Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Beastway Returns May 15th
  • manitou
    Free Member

Cant wait.. used to love Beastway..
    Who else is going to get down there?

aP
    Free Member

I might try and go get my arse handed to me. Same old route out past the Homerton Hospital and across Hackney Marshes?
    Which end of the QE Park do you get into it by?

manitou
    Free Member

no idea how you get there post Olympics, I used to ride through Victoria Park and then through some houses, which may have been demolished! will do a reccy ride I think

Ladders
    Free Member

Can’t wait!

Anyone know what the course will be like? Is it a fixed circuit sort of thing?

manitou
    Free Member

When it ran originally they varied it slightly every week, even running the course back to front.. if you know what I mean.. It used to be a 3 and a half mile lap. Whether theres enough room left with the Velodrome there now who knows.. going to go over and have shufty 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Yep, think I am going to come and play. Almost 10 years since I last did it.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I won’t be able to attend given that I’ve emigrated, but I’m still really happy that Beastway is coming home.

Hopefully it’ll be able to become again the great thing for London cycling that it previously was for over 10 years before the Olympics demolished Eastway. I have a special fondness for it since it was fantastic racing on fun courses with big fields that tuned you up really well, plus I was involved volunteering most weeks for a while and knew the organisers and the sponsor Brixton Cycles quite well. There was a real sense of community, fun, and friendliness that was special.

Many users fought to secure an Olympic legacy mtb area that seemed to dwindle into something too small to be usable as planning promises were broken. Removed as I am I was therefore amazed to hear that somehow 5km/miles? of mtb trails of varying technicality have been built afterall in legacy. Hopefully the Beastway course designers will still be able to strim new connecting trails and interesting transitions to provide that different course every week. I was proud to have to have cut a new short, sharp climb/descent out that gave a new option between the slag heap and the 180 singletrack section under the trees.

Good luck Beastway, happy memories!

turboferret

Same as Jay above, used to love Beastway, a regular Wednesday evening thrash 🙂 A bit of a trip from India to attend though…. A sign of a good race was when you couldn’t sleep the night after as you’d been doing so much overtaking through the nettles and brambles!

Glad to hear it’s back, hopefully it’ll be as good as it used to be.

Cheers, Rich

growinglad
    Free Member

Yep, another one out of Blighty now but did a few “races”, good fun event.

Even though it was a race, I always felt as though there was a really great atmosphere of we’re all in it together and I’m competing against myself rather than I must beat everyone else at all costs.

Ah, those were tut days!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Beastway Returns May 15th’ is closed to new replies.