal is nicer

FOG

I have been looking at going 1×10 for a while mainly to avoid one more thing to adjust or go wrong but being an old geezer with little left in the legs I use the Granny ring, not a lot, but enough to think I would miss it. What gearing would be a reasonable compromise of climbing ability versus speed on more open bits or the road between trails?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Sram type 2 and no device here, OK so far, only one mid gnar chain loss in a couple of months, one when lifting over a gate, and one freewheeling over a rough wooden bridge. In short they hold the chain through tech, but there are other things with different types of motion that can drop the chain, I’m considering a simple top guide of some kind, a la the bionicon one.

ahwiles
    Free Member

FOG – Member

I use the Granny ring, not a lot, but enough to think I would miss it. What gearing would be a reasonable compromise of climbing ability versus speed on more open bits or the road between trails?

i’m a skinny weakling – i’m a twiddler, not a masher, and i’ve found 32ring + 11/34 cassette ok.

eventually, i’ll get a 10speed 36tooth cassette, and i guess that’ll be even more ok.

stewartc
    Free Member

Running a Widgit chainring (http://www.widgit.com.au/) at the moment with my XT drivetrain that includes a Shadow Plus and it seems to be working OK.
    Although its a little above your budget you may be able to pick up a good 2nd bargain, it also means that you do not need to worry (in theory) about chain retention at the front.
    Still early days with it but opted for a 30t ring up front (11-36t at back) and not found it too difficult to climb although I must stress I have only been out on a couple of solo runs so far.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Whilst waiting for my XX1 chainset I’m running a 10spd Zee rear short cage clutch mech and a Blackspire DH non ramped ring. I’ve had loads of chaindrops. I’m really hoping the XX1 will remedy this.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Because I'm not rad to the max……..’ is closed to new replies.